Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

BBC coverage

France v Wales

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,320 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:11 PM

Sky take note,how a game should be called,no "opinions",no "controversy",just caling the game.Spot on by the BBC.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#22 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:59 PM

I really enjoyed the game. I like Dave Woods commentary and I too though Eorl was ace in the studio.

I am just grateful that it is on TV at all to be honest. It is Heineken Cup Union all weekend on SKY so thanks to BBC for sticking it on.

#23 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,494 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:29 PM

I also enjoyed the game and I thought the BBC coverage was great. It is great that the BBC is covering our internationals even when they don't involve Australia and New Zealand. In fact, the more coverage the BBC can give to rugby league the better. It can only do us good. Well done Beeb.

#24 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:36 PM

i reckon the bbc are gonna make a big push to screen the world cup next year.....i hope so

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#25 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:36 PM

i think mark chapman is a excellent host......i think he's gonna get the bbc RL gig now clare balding has jumped ship to channel 4

Balding hasn't 'jumped ship' as such. She has always been freelance and will still be able to present the BBC's RL coverage. It's suspected that she'll work on about half of Channel 4's 80-odd days of racing next year.

#26 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:38 PM

While it was nice of the BBC to show coverage of the France v Wales, but why was it on BBC2?

The racing on BBC1 - British Champions Day - was of a far higher profile than an RL game between Wales and France. In fact even if England had been playing, the game would still have been shifted to BBC2.

#27 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,402 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

i reckon the bbc are gonna make a big push to screen the world cup next year.....i hope so

I agree with you. It's vital we get huge national exposure that the BBC can give us. Sky is great for the game but the exposure to be had from terrestrial TV is massive and we need to be in the nations living rooms as a direct contrast with the RU borefest that will shortly follow.

#28 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:59 PM

Balding hasn't 'jumped ship' as such. She has always been freelance and will still be able to present the BBC's RL coverage. It's suspected that she'll work on about half of Channel 4's 80-odd days of racing next year.

ah right...thought channel4 had "signed her up"face of channel4 type of thing????

anyway....still i'd rather have chappers doing RL.....as good and as nice clare is,when shes hosting it's abit like "rugby league 101 for beginners "

OLDHAM RLFC

#29 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:01 PM

I agree with you. It's vital we get huge national exposure that the BBC can give us. Sky is great for the game but the exposure to be had from terrestrial TV is massive and we need to be in the nations living rooms as a direct contrast with the RU borefest that will shortly follow.

thinking about it.....putting france v wales on live,on a saturday afternoon......looks like they where testing the waters to me....be interested to see what the BARB viewing figures are?

OLDHAM RLFC

#30 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,494 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:16 PM

as good and as nice clare is,when shes hosting it's abit like "rugby league 101 for beginners "

I hope she will be on board next season for precisely this reason. Lots of people come to RL for the first time through the Challenge Cup. Therefore, it's very important that the anchor understands and can communicate the game in a easy to read fashion. Likewise we will need that kind of input when the World Cup comes along, should the BBC be given the broadcast rights (which I sincerely hope they are). So far as the World Cup is concerned it would be good to have the easy to read style alongside a style which assumes knowledge of the game but I still think it's important to have the easy to read style there because one aim of broadcasting the sport at all must surely be that we hope newbies will join the party?

#31 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:15 PM

BBC 2 here had the shinty/hurling international between Scotland and Ireland, so I watched online. I agree the coverage was great, and I was impressed by some of the defensive efforts by the Welsh lads (until I fell asleep, that is - I had been working in the morning, followed by a seven mile urban orienteering event in Dunblane!)
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#32 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:52 PM

I thought the BBC coverage was great. So what if it was on BBC2, at least everyone in the country can get it. The casual viewer not into horses could have turned over to watch a "team game" and enjoyed what they saw.

I liked the nice simple presentation - no buffoonery! The crowd looked sparse but this was explained on a number of occasions as being a good crowd in a large soccer stadium and the locals were turning up to their first ever game of League.

More of this please.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#33 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,149 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:00 AM

If anyone finds out the viewing figure it would be interesting to know. The racing on BBC1 pulled in a comparatively disappointing 1.1m.

http://www.guardian....-ascot-audience
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#34 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:03 AM

Thought it was a tight, combative game, good appreciative crowd of 11,000 in a non-heartland area that made a bit of noise, good commentary, punditry and presentation from the Beeb and great to see international Rugby League live on 'mainstream' telly on a Saturday afternoon.

I blame the RFL...

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#35 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:04 AM

ah right...thought channel4 had "signed her up"face of channel4 type of thing????

anyway....still i'd rather have chappers doing RL.....as good and as nice clare is,when shes hosting it's abit like "rugby league 101 for beginners "

She'll be there for all their big days at tracks like Cheltenham, Ascot, Newmarket and Sandown but there will be plenty of lower profile Saturdays next year where they'll put their 'B' team out. And hopefully those Saturdays will coincide with rounds of the Challenge Cup!

Another thumbs up here for Mark Chapman by the way; a good presenter both on tv and radio.

#36 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,750 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:06 AM

Tony Hannan tweeted a week or so back that he saw Clare at some event recently and she confirmed that she could no longer do RL because of the C4 deal (not her choice) and she got a bit teary at the Grand Final because of this.
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#37 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,473 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:55 AM

Tony Hannan tweeted a week or so back that he saw Clare at some event recently and she confirmed that she could no longer do RL because of the C4 deal (not her choice) and she got a bit teary at the Grand Final because of this.

Clare is definitely not tied to C4 - she's freelance. In fact, she's just signed up to host a forthcoming BBC quiz show.

If what Tony Hannan reported was accurate, it's a shame. Surely a few afternoons a year for the Challenge Cup can't be impossible?

As for the match, I had to record it, and stupidly saw the result before I got round to watching it. Still, it was enjoyable, committed stuff and I totally agree with the above opinions of the coverage, the presenter and the pundits.

Edited by Futtocks, 22 October 2012 - 08:57 AM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#38 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,473 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:01 AM

Only one downside regarding the BBC - I had Radio 5 on at various times on Saturday and Sunday, and if there was any mention at all of the fixture, I didn't hear it.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#39 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,750 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:10 AM

Clare is definitely not tied to C4 - she's freelance. In fact, she's just signed up to host a forthcoming BBC quiz show.

If what Tony Hannan reported was accurate, it's a shame. Surely a few afternoons a year for the Challenge Cup can't be impossible?

I imagine it's the BBC's choice rather than C4's. She may be freelance, but that's no use if you are annoying people by appearing on other channels most of the time.

Tellingly the quiz show is not sports related. I imagine C4 will be where she does all her sport from now on, and the BBC will be her other activities.

Edited by Amber Avenger, 22 October 2012 - 09:13 AM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#40 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,092 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:02 PM

this just in: @clarebalding Tell us it's not true! Have we lost you from BBCTV Rugby League? How bad is that?

She replied,"I'm afraid so. I have loved my rugby league time, everyone in it and will miss it terribly."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: France v Wales

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users