Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Euro Tri-Nations should replace the Exiles Series.....discuss!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 975 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:59 PM

There's nothing like proper test match footie not matches against fabricated teams. I think France and Wales are quite even and improving year on year, yes they are both a way off competing and beating England, but we must give them the chance to improve, its not where we are now but where we want to be in 5-10 years with this type of comp, it needs to be seen as a long term project, not a short term fix like Exiles.

Edited by The Daddy_merged, 20 October 2012 - 09:31 PM.

#2 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,810 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:15 PM

Lets wait to see what happens between England and the others first before making statements like this.

France played Wales midseason anyway.
Posted Image

#3 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,891 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:29 PM

proper tourny proper league, the wales boys played there hearts out. prefer this too exiles everytime
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#4 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 975 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:35 PM

Lets wait to see what happens between England and the others first before making statements like this.

France played Wales midseason anyway.

Its clear that England will beat both teams convincingly but we should give France and Wales the time and scope to improve. If Toulouse get into SL then France could double their pro playing numbers overnight this will be great for France and theyll improve very quickly from this.

#5 Henson Park Old Firm

Henson Park Old Firm
  • Coach
  • 298 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:32 PM

how about have a tri series with England, Wales, France and the winner of the series plays the Exiles.

#6 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,309 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:27 AM

Weekend 1 - Double Header in France
France v England
Wales v Exiles

Weekend 2 - Double Header in Wales
Wales v England
France v Exiles

Weekend 3 - Double Header in England
England v Exiles
Wales v France

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#7 Mushy

Mushy
  • Coach
  • 298 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:08 AM

France v England
Wales v Exiles

Wales v England
France v Exiles

England v Exiles
Wales v France

I quite like this. And I am in a minority in liking the Exiles concept. As a midseason venture this sounds great.

You'd want Ireland. Scotland and maybe the Knights to get a run too perhaps, although the disruption to the SL season might be too much. Perhaps one clear 'international' mid season weekend where everyone plays, followed by a couple of split rounds of SL like they do in Oz.

I would then have GB play whoever at the end of the year.

#8 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:22 AM

proper tourny proper league, the wales boys played there hearts out. prefer this too exiles everytime

Playing your heart out isn't enough at proper international level. Spirit can only go so far in making up for lack of talent.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#9 Tre Cool

Tre Cool
  • Coach
  • 455 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:25 AM

Exiles doesnt work imo, too many players rested this year. Get more French players at uk SL clubs and strengthen them.

#10 Swansea Jack

Swansea Jack
  • Coach
  • 240 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:29 AM

Playing your heart out isn't enough at proper international level. Spirit can only go so far in making up for lack of talent.

Are you saying that the current Welsh team lack talent. Rubbish. They are a very young side with number of players at Chamionship 1 level. All we need is experience and we will grow.

#11 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:46 AM

Are you saying that the current Welsh team lack talent. Rubbish. They are a very young side with number of players at Chamionship 1 level. All we need is experience and we will grow.

There are different levels of talent. The Welsh team I saw yesterday was one that worked hard but which had pretty low skill levels. Having talent is one thing, having enough talent is quite another.

There's a huge difference between having some talent and having international class talent. If a GB side were picked today which Welsh player would have any chance of being selected ? You're proud of your team and rightly so, but lets not pretend they're something they're not. I'm not trying to demean the Welsh team but it does nobody any favours to artificially inflate their capabilities.

#12 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,891 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:41 PM

only one way to improve and sport is full of instances of limited players becoming something more when in a team that motivates them, the spirit and feeling of sport is vital and a sport that relegates those qualities to history will die an asinine death.
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#13 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:47 PM

I saw last year 4 nations game, Wales V Australia at Wrexham and the Welsh put a fright up the Aussies in the first half. We won't talk about the 2nd half but they are well worth their place and will improve even more if the junior development works keeps producing players

#14 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,810 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:00 PM

France v England
Wales v Exiles

Wales v England
France v Exiles

England v Exiles
Wales v France

Why double headers?
Posted Image

#15 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,810 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:04 PM

I saw last year 4 nations game, Wales V Australia at Wrexham and the Welsh put a fright up the Aussies in the first half. We won't talk about the 2nd half but they are well worth their place and will improve even more if the junior development works keeps producing players

No international sides will be able to compete until they have a side full of full time players. Hopefully Wales can develop players to go into the other SL sides, but could really do with their own side ala NZ Warriors.
Posted Image

#16 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

No international sides will be able to compete until they have a side full of full time players. Hopefully Wales can develop players to go into the other SL sides, but could really do with their own side ala NZ Warriors.

That's one aspect of it. But they need to produce quality players for all teams not just one of their own. I read somewhere that there are around 100 players in the NRL who are eligible for NZ - that's the equivalent of 4 club squads, or 6 teams. Until they get to a point where they have a decent sized pool of genuine top flight players then I'm afraid they'll always be reliant on players who are qualifying on heritage and who have been overlooked or are not good enough for England. How can they possibly catch up or compete under those circumstances ?

#17 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:09 PM

France should build up the game against Wales. They don't want the RFL taking the game against England away for the next bright idea a few years down the line.
There's no dignity in plastic seats

#18 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,309 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:08 PM

Why double headers?

To stop some moaners complaining about travel and cost. 2 games for the price of 1 plus, if marketed right, a bit more of an event.

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#19 brooza

brooza
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:17 AM

There's nothing like proper test match footie not matches against fabricated teams. I think France and Wales are quite even and improving year on year, yes they are both a way off competing and beating England, but we must give them the chance to improve, its not where we are now but where we want to be in 5-10 years with this type of comp, it needs to be seen as a long term project, not a short term fix like Exiles.

I see the Exiles as a short-term stop-gap so England have a decent level of competition. Hammering France or Wales on a regular basis midseason is no good for anyone. Let France & Wales play each other for a while until they are stronger, then scrap the Exiles
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#20 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 693 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:48 AM

The Rugby League 5 Nations (plus the Exiles)?

Any less than that and it will always be inferior to the other one. You the know the whatsitcalledrugbyunion. But not realistic given the standard, sadly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users