TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Euro Tri-Nations should replace the Exiles Series.....discuss!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#21 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:07 AM

The whole Exiles thing is meaningless to me, if I'm honest. I just don't get enthusiastic about it in the slightest.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#22 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,081 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:26 AM

The whole Exiles thing is meaningless to me, if I'm honest. I just don't get enthusiastic about it in the slightest.

It's basically a training exercise. It serves its purpose of being a more difficult game for England. Until anyone else can, it needs to stay.
Posted Image

#23 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:00 PM

It's basically a training exercise. It serves its purpose of being a more difficult game for England. Until anyone else can, it needs to stay.

I understand that, but it also creates a problem in selling the fixture to fans. It is a training exercise.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#24 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,081 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

I understand that, but it also creates a problem in selling the fixture to fans. It is a training exercise.

We have a choice of that or a non-competitive game that the fans don't attend in large numbers.
Posted Image

#25 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:07 PM

I'd have a 5 Nations tournament every Autumn and simultaneously bring back Great Britain to play the big boys.

Everyone's a winner.
Posted Image

#26 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:41 AM

Why double headers?

To half fill out meduim-sized stadia because Engand RL 'fans' are rubbish and don't go to England games?

I quite like Wiltshire Rhino's idea [don't know if you like your real name being used on here mate] but I'd suggest mid-season and mid-week so not to clash with the Challenge Cup and Super League. If teams fade due to having a month without 1 - 2 key players (could say no more than 3 - 4 first team players from every club?) then that's their fault due to no strength in depth rather than the Internationals. Rugby Union clubs may grumble and may struggle during their Internationals but they manage.

Edited by HappyDave, 23 October 2012 - 07:45 AM.

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#27 Swansea Jack

Swansea Jack
  • Coach
  • 252 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:32 AM

There are different levels of talent. The Welsh team I saw yesterday was one that worked hard but which had pretty low skill levels. Having talent is one thing, having enough talent is quite another.

There's a huge difference between having some talent and having international class talent. If a GB side were picked today which Welsh player would have any chance of being selected ? You're proud of your team and rightly so, but lets not pretend they're something they're not. I'm not trying to demean the Welsh team but it does nobody any favours to artificially inflate their capabilities.

I appreciate your response. I will do my best to support the Welsh team and have bought tickets for all of their games in the World Cup.

#28 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:39 PM

I think the Euro Nations is a good idea and the fact that we had the France-Wales game live on BBC was a real positive. I also prefer 'proper' matches rather than made up teams although think Wiltshire Rhinos idea of throwing the Exiles in as well was interesting to make it a fourvteam comp. It gives the French and Welsh another game against top opposition and would also ensure England were tested, probably twice due to final. However, disagree with double-header concept, they add no value.
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004