Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

England games should be played in new places

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:50 AM

Noting that France drew a great crowd in a new area yesterday against Wales yesterday, why dont England take games to new places all over England? England crowds are notoriously bad in the heartlands - we would have only got 7k against Wales.

I would take games to the following:

-Cornwall and Devon
-Bristol
-Portsmouth/Soton
-Kent
-Norwich/Ipswich
-Coventry
-Birmingham
-Nottingham
-Newcastle/Sunderland

#2 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:40 AM

what, you mean give the tickets away just like at Lens ?

or are you expecting non RL folk to actually pay to watch such a game ?

#3 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,808 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:01 AM

I think we could give free tickets for kids and a percentage of people, say an early bird freebie.

By the way, I do think watching England in non RL places is much more interesting - a sort of on-tour or Wembley day out.

I was turned off the choice of locations for the England games because they are in the heartlands. If it was somewhere new then it would have made for a nice day out

#4 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:10 AM

I think we could give free tickets for kids and a percentage of people, say an early bird freebie.

By the way, I do think watching England in non RL places is much more interesting - a sort of on-tour or Wembley day out.

I was turned off the choice of locations for the England games because they are in the heartlands. If it was somewhere new then it would have made for a nice day out

'a nice day out' ?

jeez ! do you realize the french heartlands are at least a 10 hour drive (more like 12-14 hours for most) which means two overnight stays plus travelling costs at the end of october in Lens ? - people don't have the money or the inclination to undergo that kind of 'nice day out' !!!

any fool (Larrat or Dayan for example) can give tickets away and 'rentacrowd' for the occasion but with the match being shown only by Bein Sports in France (as I understand it) all the real bread & butter RL fans were robbed of chance to see their team

as a PR stunt it has been a farce !

#5 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:25 PM

French have always given tickets away freely. Remember years, years back crowd reported as - 6,089 paying 3,007.
si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#6 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:31 PM

Should be played around the country but that doesn't always have to mean new places. Nothing wrong with Leigh and Doncaster as long as it's not always Leigh and Doncaster.
There's no dignity in plastic seats

#7 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:39 PM

French have always given tickets away freely. Remember years, years back crowd reported as - 6,089 paying 3,007.

yeah, Albi for last game v Wales - they were giving away vouchers at the entrance

at least the crowd were predominantly RL fans

#8 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,789 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:51 PM

Are you honestly still going on about it? You're quickly becoming the most tedious poster on here, you're even surpassing Canetman.

The 'real' French fans have had the Catalans all summer, have now got the LER and, come next Autumn, will have World Cup rugby in Avignon and Perpignan. One game 'on the road' (which was still in France FFS) has not killed anyone.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#9 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:01 PM

yeah, Albi for last game v Wales - they were giving away vouchers at the entrance

at least the crowd were predominantly RL fans

And what if some of the crowd yesterday were suitably impressed by the sport and decide to become RL fans? Doesn't that make it a worthwhile exercise? How on earth is French RL ever going to grow if it keeps on selling itself to the same, small group of fans?

#10 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:28 PM

And what if some of the crowd yesterday were suitably impressed by the sport and decide to become RL fans? Doesn't that make it a worthwhile exercise? How on earth is French RL ever going to grow if it keeps on selling itself to the same, small group of fans?

Are you honestly still going on about it? You're quickly becoming the most tedious poster on here, you're even surpassing Canetman.

The 'real' French fans have had the Catalans all summer, have now got the LER and, come next Autumn, will have World Cup rugby in Avignon and Perpignan. One game 'on the road' (which was still in France FFS) has not killed anyone.

sorry for becoming 'tedious'

i'll carry on being tedious, if it's ok with you of course sir ?

as for being the new CM ? I am deeply honoured, many thanks JB

#11 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,613 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:33 PM

Noting that France drew a great crowd in a new area yesterday against Wales yesterday, why dont England take games to new places all over England? England crowds are notoriously bad in the heartlands - we would have only got 7k against Wales.

I would take games to the following:

-Cornwall and Devon
-Bristol
-Portsmouth/Soton
-Kent
-Norwich/Ipswich
-Coventry
-Birmingham
-Nottingham
-Newcastle/Sunderland

Games at Gloucester, Gateshead, Oxford and Coventry or somewhere near Hemel could be good promotional excercises for the new clubs and the Thunder and north east revival movement. A game in Cumbria is not a bad idea either. The game up there deserves to be showcased to the Cumbrian fan base. I am sure there would be some hometown heros somewhere in the England team.

#12 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:35 PM

By one get one half price would do nicely n would tempt me to take the Mrs how has no interest at all in RL she would simply be going for the 'nice day out' n we'd be able to spend some of that 'quality time' that she keeps banging on about.
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#13 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:36 PM

yeah of course, i'm sure many were impressed with the game simply because it IS a great game so how about holding next seasons LER Magic Weekend somewhere 'up north' in better weather in september and give the punters a free feast of RL ?

or maybe a couple of freebie high profile LER games say, FCL v ASC followed by UTC v TO13 in Lille or wherever as part of the LER season - my problem is with the national team playing their only home international at a venue so far away from the RL fans

a bit like having Wigan v Saints in a one-off at Watford or wherever as part of the SL regular season to spread the RL gospel further south

#14 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

Isnt the nrl playing a game in China or somewhere like that next year? Or have I dreamt that
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#15 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:43 PM

Isnt the nrl playing a game in China or somewhere like that next year? Or have I dreamt that

for the next five years apparently

#16 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:53 PM

yeah of course, i'm sure many were impressed with the game simply because it IS a great game so how about holding next seasons LER Magic Weekend somewhere 'up north' in better weather in september and give the punters a free feast of RL ?

or maybe a couple of freebie high profile LER games say, FCL v ASC followed by UTC v TO13 in Lille or wherever as part of the LER season - my problem is with the national team playing their only home international at a venue so far away from the RL fans

a bit like having Wigan v Saints in a one-off at Watford or wherever as part of the SL regular season to spread the RL gospel further south

I take your point about the only international being played 'up north' as it were, but that's one of the problems with the sport not playing many international matches. As for playing regular season games there, I doubt it would have the same impact. Even people who had never seen the sport before yesterday could at least get behind France, and best of all they won. The problem with playing league games between clubs representing towns with no connection to the one you're in is it has less appeal to the novice. It's one of the reasons I've never been in favour of the SL Magic Weekend as it is. All you end up with is a weekend away for the fans of the clubs. Fine if that's all it's for, but if you want to expand and attract new fans give them something they can easily buy in to - the national team.

#17 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:14 PM

I take your point about the only international being played 'up north' as it were, but that's one of the problems with the sport not playing many international matches. As for playing regular season games there, I doubt it would have the same impact. Even people who had never seen the sport before yesterday could at least get behind France, and best of all they won. The problem with playing league games between clubs representing towns with no connection to the one you're in is it has less appeal to the novice. It's one of the reasons I've never been in favour of the SL Magic Weekend as it is. All you end up with is a weekend away for the fans of the clubs. Fine if that's all it's for, but if you want to expand and attract new fans give them something they can easily buy in to - the national team.

agree with a lot of that - interestingly enough in my area RL is taboo as RU rules ok and a few years ago a couple of teams came to Limoges to play an exhibition American Football game and the game caught on and now Limoges has a thriving US Footie team, not particularly successful but the sport has caught the imagination and attracts some fans as well as loads of kids wanting to play

I don't think the national team needs to turn out to attract punters just a couple of decent teams with good marketing from the FFR13

#18 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,791 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:52 AM

They were obviously determined to play this match at Lens, but future internationals in France could still be taken 'on the road' to areas bordering RL heartlands. The established fans would have a shorter journey, while still exposing the game to new territories.

It just doesn't have to be as far away as Lens each time.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#19 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 674 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:22 PM

History says they most likely would not be interested. A better decision would have been to have the game played in Marseille/Toulouse/Nice or even Bordeaux a game way up there will in all liklihood have less impact than those cities mentioned.

#20 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:33 PM

The reason why the Federation took the game to Lens was partly to test the water for this proposed Super XIII venture being touted by Larrat & the RC Lens President Dayan. The latter is trying to get up to five soccer clubs, several from the north, involved for a projected start in 2014.
si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933