TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Is Summer Rugby a good thing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:01 AM

Say why on this thread
I don't believe in reincarnation but I did in a previous life

#2 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,267 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

nice n warm

#3 Guest_hairywombat_*

Guest_hairywombat_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:05 PM

No good to me, too many other interests.

#4 leighminers

leighminers
  • Coach
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:17 PM

wrong topic use the other one if your posting bad things! haha

#5 leighminers

leighminers
  • Coach
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:38 PM

i think its been a good thing for us down at leigh miners, would like to see each division cut down to 12 teams so it gives clubs an extra few weeks throughout the season to have free weekends for weddings, stag doos etc and hopefully it will give teams the chance to play with their strongest available sides week in week out so there are no excuses of clubs missing aload of players

#6 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:44 PM

Id rather stand n watch the game in hot weather with a cold pint than in cold weather with a colder pint
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#7 old papa

old papa
  • Coach
  • 307 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:47 PM

i think its been a good thing for us down at leigh miners, would like to see each division cut down to 12 teams so it gives clubs an extra few weeks throughout the season to have free weekends for weddings, stag doos etc and hopefully it will give teams the chance to play with their strongest available sides week in week out so there are no excuses of clubs missing aload of players

No brainer 100% better in the summer, light nights all the players stood outside the clubhouse having a great time together great for team bonding. still a few things need to be sorted out but I agree 12 clubs in the premier division if the play offs are going to continue. 14 clubs in the 1st 2nd & 3rd division should not be a problem but we do need to look at clubs been able to have a few free weekends for stag do's weddings etc. most people know when these events will be taking place well in advance so alternative fixtures and dates could be arranged without much disruption. Maybe just a rule which allows 2 games per season to be rearranged per club but 2 months notice must be given to allow these games to be rescheduled.

Edited by old papa, 21 October 2012 - 06:28 PM.

#8 Sandspine

Sandspine
  • Coach
  • 142 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:14 PM

Can I ask why 14 clubs in the 1st 2nd and 3rd division shouldnt be a problem? Do these players not get married or go on holiday? Yes the premier have a play off but that is end of season.

#9 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:23 PM

No brainer 100% better in the summer, light nights all the players stood outside the clubhouse having a great time together great for team bonding. still a few things need to be sorted out but I agree 12 clubs in the premier division if the play offs are going to continue. 14 clubs in the 1st 2nd & 3rd division should not be a problem but we do need to look at clubs been able to have a few free weekends for stag do's weddings etc. most people know when these events will be taking place well in advance so alternative fixtures and dates could be arranged without much disruption. Maybe just a rule which allows 2 games per season to be rearranged per club but 2 months notice must be given to allow these games to be rescheduled.

Can't happen, It's already being used in the Pennine (1 month notice)
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#10 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 755 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:27 PM

It gives Marauder something to talk about.

#11 Roughyedz

Roughyedz
  • Coach
  • 636 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:52 PM

Give up all together then .........as there is plenty to do 365 days a year .......if you are looking for a FREE DAY ...........its NEVER going to happen is it ................Face the truth Rugby Leage HAS TO COMPETE ..........with all sorts ........shopping with the wife to name but one .........or shoppin with the husband ........ to name another ........who as a speccie ( as Alex once said ) wants to stand in the Rain and Snow and Cold watchin or playin any sport ............I rest my case

Edited by Roughyedz, 21 October 2012 - 11:53 PM.

Posted Image

#12 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,858 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:48 AM

How often does it snow ?
How often does it rain ?

And lets bring things into perspective our recent winters have been Mild and recent summers wet , look at this week end 18 degrees and that at the end of October .

We just need to find a balance ?

#13 Cantona

Cantona
  • Players
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:44 AM

It may not snow much Mick , but it sure as hell freezes a lot !! , no fun at all to play in -4 degrees , and definitly no fun for the speccies on the touchline ........... brrrrrrrr !

Would be harsh to judge Summer rugby on the back of this one hiss down season we've had , It hasn't panned out the way it was meant to , with fans sitting round in the sun with a pint staying later and putting money behind the bar , as it turned out the die hard few who turned up were so soaked they went home .

Congrats to the Miners though Mick , they should be used as a benchmark for how to embrace Summer rugby , they had barbies and all sorts of other entertainment to attract families , and if it rained it all moved inside to keep the people there ........... not the BQ inside obviously , but that would have been fun .

So well done Miners !!

#14 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:22 AM

It may not snow much Mick , but it sure as hell freezes a lot !! , no fun at all to play in -4 degrees , and definitly no fun for the speccies on the touchline ........... brrrrrrrr !

Would be harsh to judge Summer rugby on the back of this one hiss down season we've had , It hasn't panned out the way it was meant to , with fans sitting round in the sun with a pint staying later and putting money behind the bar , as it turned out the die hard few who turned up were so soaked they went home .

Congrats to the Miners though Mick , they should be used as a benchmark for how to embrace Summer rugby , they had barbies and all sorts of other entertainment to attract families , and if it rained it all moved inside to keep the people there ........... not the BQ inside obviously , but that would have been fun .

So well done Miners !!

You will normally get between 2 and 3 weekends a year where the ground is frozen to hard to play, infact I'd say that during 2012 we've lost more weekends during both seasons because of rain.

#15 Loose Carry

Loose Carry
  • Coach
  • 195 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:39 AM

You will normally get between 2 and 3 weekends a year where the ground is frozen to hard to play, infact I'd say that during 2012 we've lost more weekends during both seasons because of rain.

Needs to be a bit perspective on that really, weve just had the wettest summer in 100 years unlikey its gonna be the same next year.

I think the move to summer has been excellent, playing and training in good conditions has made it far better, I agree it would be a good idea to cut the teams in the premier to 12 and incorporating a mid season break starting the end of july would be good.

I know some people have spoken about crowd sizes and player participation not being as good as it was, but they have been declining gradually over the last few years anyway in my opinion, the crowds games in hull used to get were definatly bigger 5 - 8 years ago.

#16 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:42 AM

Needs to be a bit perspective on that really, weve just had the wettest summer in 100 years unlikey its gonna be the same next year.

We've also had winters in recent times that have been warmer and dryer than the following autumns, IMO the pro summer guys are banging the drum of better weather produces a greater number of participants, this on paper maybe true, the problem seems to be getting the participants onto the field on a matchday.

IMO The RFL have been misleading while steering amateur heartland administrators away from the major problems with summer rugby or did they just think it would be easier if they secured the flagship of the amateur game than try and expand outside of the heartlands.

Edited by Marauder, 22 October 2012 - 11:45 AM.

#17 sbull

sbull
  • Coach
  • 529 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:53 PM

I think the move to summer has been excellent, playing and training in good conditions has made it far better, I agree it would be a good idea to cut the teams in the premier to 12 and incorporating a mid season break starting the end of july would be good.

I know some people have spoken about crowd sizes and player participation not being as good as it was, but they have been declining gradually over the last few years anyway in my opinion, the crowds games in hull used to get were definatly bigger 5 - 8 years ago.

the only way it will work if you have a mid season break from the 1st June to the 31st August,
the argument for summer has gone from A BETTER PLAYING STANDARD to SPECTATORS WATCHING IN THE SUNSHINE,

i like the idea of summer rugby myself of cours we would sooner play/ watch in the sunshine thats just basic common sense,

so is holidays weddings ect and the fact that families come first which unfortunately is based around summer (common sense)

Edited by sbull, 22 October 2012 - 12:54 PM.

#18 Guest_hairywombat_*

Guest_hairywombat_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:05 PM

Give up all together then

What's that all about Roughyedz, I have seen two matches this season as like I said summer rugby is no good to me for my own personal reasons, as other SPORTS that I play take preference. I thought that was what the question was all about. Regarding watching in good weather, I hope it's better next time round then, cos the two matches I watched it ###### down from start to finish.

Edited by hairywombat, 22 October 2012 - 02:05 PM.

#19 Back In The Good Old Days

Back In The Good Old Days
  • Coach
  • 164 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:16 AM

In my opinion there needs to be a break around july to august to allow for people (especially the younger element) to have their jollies, and there is also a need for a degree of flexibility to allow for weddings ,stag dos etc, etc, etc as mentioned by sbull above. Failure to do this in the first summer season has proven to be a bit of a headache for the clubs and coaches involved with teams having a large number of players unavailable (as was the case with normanton when they got beaten heavily due to the majority of players being at a wedding).
No one can convince me that these types of results are either good for the game or good for the clubs & players involved.

We are also seeing the return of mid week fixtures which can see the amatuer player playing 3 times in seven day (saturday, midweek and the following saturday). Again in my opinion this is counter productive for the players & the clubs. T
he professionals in our game dont even do this so why should the amatuer player whom does not have the vast resources available to him that the pros do to allow recovery after such games.

I just hope that the clubs NCL representatives have flagged up these matters at the meetings they attend and that the NCL actually listen and act upon these concerns.

At the end of the day we are talking about amatuer players here whom all have to work for a living and have other roles & responsibilities outside amatuer rugby league.

I honestly think that if the NCL & the RFL can address the above matters then summer rugby can be a rip roaring succes (oh also forgot can someone order some good weather for next season too!!)

Edited by Back In The Good Old Days, 25 October 2012 - 07:17 AM.

#20 usain bolt

usain bolt
  • Coach
  • 948 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:06 AM

In my opinion there needs to be a break around july to august to allow for people (especially the younger element) to have their jollies, and there is also a need for a degree of flexibility to allow for weddings ,stag dos etc, etc, etc as mentioned by sbull above. Failure to do this in the first summer season has proven to be a bit of a headache for the clubs and coaches involved with teams having a large number of players unavailable (as was the case with normanton when they got beaten heavily due to the majority of players being at a wedding).
No one can convince me that these types of results are either good for the game or good for the clubs & players involved.

We are also seeing the return of mid week fixtures which can see the amatuer player playing 3 times in seven day (saturday, midweek and the following saturday). Again in my opinion this is counter productive for the players & the clubs. T
he professionals in our game dont even do this so why should the amatuer player whom does not have the vast resources available to him that the pros do to allow recovery after such games.

I just hope that the clubs NCL representatives have flagged up these matters at the meetings they attend and that the NCL actually listen and act upon these concerns.

At the end of the day we are talking about amatuer players here whom all have to work for a living and have other roles & responsibilities outside amatuer rugby league.

I honestly think that if the NCL & the RFL can address the above matters then summer rugby can be a rip roaring succes (oh also forgot can someone order some good weather for next season too!!)

with a btreak of 4-6 weeks july, august plus no midweek games and also free weekends for rearrangements due to weddings,stag do's, holidays etc then how many teams do you reckon each league should contain?