Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

I like the look of Bemba and several fringe French players

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 923 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:20 AM

I think France now have enough talent for 2 even 3 teams at SL level.

There are players at Catalan who don't get enough game time, who could switch to Toulouse, like Marginet, Barthau, then you have former Catalan players who have done well at this level, The Bentley brothers, Stacul, Gigot is still very young with raw talent, you've got the young lad at Salford, plus some players like Bemba playing for local French teams who'd surprise a few people, there are more players out there now and when/if Toulouse do step up I hope they'll give genuine chances to French players and not fill all of their spots with aussies.

Edited by The Daddy_merged, 21 October 2012 - 10:39 AM.

#2 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:34 AM

quite correct - the french players are coming through and the Catalans overspill would be ideal for a second french SL team - the Academies are doing well and kids are being produced, it takes time of course but the future does look good

hopefully the LER clubs will finally agree to the FFR13s demands to cut the number of overseas players per team to give more french players the chance

#3 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,058 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:38 AM

They couldn't stop those with British grannies from playing, of course!
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#4 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:41 AM

wouldn't they then play in the 'Granny League' ?

#5 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,058 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

wouldn't they then play in the 'Granny League' ?

They'll follow the money, like all antipodeans.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#6 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:53 AM

Bemba 's try was a carbon copy of his try in the Championship Final against Pia. He's a decent player but only a last minute replacement yesterday for Simon dropping out. I think the latter & Fakir will be called up for England duty to beef up the pack even more. France only played for less than 10 minutes to secure the win. Other than the soft opening try conceded when Elima lost the ball on their first set I thought they defended well. But some disappointing performances from players who usually turn up. Duport has been great for most of the season at Catalans but was poor yesterday giving possession away at least three times - ditto for Raguin. Pleased with the half back pairing - Bosc's kicking had weight & precision & he had a hand in all three tries. Barthau to me lost his way a while back but has grown in stature the last year or so. He created their best score yesterday with that blindside break. Liked the way he feinted twice to pass the ball inside attracting tacklers before passing to Baitieri. The other scrum half emerging in Perpignan is Stan Robin who's come down from Villeneuve-sur-Lot. Casty was Casty say no more shouldered well by Mounis. Story doing the rounds down here that NRL clubs are showing interest in the Dragons skipper.

Larroyer hasn't got the experience for me to play centre - goldened opportunity bombed with that forward pass to Soubeyras. Schoolboy stuff that simple 2 v 1. Really liked Soubayras's contribution on the wing. Seemed composed in defence & thought his pick up of that long kick ahead super & only denied by great Welsh cover. He's at Pia at the moment & leading try scorer in the local comp. More performances like Saturday & the Dragons could well come calling. I'd move Pala back into his favoured centre position for next game with may be bringing Cardace in on the wing if he performs well next week against Pia. Pelissier too excitable at times wasting possession with that dabbed kick to the line.With all that possession they should have doubled their try tally. If they give up so much easy possession against England they'll take 50 points or more.

Finally bravo to the Federation's President Larrat for taking the match to Lens & making it such a success. I thought it looked good on TV (Bein Sport). Crowd animated & involved. Good presentation. Another five figure crowd following closely on after Toulouse, Avignon & Albi. Great stuff.

Edited by audois, 21 October 2012 - 11:57 AM.

si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#7 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:02 PM

Bemba 's try was a carbon copy of his try in the Championship Final against Pia. He's a decent player but only a last minute replacement yesterday for Simon dropping out. I think the latter & Fakir will be called up for England duty to beef up the pack even more. France only played for less than 10 minutes to secure the win. Other than the soft opening try conceded when Elima lost the ball on their first set I thought they defended well. But some disappointing performances from players who usually turn up. Duport has been great for most of the season at Catalans but was poor yesterday giving possession away at least three times - ditto for Raguin. Pleased with the half back pairing - Bosc's kicking had weight & precision & he had a hand in all three tries. Barthau to me lost his way a while back but has grown in stature the last year or so. He created their best score yesterday with that blindside break. Liked the way he feinted twice to pass the ball inside attracting tacklers before passing to Baitieri. The other scrum half emerging in Perpignan is Stan Robin who's come down from Villeneuve-sur-Lot. Casty was Casty say no more shouldered well by Mounis. Story doing the rounds down here that NRL clubs are showing interest in the Dragons skipper.

Larroyer hasn't got the experience for me to play centre - goldened opportunity bombed with that forward pass to Soubeyras. Schoolboy stuff that simple 2 v 1. Really liked Soubayras's contribution on the wing. Seemed composed in defence & thought his pick up of that long kick ahead super & only denied by great Welsh cover. He's at Pia at the moment & leading try scorer in the local comp. More performances like Saturday & the Dragons could well come calling. I'd move Pala back into his favoured centre position for next game with may be bringing Cardace in on the wing if he performs well next week against Pia. Pelissier too excitable at times wasting possession with that dabbed kick to the line.With all that possession they should have doubled their try tally. If they give up so much easy possession against England they'll take 50 points or more.

Finally bravo to the Federation's President Larrat for taking the match to Lens & making it such a success. I thought it looked good on TV (Bein Sport). Crowd animated & involved. Good presentation. Another five figure crowd following closely on after Toulouse, Avignon & Albi. Great stuff.

Bemba seems to carried on from last seasons triumphs at ASC and Soubeyras looked confident - agree that Larroyer didn't fit in though I think his time will come - Trent had planned to blood him in at least one SL game last season which he did and allow him more game time in 2013 to develop and learn from Sir Steve et al. Here's hoping LF carries on the good work with him - Antoni Maria has beefed up immensly in the past couple of years and looks a credible SL candidate for me
Eloi drifted back into his early to mid 2012 form and wasted good opportunities by over elaborating at times - the last half dozen games at The Catalans were a vast improvement even overshadowing a disappointing Hendo in my opinion

Larrat should be strung up for taking this game from the heartlands - not a very fitting end to a good period of presidency -i his failure to have the game screened on terrestrial tv was a disaster (or was it shown regionally ?), depriving the die-hards the chance to see their team - but as Carlos said ' there is much work to be done and the presidency is a poisoned chalice'

#8 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:25 AM

Do French players count on over-seas quota for English SL clubs? Wouldnt mind seeing SL clubs helping to develop the french game, with maybe 1-2 players per team.

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#9 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,849 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:18 PM

I wasn't particularly taken with the French kit design. France = blue shirt, with red'n'white chevron - it ain't rocket science!

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#10 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,624 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:33 PM

I wasn't particularly taken with the French kit design. France = blue shirt, with red'n'white chevron - it ain't rocket science!

I too spotted a flaw in the regular chants of 'Allez les bleus'.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#11 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:22 PM

French players (not inc Aussies with European passports) should have 50% or 100% of their salary discounted from the Salary Cap. Obviously not including Les Catalans. I also believe London should get more central funding and a weighting on the Salary Cap.

#12 BJW

BJW
  • Coach
  • 404 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:44 PM

Do French players count on over-seas quota for English SL clubs? Wouldnt mind seeing SL clubs helping to develop the french game, with maybe 1-2 players per team.

Have tried over the past few years to interest UK SL clubs in taking on French juniors - either under 18 or 20 (one of the players for France on Saturday was part of the scheme) & have been met with overwhelming indifference. One or two clubs have been very helpful but most do not even reply to emails, let alone take it any further. This attitude means that the French clubs I was acting as middleman for, opening the door for them at SL clubs, are now sending players to Australia ! Some people put a lot of effort in - especially at the French end - for no reward. FYI, all the SL clubs would have had to supply was accomodation & coaching as the French were prepared to pay travel and living costs for the players.
Disillusioned the scheme is currently suspended but I doubt it will surface again thanks to the SL clubs attitude , especially when you are told a certain player will never be good enough for even CC1 level yet he signs for Catalans & plays for France :blink:
My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

#13 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:51 AM

John Kear was always a fan of French players, he gave a couple of lads a shot when he was at Huddersfield and I for one would like to see more in Super League

#14 oiseau

oiseau
  • Coach
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:27 AM

great credit to Steve Deakin & co at UTC for developing the kids and not forgetting the Toulouse Academy and other LER clubs who are also doing their bit with the youth development - with only one current french SL team many kids are not being given the chance to try at a higher level - the potential is there so any English SL clubs could do a lot worse and chance their arms on some of the raw young talent coming through

hopefully Toulouse or a second french SL team will reap the benefits in a few years

#15 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:20 AM

French players (not inc Aussies with European passports) should have 50% or 100% of their salary discounted from the Salary Cap. Obviously not including Les Catalans. I also believe London should get more central funding and a weighting on the Salary Cap.

London have asked for weighting to be added to their salary cap on several occasions. Each time the other clubs vetoed it.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users