RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

City of Salford Stadium

Public transport

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,132 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:32 PM

I have been thinking of going to the Autumn International Final.
I have been trying to work out how feasible it is by public transport.
Looking at the journey planner for Manchester it seems the 67 bus goes fairly near the stadium but I can't work out if it runs anywhere near Piccadilly Station. In the week I think it goes from stand P at Piccailly gardens but on Sunday seems to go from Shudehill Interchange.
Anyone know?

Edited by John Drake, 23 October 2012 - 09:31 AM.

Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#2 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,173 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:34 PM

I think there is a free city centre shuttle bus from London Road Picaddilly station to the city centre

Edited by JohnM, 21 October 2012 - 07:01 PM.

#3 D9000

D9000
  • Coach
  • 150 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:29 PM

OK, bearman, this is my field of expertise (as in, I used to do it for a living). Service 67 passes within easy walking distance of the City of Salford Stadium, and leaves from Shudehill Interchange on Sundays. 67 leaves at 25 and 55 past each hour, takes 35 minutes. Returns at approx 15 & 45 past each hour. (Service 100 also passes, but takes far too long to get there). To get from Piccadilly Station to Shudehill, take a Bury tram from the Metrolink platform, every 12 minutes from 1000 on, journey time 7 minutes. As always when travelling by rail on Sundays, check for engineering works beforehand. If you prefer to walk from Picc to Shudehill, allow about 20 minutes. The free shuttle bus from Piccadilly Station will not connect with service 67 on Sundays, but people planning to come from other places by rail, note the 67 does stop right outside Victoria Station on its way out of town.

http://www.tfgm.com/.../67_12-0614.pdf

#4 D9000

D9000
  • Coach
  • 150 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:33 PM

Forgot to mention, a return on the 67 is £4.50 at the moment. Tram will be £1.40.

#5 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:47 PM

Watch out to see if there are any shuttle buses running to the stadium. These run from Trafford Centre or Eccles.If not then get a tram toEccles and pick up the bus from there.

#6 D9000

D9000
  • Coach
  • 150 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:02 PM

Watch out to see if there are any shuttle buses running to the stadium. These run from Trafford Centre or Eccles.If not then get a tram toEccles and pick up the bus from there.

Do they run shuttles, then? I did not know this. Are they publicised on the City Reds site?

If no shuttles, I'd get the bus from Manchester all the way rather than the tram to Eccles and change. Much quicker: that tram wanders about all over Salford Quays first; it takes as long to get to Eccles as the bus does to get to the stadium.

#7 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,132 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:58 AM

Thanks everyone that's brilliant.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#8 alan30058

alan30058
  • Coach
  • 177 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:13 PM

OK, bearman, this is my field of expertise (as in, I used to do it for a living). Service 67 passes within easy walking distance of the City of Salford Stadium, and leaves from Shudehill Interchange on Sundays. 67 leaves at 25 and 55 past each hour, takes 35 minutes. Returns at approx 15 & 45 past each hour. (Service 100 also passes, but takes far too long to get there). To get from Piccadilly Station to Shudehill, take a Bury tram from the Metrolink platform, every 12 minutes from 1000 on, journey time 7 minutes. As always when travelling by rail on Sundays, check for engineering works beforehand. If you prefer to walk from Picc to Shudehill, allow about 20 minutes. The free shuttle bus from Piccadilly Station will not connect with service 67 on Sundays, but people planning to come from other places by rail, note the 67 does stop right outside Victoria Station on its way out of town.

http://www.tfgm.com/.../67_12-0614.pdf

It begs the question ..why is it such an awkward non user friendly process just to get to the stadium.Did the planners/club not make more efforts with Gt Manchester transport to deliver an easier route to and from the ground.I know for a fact it puts casual fans off going.
Maybe that is one of the reasons Salford crowds have been dissapointing ?
Not such a problem for the Sale fans rolling up in their Chelsea Tractors ; well not untill they reach the "car park" <_<

Edited by Latchford Locks, 22 October 2012 - 12:15 PM.

#9 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

Not such a problem for the Sale fans rolling up in their Chelsea Tractors ; well not untill they reach the "car park" <_<

Are they not Cheshire Tractors in that part of the world?
People called Romans they go the house

#10 D9000

D9000
  • Coach
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:30 PM

It begs the question ..why is it such an awkward non user friendly process just to get to the stadium.Did the planners/club not make more efforts with Gt Manchester transport to deliver an easier route to and from the ground.I know for a fact it puts casual fans off going.
Maybe that is one of the reasons Salford crowds have been dissapointing ?

What's so awkward about it? One bus from the centre of Manchester, straight there, directly connecting with one major rail station and a short tram ride from the other, passing through Salford's heartland en route. Not seeing the problem here.

If you want direct mass transit you will have to wait until Peel Developments' Port Salford plans come to fruition, when the Reds stadium is due to get its own Metrolink stop. About ten years off, I'd say. Until then the stadium isn't a big enough traffic objective to warrant a more frequent bus service. At the moment there's rag all else there.

#11 alan30058

alan30058
  • Coach
  • 177 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:42 PM

What's so awkward about it? One bus from the centre of Manchester, straight there, directly connecting with one major rail station and a short tram ride from the other, passing through Salford's heartland en route. Not seeing the problem here.

If you want direct mass transit you will have to wait until Peel Developments' Port Salford plans come to fruition, when the Reds stadium is due to get its own Metrolink stop. About ten years off, I'd say. Until then the stadium isn't a big enough traffic objective to warrant a more frequent bus service. At the moment there's rag all else there.

Fair comment.
But it does not alter the fact that Wire v Huddersfield Semi Final was shunned by the Wire fans and the main reason is the poor transport links.
We played Catalan at Widnes in 2010 and sold 12,200 tickets
We played Hudd's at Salford in 2012 and sold 4,800 tickets
enough said ;)

Edited by Latchford Locks, 22 October 2012 - 03:46 PM.

#12 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,173 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:46 PM

Fair comment.
But it does not alter the fact that Wire v Huddersfield Semi Final was shunned by the Wire fans and the main reason is the poor transport links.
enough said ;)

and the causal link has been proved how?

#13 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,546 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:48 PM

Fair comment.
enough said ;)

That's why Wire fans are all lard-arses is it?
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#14 High Peak Rhino

High Peak Rhino
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:50 PM

Fair comment.
enough said ;)

and the causal link has been proved how?

That Warrington is a suburb of Widnes :ph34r:

#15 D9000

D9000
  • Coach
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:52 PM

Fair comment.
We played Catan at Widnes in 2010 and sold 12,000 tickets
We played Hudd's at Salford in 2012 and sold 4,000 tickets
enough said ;)

Did I mention that the 100 bus, after stopping hard by the Reds Stadium, carries on to, er, Warrington? What did they want, a personal taxi each? It's not as if Salford RLFC had an unlimited choice of sites for their new stadium; in an ideal world they might have liked one right next to a rail station (you know, like Swinton used to have), but the site they were offered is where it is. Possibly you could blame the RFL for choosing the ground for a major match, but as far as access by private transport goes the Reds stadium beats pretty much anywhere else (car park problems aside!), and the percentage of fans coming by other means isn't that great: you're not trying to tell me 8,000 Wire went to the Galpharm by train, are you?

Edit: thinking about it I reckon the number of pubs in Hudds v the number in the scrag end of Peel Green might have had something to do with it ...

Edited by D9000, 22 October 2012 - 03:54 PM.

#16 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:53 PM

Fair comments but as most of the speccies turn up by car, will it be an anti-Salford thing? If the final was played at Headingly or the JJB, or even Doncaster (no disrespect), the crowd might be anticipated to be better.

Even before the recent problems I have with "Personal Transport" I always used Public Transport to access Rugby League games, regardless of how long it took me, even to 'Haven, or Cardiff, or Southend.

Edited by Bleep1673, 22 October 2012 - 03:57 PM.

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#17 D9000

D9000
  • Coach
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:03 PM

I might go and do some research on this, and see which is the hardest RL ground to get to by public transport. (Depends where you're starting from, of course).

#18 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,173 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:05 PM

Are you gmpte?

#19 D9000

D9000
  • Coach
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:13 PM

Are you gmpte?

No, I always walk like this. <serious> Once upon a time, dude, yes I was. I got better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users