Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Chris Bryant MP

Expenses Lark Again

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#41 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,606 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:09 PM

A teacher, and, by association, a youth worker, probation officer or youth-missionary priest assumes a role of in loco parentis. In such role they have a moral responsibility (and for a teacher a legal responsibility) to act as a parental guide and moral compass for the children in their care.

Professionally, that's a bit different to being the office lothario in the accounts department.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#42 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,695 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

A teacher, and, by association, a youth worker, probation officer or youth-missionary priest assumes a role of in loco parentis. In such role they have a moral responsibility (and for a teacher a legal responsibility) to act as a parental guide and moral compass for the children in their care.

Professionally, that's a bit different to being the office lothario in the accounts department.

Quite. But I still don't see how using dating sites makes someone unsuitable to be a teacher. I have friends who are teachers who have used dating sites. Should they be struck off?
Fides invicta triumphat

#43 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,606 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

Quite. But I still don't see how using dating sites makes someone unsuitable to be a teacher. I have friends who are teachers who have used dating sites. Should they be struck off?

Have you read the text that he reportedly placed with his picture?

#44 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,695 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

Have you read the text that he reportedly placed with his picture?

Yes. I think you must be quite naive if you don't think this is common for single people these days.
Fides invicta triumphat

#45 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,084 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:41 PM

There are thousands of celibate priests .... Catholic, Protestant, Hindu, Buddhist etc. Just because a very minor proportion have dodgy characters doesn't mean:
- that all priests should automatically be assumed to be dodgy characters.
- there is no reason why those who give an an indication of being a dodgy characters should not be selected for sensitive posts.

Yet a gay man with a want to lead an entirely healthy sex life is somehow a danger to the young.

LUNEW.jpg

#46 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,606 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

Yet a gay man with a want to lead an entirely healthy sex life is somehow a danger to the young.

I'm no prude but I wouldn't consider casual gay sex with some bloke off the internet to be 'an entirely healthy sex life'

#47 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,606 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:27 PM

Yes. I think you must be quite naive if you don't think this is common for single people these days.

Perhaps you are right for young people, but the use of unsolicited foul language is certainly not the general habit or taste for heterosexual men and women of my age, or Chris Bryant's age.

If that text was posted by a man on a heterosexual dating site, I can't see many women rushing to take up his offer. In fact, they'd probably be complaining in droves to the webmaster.

#48 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,695 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:34 PM

Perhaps you are right for young people, but the use of unsolicited foul language is certainly not the general habit or taste for heterosexual men and women of my age, or Chris Bryant's age.

So no-one your age swears then?

If that text was posted by a man on a heterosexual dating site, I can't see many women rushing to take up his offer. In fact, they'd probably be complaining in droves to the webmaster.

Not my cup of tea but then again I'm heterosexual, he's not trying to attract you, I or women.

Edited by Severus, 06 November 2012 - 04:34 PM.

Fides invicta triumphat

#49 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,606 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:43 PM

So no-one your age swears then?

It's not my default position in everyday conversation. I may be common, but not that common.

#50 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,606 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

Not my cup of tea but then again I'm heterosexual, he's not trying to attract you, I or women.

Suppose he lost his job ... which at a private company he could have for expenses irregularities. Would you be happy for him to come and work with students (including insecure eighteen year old lads) at your place? Would you challenge your Head of Department if he decided against making such an appointment on the basis of the reported Gaydar posting?

#51 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,695 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

It's not my default position in everyday conversation. I may be common, but not that common.

Use of profanity has nothing to do with being common or not.
Fides invicta triumphat

#52 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,606 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

Use of profanity has nothing to do with being common or not.

If you do not know the person you are talking to, swearing shows a lack of respect for him/her/them.

#53 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,695 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

Suppose he lost his job ... which at a private company he could have for expenses irregularities. Would you be happy for him to come and work with students (including insecure eighteen year old lads) at your place? Would you challenge your Head of Department if he decided against making such an appointment on the basis of the reported Gaydar posting?

I would be happy for him to work with students. Why not? Why wouldn't Bryant be able to work with young lads? Do you think my single colleagues (or non-single for that matter) prey on students of the gender they are attracted to?
Fides invicta triumphat

#54 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,695 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

If you do not know the person you are talking to, swearing shows a lack of respect for him/her/them.

I assume (although I have never been on one, honest) that use of the f word to mean copulation is quite a regular occurrence. :rolleyes:
Fides invicta triumphat

#55 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,606 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:01 PM

I would be happy for him to work with students. Why not? Why wouldn't Bryant be able to work with young lads?

Because, as an educationalist he should be a role model for students ... accepting that everyone has flaws. However, I can't see how he is a gleaming role model in his personal or professional life.

#56 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,606 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

I assume (although I have never been on one, honest) that use of the f word to mean copulation is quite a regular occurrence. :rolleyes:

Not in my house, comparatively rarely amongst my friends and never in mixed company. The use of the word thus becomes more effective when deployed.

Like many of my generation, I'm working class with a Grammar School education

Edited by Wolford6, 06 November 2012 - 05:07 PM.

#57 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,695 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

Because, as an educationalist he should be a role model for students ... accepting that everyone has flaws. However, I can't see how he is a gleaming role model in his personal or professional life.

Are you saying that Bryant isn't a good role model because he is a single gay man who used a dating site? Or because of his expenses scandal?
Fides invicta triumphat

#58 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,606 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

Are you saying that Bryant isn't a good role model because he is a single gay man who used a dating site? Or because of his expenses scandal?

As far as I am concernened: -
- Bryant isn't a good role model for students because he is a single gay man who used foul language looking for rampant casual sex on a dating site and because he has serial expenses scandals.
- He's a disgrace to the Valleys

#59 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,695 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

As far as I am concernened: -
- Bryant isn't a good role model for students because he is a single gay man who used foul language looking for rampant casual sex on a dating site

Fair enough, you don't like bad language. Not sure what you have against a natural sexual appetite.
Fides invicta triumphat

#60 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,606 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

Fair enough, you don't like bad language. Not sure what you have against a natural sexual appetite.

Well Sev, I'd never have placed you for regarding casual gay anal penetration as a natural sexual appetite.

There again, you do come from the other side of the Severn. I've heard they get up to all sorts over there.
;) :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users