who are we expected to believe?
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#2 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,617 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:08 PM

well, under normal circumstances, I'd say the police. I'd also say that it is possible for the police note to be different from Mitchell's recollection. In addition, there is no evidence that this was in any way a set up by the Police Federation as they pursue their opposition to govt policy.

However , these are not normal circumstances: on the one hand, the police have to rebuild trust in view of Orgreave, Hillsborough, Kisko, Rochdale and Rotherham, Tomlinson, de Menezes ( sp.) and many more.

On the other hand, Mitchell is clearly in the wrong: he tucks his trousers in his socks to ride his bike and he has a silly foppish haircut.

#3 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,385 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:09 PM

Is it possible to think that both sides are lying canuts?
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#4 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,066 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:12 PM

And in addition to all that; the police version of events found it's way into the Murdoch press far, far too quickly for my liking. Especially so soon after Levinson. <_<
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#5 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:50 PM

Good question.Police dont have a good track record,and posh boy tory's are not flavour of the month either.I honestly dont know who to believe
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#6 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,569 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:00 PM

People are more than usually eager these days to believe the worst of an MP, let alone a party Whip. On the other hand, as it's been said on here, the Police haven't been particularly spotless when it comes to factual accuracy either.

If only there was a way that both sides could lose this... :D

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#7 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,617 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:03 PM

And in addition to all that; the police version of events found it's way into the Murdoch press far, far too quickly for my liking. Especially so soon after Levinson. <_<

can you be more explicit: dates, links? This has been running in the Guardian for a few weeks. see for example: http://www.guardian....battle-orgreave in April

#8 Grinner

Grinner
  • Coach
  • 451 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:03 PM

If only there was a way that both sides could lose this... :D

The way that something so minor has dragged on for something like three weeks, I'd pretty much say that both sides have lost.

#9 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:32 AM

The way that something so minor has dragged on for something like three weeks, I'd pretty much say that both sides have lost.

Aye. Both sides have looked bad in this. Mitchell has appeared arrogant, shifty and untrustworthy and and the police have looked shifty, untrustworthy and determined to get their man by using the Murdoch press. Why have police officers informed journalists of the contents of their notebooks concerning a matter that doesn't appear to be dealt with as a potential criminal case, and is this within their operating rules? Pretty unsavoury across the board.

#10 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,385 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:36 AM

I broadly agree with this by Dominic Lawson http://www.independe...nt-8221804.html
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#11 Jasper

Jasper
  • Coach
  • 341 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:54 PM

On a local news programme (south east) this was being discussed, and a straw poll of people stopped in the street came down firmly on the side of believing the police and not Mitchell. It also made a couple of interesting points that seems to have been overlookeded, one was that, according to people who knew him, the term 'plebs' was a term frequently used by Mitchell when refering to certain types of people, and the second was when asked why the police officer should record this incident in the first place, that Mitchells parting shot was "I'm going to have your job for this", and being a person of some position in the government the incident was written down and signed as correct by other police officers that were there so as to record the event in case Mitchell tried to make something out of it.

#12 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,617 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:04 PM

....a straw poll of people stopped in the street came down firmly on the side of believing the police and not Mitchell.....

hmmm, thought provoking but not sure of the value. if a straw poll of people stopped in the street came down firmly on the side of believing that the cube root of 27 was 4, it wouldn't make it right. I think that people will choose who to believe according to their political views.

#13 Jasper

Jasper
  • Coach
  • 341 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:20 PM

hmmm, thought provoking but not sure of the value. if a straw poll of people stopped in the street came down firmly on the side of believing that the cube root of 27 was 4, it wouldn't make it right. I think that people will choose who to believe according to their political views.

Not saying anything about its value, just reporting what was said/done on a local tv news programme, It was just something that the tv report did, can't quote it word for word, but they said something like 'we sent researchers out onto the streets of London to ask who's version of events do you believe, out of over 500(?) people questioned, the result was firmly on the side of the police officers version of events.' Maybe its just that people don't trust politicians.

#14 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,617 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:10 PM

to be honest, after the stuff that's come out in recent weeks about Mitchell, Orgreave, Savile, Hillsborough and more, I don't trust ANY of them!! :angry:

#15 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,066 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:35 PM

to be honest, after the stuff that's come out in recent weeks about Mitchell, Orgreave, Savile, Hillsborough and more, I don't trust ANY of them!! :angry:

At last, something that we can 100% agree on! :)
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users