Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

First Hillsborough, now Orgreave

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:54 PM

It just keeps on coming - Nottinghamshire MP John Mann is to call for an inquiry into alleged manipulation of evidence by South Yorkshire Police during the miners' strike.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#2 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,855 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:00 PM

Is there any doubt at all that Orgreave is one of the biggest stains on this country's recent history?
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#3 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:16 PM

Is there any doubt at all that Orgreave is one of the biggest stains on this country's recent history?

Am I right in thinking that BBC News colluded in the dissemination of lies regarding the events that day?
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#4 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,629 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:33 PM

Gosh, is such a long time ago, though I do recall lots of graphic footage , lots of Scargill interviews.

#5 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,790 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:36 PM

The biggest shock is that people didn't think that the police behave like this daily, never mind after notable incidents. But people turn a blind eye to it because its usually to ensure the people get what they want and that "#### get locked up", so you'll have to forgive me if I find all of this faux shock and outrage difficult to stomach. Your average copper these days is no more law-abiding than anyone else, and this mythical notion about our 'wonderful bobbies' is rubbish. Hillsborough, Orgreave, wherever, you will find this happened, and continues to happen, at any event which the police are involved in - its nothing new and nothing will change no matter how many public inquiries you have. You can't change a programmed mentality that easily.
Super Clarty Git Amang It Dip Fer Dippin Owt In

#6 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,675 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:54 PM

Am I right in thinking that BBC News colluded in the dissemination of lies regarding the events that day?

Yes they did, the BBC reported the miners attacked the Police first, when infact it was the other way round.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#7 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,091 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:01 PM

yes
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#8 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,907 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:21 AM

Yes they did, the BBC reported the miners attacked the Police first, when infact it was the other way round.

It is alleged that the BBC edited the film so that the clip showing miners throwing stones (and pork pies apparently) at the police occurred before the police charge, whereas the opposite was the case.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#9 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:57 AM

I used to live next door to a police officer who pocketed some nice overtime during the miners strike. He used to boast that there was a command issued to the police officers to kick the shins of the strikers to provoke them into a violent reaction.
Fides invicta triumphat

#10 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:25 AM

Not all the boys in blue were serving police officers.

LUNEW.jpg

#11 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,833 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:40 PM

The biggest shock is that people didn't think that the police behave like this daily, never mind after notable incidents. But people turn a blind eye to it because its usually to ensure the people get what they want and that "#### get locked up", so you'll have to forgive me if I find all of this faux shock and outrage difficult to stomach. Your average copper these days is no more law-abiding than anyone else, and this mythical notion about our 'wonderful bobbies' is rubbish. Hillsborough, Orgreave, wherever, you will find this happened, and continues to happen, at any event which the police are involved in - its nothing new and nothing will change no matter how many public inquiries you have. You can't change a programmed mentality that easily.

I don't think its a question of turning a blind eye, I think for the vast majority who's daily lives don't bring us into contact with the police carry on in a blissful ignorance/state of naivety. I watched the Donald Trump film on Sunday night and was genuinely surprised at how the police acted towards the freelance journalist. Judging from the reaction on twitter I wasn't alone, although I can't even remember the last time I talked to a member of the police force let alone had dealings with one in a professional capacity.

#12 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,675 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:50 PM

It is alleged that the BBC edited the film so that the clip showing miners throwing stones (and pork pies apparently) at the police occurred before the police charge, whereas the opposite was the case.

Thats true, I was there.

#13 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,675 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:56 PM

Not all the boys in blue were serving police officers.

As an ex Squaddie I've asked this question many times simply because of the rumour going around was that squaddies where filling in for policemen on the picket line, not one ex or serving squaddie has ever said they had been drafted in to do a policemans job.

#14 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,675 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:06 PM

I used to live next door to a police officer who pocketed some nice overtime during the miners strike. He used to boast that there was a command issued to the police officers to kick the shins of the strikers to provoke them into a violent reaction.

We played against Milnrow in the National Cup and about 10 of their players where policemen, we where a team with about the same number of striking miners, we had 3 tries disallowed and they won the game by a couple of points, we won the fight with ease and they bought the beer all afternoon not letting us buy a single drink.

#15 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:31 PM

As an ex Squaddie I've asked this question many times simply because of the rumour going around was that squaddies where filling in for policemen on the picket line, not one ex or serving squaddie has ever said they had been drafted in to do a policemans job.

I know it to be true.

LUNEW.jpg

#16 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,569 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:35 PM

As I understand it, the trained "stormtroopers" in the Gwent Police were not generally deployed to police major gatherings of miners in South Wales ... probably because the authorities knew there was wholesale support for the Welsh miners and did not provoke confrontation; they did not want mates fighting against mates or the public joining in.
The riot police were primarily deployed elsewhere in the country, often as standby backup on a waiting brief, and paid generous overtime and lodging allowances ... hence a lot of them surreptitiously contributed generously to the Miners Support Fund.

With regard to our rugby union club in Yorkshire; the strike was a taboo conversation topic ... we were not in a strong mining area but there were too many hardened opinions for each side of the dispute.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#17 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:34 PM

Sir Norman Bettison has resigned as chief constable of West Yorkshire Police.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#18 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,855 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:41 PM

If they were drafted in, in secret, acted, in secret and never had their presence acknowledged it's hardly likely they'd suddenly go, "Oh, you know what, seeing as it's you and we're having this pleasant drink and you're a stand up guy unlikely to blab in the future on something called the internet, yup, we did it ..."
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#19 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,629 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:57 PM

Sir Norman Bettison has resigned as chief constable of West Yorkshire Police.

so that'him off the hook! severance package, full pension, avoided any disciplinary action.

#20 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,675 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:58 PM

I know it to be true.

One of my many roles in the armed forces took me into contact with many of the teeth arms and even today I still have many friends scattered all over the world, some have gone onto become highly ranked in the police force, some are still servingin the forces and many others have gone over to the dark side, not one has ever come across a member of the armed forces who have stated they helped the police during the miners strike.

Gingerjon I'm not sure if you ever served in the forces but if you did you will know where a soldiers loyalties would be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users