Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Cumbrian League

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#1 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:00 PM

I'v heard that they could be setting up a new Cumbrian League incorporating 5 teams from furness and 5 teams from west Cumbria.

Sounds a good idea to me, i dont think there is much between all the local sides now so the level of competition would be good.

I just hope they keep it summer to build on this year as it is only going to get better. No summer break just keep the fixture list with breaks in it for players to book there weekends away etc.

Edited by joe elliot, 22 October 2012 - 01:01 PM.

waddell

#2 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 531 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:02 PM

west cumbrias best 3 teams are all in the conference leagues next season and wath brow just won the top division cant see them dropping out

#3 shawy13

shawy13
  • Coach
  • 222 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:20 PM

Think the 5 teams i seen mentioned were Seaton, Distington, Glasson, Cockermouth and Maryport

#4 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 531 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:09 PM

Think the 5 teams i seen mentioned were Seaton, Distington, Glasson, Cockermouth and Maryport

Ha right remember a few years back hensingham and ellenborough where the top dogs up here shows how times change

#5 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:33 PM

From what i can gather the Conference sides are staying put, we have Askam and Millom from down here. There doesnt seem to be much difference in terms of playing strength in the teams from the furness area with the conference sides regularly getting beat by the Northwest counties teams. Top sides like Wath Brow would obviously be different.
Glasson recently beat Dalton so it should make for a very competitive division with the added bonus of local derbies and not as many away trips that tend to disrupt the form of Barrows sides.
If it stays summer i cant see it being anything other than a major success.
waddell

#6 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

Its a while since Ellbra and Hensingham were top dogs - The last seven CARLA league titles have been won by either Seaton or Kells!

My club Seaton are massively in favour of the league going ahead - Were only looking at 5 trips to Barrow which should work out every 5 weeks or so and it will mean we have a guaranteed and competitive game of rugby every week, personally I hope it remains as a summer comp with the local games being played in that slot and look forward to playing new teams rather than the same old same old!!
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#7 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:12 PM

I'v spoke to a few players from the different clubs this end and they all said the same thing that they cant wait for it to happen.
waddell

#8 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 531 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

Its a while since Ellbra and Hensingham were top dogs - The last seven CARLA league titles have been won by either Seaton or Kells!

My club Seaton are massively in favour of the league going ahead - Were only looking at 5 trips to Barrow which should work out every 5 weeks or so and it will mean we have a guaranteed and competitive game of rugby every week, personally I hope it remains as a summer comp with the local games being played in that slot and look forward to playing new teams rather than the same old same old!!

ha when i said a few years i meant 10-15 years back time does fly by doesn,t it

#9 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:26 AM

Has anyone heard anything further about this proposal? I'v heard that Barrow Island and Walney are definantly wanting this to go ahead, what are the other clubs views?
waddell

#10 gary high

gary high
  • Coach
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:49 PM

I think you may get the same "travelling problems" as have been witnessed in the NWML & NWC leagues. Having played in a Cumbria league before we spent most of the season on the road. I personally think it will be a good thing if the travelling problems are overcome and not turning up is punished accordingly.

#11 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:26 AM

I'v just heard that Ulverston and Roose aren't in favour and Dalton will only do it if its in the winter. My view is that the clubs are really missing a trick here. Its the chance to have practically a local league with 5 bus trips. Standards are roughly the same across the teams, you only have to look at the derby games this year to see what playing against local sides does for teams. No club has competed for any real success locally for 10 years, winning a second or first division etc is fine but success used to mean national cups and cumbria cups or playing professional teams in the challenge cup. For me this Cumbria League would give clubs the chance to regroup and put some respect back into Local teams nationally that is missing now.

Its bordering on insanity to keep doing the same thing and expect different results.
waddell

#12 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:32 AM

Iv just re-read that and i mean no disrespect to Ulverston on winning their league, iv been involved in winning lower leagues and it still means alot to the team i was just getting at the fact that no club locally even ranks in the top 30 teams nationally anymore which is poor when you think of the talent of the players available to each club.
waddell

#13 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 531 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:16 AM

Iv just re-read that and i mean no disrespect to Ulverston on winning their league, iv been involved in winning lower leagues and it still means alot to the team i was just getting at the fact that no club locally even ranks in the top 30 teams nationally anymore which is poor when you think of the talent of the players available to each club.

seems strange that when you see the quality of local players in the barrow squad and the south cumbrians up at w,ton

#14 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:01 PM

Its only when you think about it though that you realise travelling has had such an adverse effect to quality of the local teams.
waddell

#15 the man

the man
  • Coach
  • 638 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

Pioneers have yet to vote on it but I admit that the general feeling is for staying in the NWC, should be on the next committee meeting's agenda. Barrow Island have been accepted in to the Conference, would they prefer to go in a Cumbrian League if it got off the ground?

Posted Image

#16 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

We've pulled out of the conference to go in the Cumbrian League, we will have to stay in NWC if not enough teams agree to join but its not our first choice. Does it not make sense for you's to go in the cumbrian league just on finance reasons?
The way i understand it the league would look like this
Barrow Island
Dalton
Roose Pioneers
Ulverston
Walney
Seaton
Cockermouth
Glasson
Distington
Maryport

I may be wrong on the West Cumbrian Teams but i dont think you can pick a winner of the league or who would even be in the bottom 2.
waddell

#17 insomniac1

insomniac1
  • Players
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

Seems a good idea (i'm from Millom and would rather we stayed in the NCL) but what would happen in a couple off years if some off the teams hit a bad patch (say Distington ,Maryport lost players to Hensingham and Ellenborough) and they were struggling every week either getting hammered or not turnning up, would they be kicked out and replaced ,could kill off some teams.Think they need to be looking at at least two leagues. But is theres not enough teams to make a second league ,not from Barrow area.
Think teams need to have a real good think about it and not rush in,plus I think Barrow Island have made a bad choice not joinning the NCL .

#18 gary high

gary high
  • Coach
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

Its like any league where you have a significant distance to travel. You start getting teams struggling or expecting a hiding and they won't travel. Millom isn't that far but some clubs very rarely travel there in the B&D League if short or playing a weakened team.

FWIW I have played in a Cumbria U18 league and the journey up and down that coast road was bloody horrendous.........Even worse if you were expecting a hiding.

If this was to go ahead then I reckon the addition of the A-teams into a lower Cumbrian Division would be advantagous. Obviously this would need the support of every club.

#19 old millom town

old millom town
  • Coach
  • 432 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 10:59 PM

I'd like to see a Cumbrian A team league and see how it goes I think if it became a success then you could look into a full 1st team league too but it would have to run with strict rules on traveling and punishment for not turning up

#20 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

The RFL are also going to contribute towards the buses so to go along with level competition and far fewer away games the buses are practically free.
Think about all the extra revenue that would create for your club, bigger gates because of local derbys, aswell as each club being roughly £4000 a year better off. It would enable teams like walney to invest in their own bar etc...
I just don't see a downside to it.
waddell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users