Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Cumbrian League

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#21 wilso

wilso
  • Players
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

The RFL are also going to contribute towards the buses so to go along with level competition and far fewer away games the buses are practically free.
Think about all the extra revenue that would create for your club, bigger gates because of local derbys, aswell as each club being roughly £4000 a year better off. It would enable teams like walney to invest in their own bar etc...
I just don't see a downside to it.

I do Elliot, the number and standard of officials!!! Guaranteed at least 1 brawl per game!!

#22 storz7

storz7
  • Players
  • 51 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:47 AM

Can't see it happening .... But the right idea is there alot if teams like ourselves (ulv) just joined summer rugby got to give it more than one season to see if its any better than maybe after that you never no.... One thing I dnt like about Cumbria league is you can't go anywhere either promotion or relegation so lads from clubs might not turn out some weeks because there's nowt to play for really.....

#23 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 499 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:22 PM

Wilso the king of the sandrats, the refs get a bad rap, there not that bad, besides the refs won't change from what they are now really when games are at home
waddell

#24 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 499 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

It's still staying summer so that doesnt really matter, it's the standard of play that would change.
Most teams now don't play for anything anyways as there not challenging for anything, and relegation never really happens as theres always a couple of teams either not willing to get promoted or not fulfilling fixtures.

Edited by joe elliot, 04 November 2012 - 12:26 PM.

waddell

#25 the man

the man
  • Coach
  • 639 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:08 PM

After an informal discussion last night there were more positive voices than negative from Pioneers for the Cumbrian League

Posted Image

#26 Gregga

Gregga
  • Coach
  • 102 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:19 PM

I really like the idea of the Cumbria league as long as it governed correctly and rules strictly enforced. As for the referee's I have had far worse travelling in the north west counties than what's round this area, you got to remember we see the local referees more often than most.
There would still be the National cup, Cumbria cup and Barton Townley to enter if teams wanted to.
Ulverston A.R.L.F.C

#27 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:53 PM

Across the county there are alot of good referees that would officiate in this league that currently go further afield to do so, so dont believe that would be an issue being honest!

I think its time that some more information was released to clubs as RFL funding for example would be a big persuasive factor!
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#28 storz7

storz7
  • Players
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

Does anyone know who's 100% going to the Cumbria league?

#29 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 499 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:53 PM

From what i can gather Barrow Island are in favour of it which i suppose means they are 100%.
The North West Mens League is going to be weakend alot next year so i can't see many home games happening again for the Barrow teams. The top division will be effected the same as the lower ones were this year.
I dont know whats been said at the other clubs.
waddell

#30 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 468 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

I don't know how far the train station is from Barrow Island and Walney clubs, but would it not make more sense to utilise the train service as the Maryport and Glasson grounds are adjacent to the station, likewise Flimby, Cockermouth could use Maryport and Distington could use Harrington, Workington or Whitehaven?
It costs £12 for a return journey to Barrow from Maryport!
It would stop clubs having to travel down the coast road

#31 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 499 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:35 AM

Has their been anymore news on what clubs are up for this and which clubs are not?
waddell

#32 shawy13

shawy13
  • Coach
  • 238 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:44 AM

Hindpool and Ulverston both had meetings last week and are both staying in the NWML

#33 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 468 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:46 AM

meeting tonight to review this season, from what I've heard the bulk of the Division One sides are all for it

#34 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 499 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

Anyone know what Dalton, Walney and Pioneers are doing. I can understand why Hindpool are staying put on a playing front, although you may benefit from playing better teams, I cant understand why Ulverston would stay. You only have to look at the lack of home games both teams played this year. The financials alone make the cumbrian league a more attractive venture.
waddell

#35 shawy13

shawy13
  • Coach
  • 238 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

Playing strength and quality of opposition never even came in to it. Lads just dont want to go up the coast and felt that the NWML deserved another season. Last year was poor but it was never going to be perfect coming straight off the back of a winter season.

#36 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 468 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:42 PM

Traveling up the coast road is a nightmare, I know our clubs are wanting to travel to Barrow via the M6 or might go on the train, I can understand Ulverston wanting to give the NWC another go, but equally can't help thinking there is a missed opportunity to create a strong Cumbrian league.
I personally think if it gets off the ground it will take 2-3 seasons to establish itself, will have to wait and see what comes out of the meeting tonight

#37 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,069 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

Would the league go ahead with only Barrow Island and Walney Central or are more Barrow sides needed?

Edited by bowes, 03 December 2012 - 02:23 PM.

#38 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 468 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

I was talking to one of the CARL management on Saturday and he said the league could still go ahead with two Barrow sides, but they would like Dalton in as well and can't understand why they want to stay in a league where teams won't travel? he also said that funding had been agreed, but didn't know how much.
He did say that nothing could move forward until the CARL clubs confirm what time of year they want to play.
Pretty sure it will be discussed tonight, so I'll ask my mate to ring me when he gets back from the meeting with the main bits and I can post them on here

#39 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 499 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

If there was 5 teams then it works because it keeps teams playing their majority of games locally. With only say 2 teams from furness and 8 from the west coast then the league doesnt look as attractive. I would say the minimum would be 4 teams from barrow area for it to work. It has to offer something different to what the North West Counties is offering, just top make up for the coast road.
If 5 teams decided to take the plunge then everybody wins, as clubs coffers finally look healthy, players get a good game every week with something to genuinely to play for. Not just getting by.
waddell

#40 HP Beans

HP Beans
  • Coach
  • 316 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

Anyone know what Dalton, Walney and Pioneers are doing. I can understand why Hindpool are staying put on a playing front, although you may benefit from playing better teams, I cant understand why Ulverston would stay. You only have to look at the lack of home games both teams played this year. The financials alone make the cumbrian league a more attractive venture.

Pioneers are staying NWML.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users