Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Cumbrian League

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#41 shawy13

shawy13
  • Coach
  • 222 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:32 AM

And Dalton are staying winter

#42 storz7

storz7
  • Players
  • 51 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

Prity easy vote from ulv not many people want Cumbria league it's a good idea in theory imo but can't see it happening and gota give nwml more than one year and looks like we are In a good league .... Plus there is a rumour barrow island are only gna do one season of the Cumbria league then go to national conference .... Dnt no how true this is....

#43 Cents

Cents
  • Coach
  • 332 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:42 AM

And Dalton are staying winter

Walney are going in the Cumbria league

#44 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:21 PM

Great news on Walney! Lets hope it gets off the ground its going to be interesting to see what develops as to the funding thats on offer and who from!!!!
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#45 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

I spoke to the commitee last night and Barrow Island are in it for the long haul, nobodys interested in going into the conference. The travelling is the big turn off especially with the lads. They are definantly going in the Cumbrian League.
Nothing is going to change in the North West mens Leagues as there is no extra penalties for not travelling. The season itself should be a little better as teams will have had an off season, but weaker teams dont travel so i can only see teams getting marginally more home games.
The top division has lost its better clubs so the overall competition is weakened, the whole structure is weakened so i cant see it getting much better.

If there were 4 teams joined the Cumbrian League everyone would of benefited everyone in terms of players and finance.
Name one club that is in a better position now than they were 10 years ago.
Apart from Hindpool

Edited by joe elliot, 05 December 2012 - 03:18 PM.

waddell

#46 storz7

storz7
  • Players
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:31 PM

Well no one nos what either league is gona be like... Decision has been made to stick with nwml hope both leagues go well all we want to do is play rugby. I've heard there's £5000 to spilt between the league for buses....

#47 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

Well no one nos what either league is gona be like... Decision has been made to stick with nwml hope both leagues go well all we want to do is play rugby. I've heard there's £5000 to spilt between the league for buses....

Have you heard where the source of the money is?

#48 shawy13

shawy13
  • Coach
  • 222 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

BARLA apparently. £5000 isn't gonna go to far between 8/10 clubs though

#49 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

i heard off a millom player that they were interested in joining a cumbria league, The players are getting sick of the travelling he says. would be very competitive if all the cumbrian teams are in 1 league IMO.

#50 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,702 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:47 PM

What about two clubs sharing a bus as all the venues in each area are not too distant apart? That would cut the travelling costs down even if it was just to get the league started.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#51 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:25 AM

Regarding the finances, how much do clubs get from the NWC towards traveling? also, as I understand it, the league are trying to book a season long deal with one operator from Barrow and one from Allerdale/Copeland area to try and get the best possible deal for clubs to help make it sustainable?
Whether it comes off or not, I think the guys from Barrow and West Cumbria who are pushing it deserve some credit and support from the clubs as they have recognised there is a problem in the game as a whole and are trying to improve the quality of competition while at the same time reduce running costs for clubs as well as try to ensure that the Barrow clubs especially get home games, which was a problem last season according to this forum.

#52 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

Just from a players point of view, i would want to have proper success by playing teams every week of a standard that was competitive.

All clubs need to do is look at what they are doing now in which ever league their currently in and ask themselves if they are acheiving anything other than getting by. Clubs used to compete for the top leagues and cups in the country, the effects of travelling for the past 15 years has caught up and the local game needs a shot in the arm.
waddell

#53 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

So who is in this league then? and is it going ahead?

#54 shawy13

shawy13
  • Coach
  • 222 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

I think its Barrow Island, Walney, Cockermouth, Maryport, Distington, Seaton, Glasson and Wath Brow A. Should be a good league

#55 HP Beans

HP Beans
  • Coach
  • 312 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:00 AM

It,s going to be a lot of travelling on that awful road for the Cents and Island lads,would have been better if another two or three Barrow sides had entered.

#56 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:59 PM

It,s going to be a lot of travelling on that awful road for the Cents and Island lads,would have been better if another two or three Barrow sides had entered.

Think that people are banking on once the league gets up and running two more Barrow sides will join in 2014 and maybe another two the year after

#57 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:00 PM

Have none of the clubs even looked into trains? we all know how bad this road is surely the train option must have been raised at at least one of the clubs?i would also hope that there is a few more south cumbrian teams in it next year, would make a cracking league.

#58 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

I think the 2 island clubs have recognised there is going to be a problem next year in the North West mens league, it's not ideal that just 2 clubs have joined as it kind of defeats one objective of the proposed league, which was to give the Barrow teams more home games and less travelling.
Hopefully the other local teams will want the same things next season and opt for the Cumbrian League.
If say ulverston, pioneers and Hindpool did choose to switch then all the clubs would then benefit from the new structure, hopefully after the pilot season the league will be able to offer a professional well put together proposal to the remaining local clubs.
waddell

#59 storz7

storz7
  • Players
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

Be interesting to see how the Cumbria league goes .... When does it start?

#60 richie keay

richie keay

Tipping Comp Winner

• Coach
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

I noticed that Dalton's opponents couldn't raise a team yesterday!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users