Cumbrian League

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#61 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:32 AM

So the League has got started, with last weeks fixtures being tight. It will be interesting to see how it goes, the big test being our friends from up the coast fulfilling their Barrow fixtures.

All the noise's suggest that they will which for me will then pose the question what could the league look like next season?

The playing standard looks very similar to the premier league without maybe the top sides in it. So playing wise it certainly would of suited Roose, Ulverston, Dalton and Hindpool than the leagues they are in at the moment.

So if the standard is more suited to our local side's and offers local derbies to every club that joins Barrow island & Walney in the division can you see anymore Furness teams joining the flagship Cumbrian League?

I know the downside of it is the Coastroad, apart from that though the positives for me seem to outweigh the negatives, especially if your club is wanting to prosper finance wise.
waddell

#62 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:07 PM

I'm pretty sure Glasson are traveling down the M6 and across tomorrow for their game, not sure which way Distington are going, the deal that the league has with the coach company means they can go either way for the same money.
I've also heard that Maryport are using a coach next week, and going on the train later in the season to Walney to see which is best for future games, my mate said the train was a lot cheaper than the coaches, and works out at £9.00 each. As each club gets £100 per trip towards traveling, that would only cost the club £125 for a party of 25!!
I know you can't use the train for all games, but certainly any team traveling to Maryport could easily go by train as the station is adjacent to both clubs, likewise if Dalston or Millom join in the future the train would be a good option, maybe they could get Northern Rail on board as a sponsor!

#63 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:52 AM

I do like the idea of the train, i cant see it costing alot for a few taxis from the station if needs be. A stop off at Foxfield on the way home as well. Happy days.
waddell

#64 old millom town

old millom town
  • Coach
  • 432 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:45 AM

If dalton dont switch to summer can see lads moving away and them being in danger of folding as there not getting games in that winter league ..

Edited by old millom town, 18 March 2013 - 11:42 AM.

#65 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,782 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:56 AM

If dalton dont switch to summer can see lads moving away and them being in danger of folding as there not getting games in that winter league ..

Got beat last Saturday
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#66 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:20 PM

Massive crowd yesterday for barrow island v walney, it looks like the gamble the two clubs took is paying off.
waddell

#67 shawy13

shawy13
  • Coach
  • 228 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:40 PM

If you had stayed in NWML you would have still played Walney this season and possibly Roose aswell.
The size of the crowd is nothing to do with being in the Cumbria league, it was the only game on for miles. Millom to the North and Heysham to the South were the closest other games taking place so you had a captive audience.

#68 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:52 PM

Whatever tiger, the Cumbrian league so far has been a success, you only have to ask the players. I still fancy you though shawy so just start agreeing with me.
waddell

#69 shawy13

shawy13
  • Coach
  • 228 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:51 AM

You always get ratty when your hungry, must be the lack of a Burger King on the coast road 😃

Unless other Barrow teams join you its not really gonna make much difference to you except for the little piece of the £5000 you get which isn't gonna make much difference.

#70 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:24 PM

The difference is a more competitive division Shawy, if other teams join then it benefits everyone.
I hope the other clubs see the light and see how playing local derbies every other week would prosper them too.
I prefer the Bowness burger now on away trips, especially blondes
waddell

#71 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:25 PM

The difference is a more competitive division Shawy, if other teams join then it benefits everyone.
I hope the other clubs see the light and see how playing local derbies every other week would prosper them too.
I prefer the Bowness burger now on away trips, especially blondes

Another three very competitive games last weekend in the Cumbria Men's League, Cockermouth lost 10-4 to Seaton, Glasson and Maryport drew 10-all and Wath brow beat Distington by 28-24, only 10 points difference over three very hard games. And also good crowd at the Glasson v Maryport derby to compare with the crowd at Barrow Island and Walney game last week, I know it has its knockers, but so far this league is delivering everything it promised, so long may it continue!

#72 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:32 PM

see one of the best amateur teams in the country (LMR) couldn't raise a team to go to ulverston at the weekend shocking really.

this could be the one of the best competitions in the country if the rest of the local teams joined in.

What teams would be in it though?

IMO from furness 

B I 

Walney

Askam 

Hindpool

Roose

Ulverston

Millom A

From up north

Distington 

Seaton

Maryport

Glasson

Cockermouth

Brow A

would be class

couple more teams from up north maybe, but to me that would be great.

or am i just talking sh*te? :D

#73 wiganlad

wiganlad
  • Players
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:16 PM

Couldn't see Millom A being strong enough to compete in this lead or having a big enough squad to do it. In a ideal world all off the cumbrian conference teams would join but this discussion has been had before and the will to do it isn't there

#74 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:05 PM

Realistically next year should be looking to increase to maybe ten teams from the current eight I believe Hensingham will be applying to join the league it would really benefit from one or two more furness based clubs. The league is going great at the minute and personally I cant wait to play both Barrow Island and Walney for the change of scenery from playing against the same old same old

Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#75 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:43 PM

I could see Pioneers and maybe Ulverston joining next year and if Dalton see sense and go summer it would suit them too. The away trips have been a big hit with walney and barrow island lads as they've been enjoying Bowness in the sun, just taking in the sights apparently.
waddell

#76 storz7

storz7
  • Players
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:33 PM

Don't think we ulverston will be joining anytime soon we are happy with the league we are in now but who nos...

#77 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:14 PM

Well hopefully pioneers will join the Cumbrian league next year, it'll give them local games and a chance to rebuild without dropping standards.
waddell

#78 shawy13

shawy13
  • Coach
  • 228 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:13 PM

No disrespect to Pioneers but I would think a drop in standard would be just what they need.

#79 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:37 AM

I think enough has been said about Dalton, Ulverston and Pioneers joining the Cumbria League. I have no idea what the playing standard of those clubs is in relation to Walney and Barrow Island, but I do know that the Cumbrian League has delivered everything it set out to so far, but we are only a third of the way through the season so there's time yet for it to go #### up (but I don't think it will).

the West Cumbrian clubs are enjoying every game and there have been some crackers played in front of healthy crowds, there have been no whipping boys and the majority of games have been tight, and if you look at the results on the Cumbriarugbyleague.co.uk website, you can see that out of 21 league games played, there has only been 6 points difference between winning and losing in 10 of those games.

If any of the Furness clubs want to join next season, then I'm sure the league will welcome them with open arms, if they don't, well that's their decision and we have to respect that. the Cumbria league does need at least a couple more clubs as there are gaps in the fixtures at the minute with only have 8 sides in the competition, but the level of competition so far should at least give the doubters something to think about and at least acknowledge the fact that so far the new league is working

#80 shawy13

shawy13
  • Coach
  • 228 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:49 AM

Doesn't seem to be much consistency in fixtures. Some teams going quite a long time between games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users