Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Cumbrian League

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#81 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:41 PM

A few extra Furness clubs joining the league would change this for everyone's benefit.

Doesn't seem to be much consistency in fixtures. Some teams going quite a long time between games.

Doesn't seem to be much consistency in fixtures. Some teams going quite a long time between games.

#82 shawy13

shawy13
  • Coach
  • 237 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:06 PM

But while the West Cumbrian teams are taking weeks out to play in their own local cups then there will still be plenty of weeks without games. There was a couple of our lads taking an interest in the league but seeing teams go weeks without games seems to have put an end to this.

#83 shawy13

shawy13
  • Coach
  • 237 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:09 PM

And when you say everyone's benefit you mean the teams in the league now not necessarily the teams currently in the NWML

#84 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 498 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:13 AM

Part of that shawy is the lack of teams from Furness and part of it is the league is flexible with clubs requesting weeks off.
I was speaking to the real boss and power at hindpool the other day Deej (Martin Kennedy) and he said its only a matter of time before they join. His words were dont listen to that puppet shawy, ill make the decision when the time is right .
waddell

#85 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:44 PM

Two solutions - more Barrow teams who can play on the weeks when the west cumbrians have cup weeks or the Barrow teams enter the cup competitions!

Considering everything new has teething problems the issues in the CML are minor and easily overcome!
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#86 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 468 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:18 PM

As I understand it the league programme was spread out because there were only 8 teams in this year's competition. Paul Williamson has told me that if more teams enter next season, then the cup dates will be looked at to ensure the league fixtures get priority without as many gaps, but still retaining some to allow clubs to move fixtures for stag weekends or holidays.

The cup games will still be there for those that want to enter

Walney and Barrow Island were aware of the number of league fixtures when they entered the competition, and I'm sure they are hoping that more Furness based side join next season as the competition so far is proving to be a success.

At the Maryport and Distington game last night I would estimate there was around 450 - 500 people who watched Distington snatch a win in the dying minutes to win 30-28. I understand there was a similar tight game involving Barrow Island and Walney earlier in the season which attracted a similar crowd, so why the opposition Shawy?

If another 3 sides from Furness join and they can get a 10 or 12 team competition going, surely the local derbies alone should be reason enough without teams having to travel every other week to Lancashire. I'm sure it would benefit the County sides as well, as the selectors would be seeing cumbrian players from both sides of the County

#87 shawy13

shawy13
  • Coach
  • 237 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:24 PM

I'm not opposed nor am i in favour. My club are perfectly happy where we are I'm only winding Joe up but I managed to get a nibble on Facebook before he seen my post on here.

#88 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 498 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:11 PM

Ill always give you a nibble shawy, You only have to ask.
waddell

#89 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:13 AM

And when you say everyone's benefit you mean the teams in the league now not necessarily the teams currently in the NWML

I was thinking the more Furness sides entering the CL the better for everyone including the West Cumbrian clubs, more teams = more fixtures,  More Furness derbies & hopefully more intense local RL which would hopefully attract more youth to take up the game, Plus as another poster put it, also better for Cumbrian RL as a whole.

#90 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 498 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:30 AM

Has there been any talk of anymore teams joining the league next season?
waddell

#91 shawy13

shawy13
  • Coach
  • 237 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:00 AM

Barrow might have to apply if they lose next week

#92 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 498 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:53 PM

Only one team from Hindpool will be admitted, they don't want to spread the talent too thin. The tigers are in.
waddell

#93 shawy13

shawy13
  • Coach
  • 237 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:08 PM

Watch this space...

Edited by shawy13, 28 August 2013 - 02:09 PM.

#94 Moosey

Moosey
  • Players
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:02 AM

I hear that Seaton have withdrawn from the league, which is a shame with only a few games to go. I hope they can regroup for next year as they are a great bunch of lads.This once again highlights the need for the whole of Cumbria ARL community to come together and embrace this concept.

I hope teams from Barrow realise that this is a very competetive league and come and join to make this venture even better!

#95 shawy13

shawy13
  • Coach
  • 237 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:15 AM

Congratulations to Walney who Im told secured the league title on Saturday.

#96 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 498 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:36 PM

Well done to Walney, it hurts to say that.
Come on Shawy your the man in the know, Hindpool, Dalton, Ulverston, Askam and Millom for Cumbria League next year. Bigger crowds than the raiders.
waddell

#97 shawy13

shawy13
  • Coach
  • 237 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:54 AM

Cant see us going anywhere soon mate. Weve played plenty of games this year and only had 1 team cry off and on the whole its been a very competitive division especially between the top 5/6. Weve played a lot more games than we would have got in the Cumbria League

Ulverston are going well and aiming for the Prem but if they don't get it then Hindpool, Ulverston and Heysham will all square off next year and Heysham is always a hugely anticipated game for us and Ulverston.

I wouldn't think Askam would go anywhere their club is buzzing at the moment.

Wouldn't have a clue what Millom would think. They seem to have done it tough this season but they have had it a lot harder in the past and come through. Sounds like they have blooded a lot of youngsters this year so they will only get stronger.

Dalton might be interested though if the winter league turns into the shambles it was last year.

#98 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 498 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:38 PM

There's no doubt that the league needs more teams and with more local clubs it generates more interest and money. I don't blame the north west mens teams staying where they are, as people more informed than me know what's best for their clubs. My view is still that everybody playing in the same division would be best for the clubs long term.
waddell

#99 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 498 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:43 PM

Every club has cycles of being strong and weak, it's year to year now. So I don't go along with the view that so an so team are doing well, Hindpool, Askam and Walney are doing well now through hard work and good coaching but it was only a couple of years ago that Millom and Barrow Island were a cut above. It's what's going to benefit the clubs long term that matters.
There never has been a vision or goal for the areas teams so now might be a good time for one.
waddell

#100 storz7

storz7
  • Players
  • 51 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:43 AM

Speaking from the players point of view everyone down ulv has enjoyed our league this year been a tough league.... Looks very unlikely we would move to Cumbria league but who nos what might happen