Cumbrian League

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#101 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:49 PM

It's good that it's been tough and you have had plenty of games. From a players point of view being succesful and having a good crack is paramount.
For the clubs they should be looking at how they can strengthen themselves and become succesful long term. Which more local Derbies helps to do. The local amateur game only generates real interest and crowds when local teams are involved.
Decisions should be made on what is best for players and clubs, which surely more money, coverage and crowds dictates we need a more localised competition.
waddell

#102 shawy13

shawy13
  • Coach
  • 228 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:40 PM

Give it up old lad

#103 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:15 AM

I have mate, it's why I stopped getting involved in rugby, I'm no good in committee's I'm more of a dictator.
waddell

#104 shawy13

shawy13
  • Coach
  • 228 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:23 AM

Apparantly not everyone at Barrow Island thinks this Cumbria League is as wonderful as you do

#105 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:18 PM

Who cares what other people think Shawy, that's how democracy and capitalism started and look how that's worked out.
waddell

#106 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:45 AM

Cumbria League as an on-field competition has been brilliant and played at a very high standard. What it needs are another 3 side to ensure there are no gaps in the competition.

Another two Barrow sides would make a world of difference and would provide more local derby games which in turn reduces expenditure and increases revenue.

Get those extra teams and it will go from strength to strength with more league fixtures meaning a reduction in lost weekends for cup games. The West Cumbrian clubs have enjoyed the level of competition and the traveling to Barrow, and one look at the results this season shows there have been very few one-sided games.

#107 shawy13

shawy13
  • Coach
  • 228 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:56 AM

Couldn't agree more

#108 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:34 AM

With the loss of Seaton, but the adding of another team from the Cumberland league, it's a case of more of the same. Which wouldn't be a disaster.
If say 3 extra South Cumbrian teams entered then you got the end goal of the competition. Like Rah Rah said the clubs benefit but the players also benefit from more home games.
A Friday night fixture once a month would do wonders.
waddell

#109 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:36 AM

Barrow island, Walney, Millom, Roose and Dalton. That's the rumours for next years Cumbria league.
waddell

#110 roose_pioneer

roose_pioneer
  • Players
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:26 AM

I can honeslty say Joe that I haven't heard anything up at Millom regarding us going in the cumbria league next year and we are hoping to stay up in the conference division 1.

Regarding Pioneers, i'm not sure what their plans are

Lee Edmo

#111 shawy13

shawy13
  • Coach
  • 228 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:39 PM

Take no notice of Joe he's clutching at straws.

#112 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:11 PM

Tis true, I tell lies I haven't heard any rumours. However being on here stops me from going on Xhamster. com quite as much.
waddell

#113 shawy13

shawy13
  • Coach
  • 228 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:35 PM

Ive heard Kells 'A' and Hensingham mentioned

#114 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:20 AM

Seaton have regrouped and have new coaching team so wouldnt be surprised if they apply again. There normally a very well ran club, last year they had some problems but their youth will be starting to filter through now so I would expect them to be much stronger next year.

Kells A would be a good acquisition if they are interested, I've seen them a few times this season and they are a useful side.

Another 3 clubs would be ideal, as that would give 20 league games, and there's always someone wanting a week off for stag do, wedding festivals etc, so that would mean one club had a bye each week which could be slotted into the fixtures

#115 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:34 PM

Approaching this from a Seaton point of view I think that its fair to say that lessons have been learned this season in the cumbria mens league, we had a terrible run of injuries which left us with a depleted squad that cant be helped and we had no back up. In 2014 we will have an extra 25 youth players eligible to play and under pin our open age structure, and as DTTRRs says we have a new coaching structure soon to be announced that will bring a different dimension to our club. Only Kells have more youth players signed on in West Cumbria than ourselves!!

The lessons learned from this season is that as a club we cannot enter all of the domestic CARLA cups. Its simply infeasible as the more free weekends and scope to manouevre the better and we didnt give ourselves any of that. The second one is that at the height of summer festival seasons games have to be as localised as possible, we had a date where we had three festivals that different players were going to, and the last one is that the Barrow clubs were a real privilege to deal with both Lesley Parkin and John Jefferson were fanatastic with us my biggest regret is we never got to play Barrow Island and repay John for all of his assistance

As has been said some more structure needs to be added to the CML off the field and im sure it will but its a great competition that needs a couple of teams from Barrow to make it better but its the only league we at Seaton want to be and we will be doing our best to seek readmission
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#116 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:06 PM

Just out of intrest, what are dalton doing?

when was there last game and when is there next game? B and D not included.

what league are they in? so on and so on.

Edited by shun, 23 September 2013 - 08:09 PM.

#117 shawy13

shawy13
  • Coach
  • 228 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:00 AM

Dalton played on Saturday at home to Parkside Golbourne in the NWC winter league, think it finished 18-4 to Dalton.

Their next home game is down as 12th October according to their programme. 

#118 HP Beans

HP Beans
  • Coach
  • 312 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:23 PM

Roose Pioneers are entering Cumbrian league for 2014 I'm hearing.

#119 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,906 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:37 AM

Anyone know who's in this for 2014 yet?

#120 shawy13

shawy13
  • Coach
  • 228 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:16 PM

Think Roose, Kells 'A' and Hensingham have joined that's not 100% though just what I've heard

Edited by shawy13, 10 February 2014 - 05:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users