Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Which two teams will get promoted next season?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 mickhornet

mickhornet
  • Coach
  • 439 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:05 AM

On last seasons league positions it would seem to be a fight between Hornets, Oldham,Skolars,and Crusaders.Seperated by just 4 points.Points difference could be vital.We really do have to win at South Wales for once. To close to call before the season starts.

#2 glemiln

glemiln
  • Coach
  • 212 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:39 AM

Our Defence has to be much better than last season - no use scoring a bag full, only to concede 20 or more - and much as I dislike them, we have to ensure bonus points.
Hopefully, our new coaching team will bring Discipline to the fore too. Achieve the double D, along with some flair and we will make the top two.
Do we know for certain what the league format will be for the season ahead, including the play-offs if there are only a few teams in the division?

#3 mickhornet

mickhornet
  • Coach
  • 439 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:23 AM

The top team goes up automatically.And the playoffs are the same as usual i think.The league could be won or lost in the first 6 games depending on the fixture list.The only safe way is to win every game.Defence and discipline will be paramount.To lose in the Play-off final would be catastrophic.

#4 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:30 AM

What will be certain is a good start. With only 16 games in the league getting off to a bad start will leave the club with too much to drag back.

I fancy Hornets will again be quite good at home but we should certainly be aware that this dreadful Bonus Point is targetted if we do suffer a reversal. Away wins will then be the deciding factor, so yes our usual wobbles at London and South Wales will be very important, along with the Bonus Point, again.

If you take the scenario of 6 wins at home with 4 wins away and 3 Bonus Points that gives a total of 33 points. That's more than we had this season so should be able to get us into the top four minimum. However, given the link with Saints coupled with the coaching team of Talbot/Calland/Hough/Ramsdale along with the possibility of players from Saints being available I'm ho[eful we will make the top two.

It's vitally important that the players have aattitude of confidence and go into games knowing that they can certainly win if they play their 'A' game they can beat anybody in that league.

Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

War doesn't decide who is right, just who is left!

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#5 fillipo del toro

fillipo del toro
  • Coach
  • 257 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:27 AM

I'll throw my hat in, I reckon we will be champions. North Wales are the only team I see as a threat so far.
Phil Bull.

Hopefully my post are viewed as positive, and I cannot be held responsible for causing any offence to anyone associated with this message board

#6 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 469 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:43 PM

Hopefully, you guys and Oldham will get promotion, with 2 Yorkshire teams dropping down. Far too many yorky teams in CC

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#7 boro hornet

boro hornet
  • Coach
  • 782 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:46 PM

Think our main rivals will be north wales oldham and skolars we need to win all our home games and the away games we lose we need at least a bonus point .the teams relegated in my opinion will be york and hunslet
Success does not consists in never making blunders,but in never making the same one the second time.

#8 houndpup

houndpup
  • Coach
  • 247 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:54 PM

hope you guys come up ,great ground and the best pies in rl

#9 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:49 PM

Talking about the pies, they are good, the Dale's fanzine was called 'Exceedingly Good Pies'. I hope we can get promoted as well and I'm sure that's the aim of everyone at the club.

Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#10 fillipo del toro

fillipo del toro
  • Coach
  • 257 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:05 PM

hope you guys come up ,great ground and the best pies in rl

Agreed the Peppered Steak are a real treat.. Claytons Pies belters
Phil Bull.

Hopefully my post are viewed as positive, and I cannot be held responsible for causing any offence to anyone associated with this message board

#11 ThunderArmy

ThunderArmy
  • Coach
  • 256 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:44 AM

hi guys, always enjoy coming to spotland, we gateshead have had awful few seasons though next season will be alot better in my opinion, weve signed 6 new players so far with more to come and we've strenghened positions that we needed to big time, signed halfbacks, prop forwards, fullback, will be another tough season for us though our signings so far are really good for us and i think we'll shock a few teams next season, you boys oldham and crusaders will be top 3 in my opinion.

#12 ornit4ever

ornit4ever
  • Coach
  • 431 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:00 AM

Pity you are not playing Town at home next season, Thunderarmy ;)
RUGBY LEAGUE WITHOUT ROCHDALE HORNETS IS LIKE AN UNSHARPENED PENCIL, THERES NO POINT?

#13 fillipo del toro

fillipo del toro
  • Coach
  • 257 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:38 AM

hi guys, always enjoy coming to spotland, we gateshead have had awful few seasons though next season will be alot better in my opinion, weve signed 6 new players so far with more to come and we've strenghened positions that we needed to big time, signed halfbacks, prop forwards, fullback, will be another tough season for us though our signings so far are really good for us and i think we'll shock a few teams next season, you boys oldham and crusaders will be top 3 in my opinion.

Good luck for next season
Phil Bull.

#14 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:54 AM

I've gone on record to say that of all current Rugby League fans the ones that follow Thunder are the best. Anyone can supprt a Wigan, Leeds or Saints, or for that matter an Oldham, Rochdale or Swinton, but when you habitually follow your team knowing that the odds are on a battering you are great fans.

I've spoken with a regular, he's a big stocky guy and has his family with him and he goes in the bar afterwards not just scamper out and off home and the guy deserves a medal. The problem Thunder face is that they haven't won for so long that everyone tries that bit harder against you because they don't want to be the first to lose to you! In the past it has been Doncaster and London and way back when it was Hornets and Liverpool City, but those did win occasionally?!?!

This coming season will be the hardest yet as your games with us and Oldham are effectively your 'Derbies'. I hope you do get a few wins this season!!

Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#15 ornit4ever

ornit4ever
  • Coach
  • 431 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:28 PM

Now now Mr Pugwash, Gateshead have won more recently that Hornets have :o

The Big bloke you mentioned is BIG KEV.................what a supporter.
RUGBY LEAGUE WITHOUT ROCHDALE HORNETS IS LIKE AN UNSHARPENED PENCIL, THERES NO POINT?

#16 ThunderArmy

ThunderArmy
  • Coach
  • 256 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:13 AM

thanks for comments guys, going to games noing we'll lose has been really tough and upsetting , i live in york the last few years though still travel to watch gateshead always have done and always will, not alot of us though we make alot of noise and love our club, and next season finally looks like being a good 1 for us, some really good players signed with more to come never been as excited for a season in a long time though will be tough for us i no that, see you guys next season always enjoy trip to spotland, yes the gent you mention is bigkev great guy he is, thanks agian for nice comment mate.

#17 TOSH1960

TOSH1960
  • Coach
  • 424 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:16 PM

It looks like Oxford are making some useful signings and won't be a walk over. They have outbid Oldham for a few players. But would love to see Hornets and Roughyeds go up.

#18 oldham13

oldham13
  • Coach
  • 706 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:51 PM

Teams for promotion!

With a 9 team league and only 16 matches to gain promotion there is no remove for error this year or a prolonged injury list.

North Wales Crusaders have and continue to recruit well and for me are "one" of the favorites for promotion along with Oldham, or Rochdale and I think London will be a strong play off team this year.

I think Hamel, Gloucester and Oxford will cope in the league but they will lack experience at this level. South Wales will be very competitive but Gateshead will prop up the league again.

We Are Oldham Roughyeds

#19 Anita Bath

Anita Bath
  • Coach
  • 509 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:01 PM

Fixtures not out yet and it does seem odd to havbe a 9 team league, even for the clowns at RFL, so based on that I smell a rat, further late expansion and I suspect the promoted teams will be Kabul Knightriders and Stockholm Stormers :rolleyes:

#20 mickhornet

mickhornet
  • Coach
  • 439 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

Skolars have linked up with London Broncos. They will have 5 players on dual registration, and are to use the Broncos training facilities.Obviously they are contenders.