Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Who's In and Who's Out at the Bulls?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

But is now the time for the club to be pinpointing particular players' lack of decency? Anyway, I don't feel strongly about it, I am just surprised that this has gone the way it has.

#22 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

What due credit?

If they thought he was contracted to them they are stupid.
The RFL paid the wages while telling clubs not to approach players

The contracts were TUPEd to the OK Bulls
CK declined to be transfered over citing the recent events and immediately became a free agent - no contract with the new bulls and able to join who he wants thanks to Bosnan

#23 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:36 PM

The only issue that was going on was if any undue contact between the player and other clubs happened

If it did then its gonna be an interesting issue
If not then its an open and shut case with a mass of precedent

#24 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:37 PM

But is now the time for the club to be pinpointing particular players' lack of decency?

The club aren't, I am.
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#25 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,626 posts

Actually, I do not see the distinction. It isn't for the new board to say that has nothing to do with me when dealing with a case which is a direct consequence of events leading to their take over. It is precisely because they are different people that they have the opportunity to behave properly and let someone go who has been through a level of job uncertainty which would throw anybody.
In any event, from what i have seen of employment law, I would rather be in Kopczak's shoes than the Bulls, who let's face it, don't have a great recent record of litigation.
Incidentally, I am a fan of the Bulls, and have huge sympathy for what pretty much everyone associated with the club has been through, especially the supporters. If the new regime had learnt anything from the recent past it is surely (i) enter legal arguments at your peril and (ii) behave with dignity to those people who put their bodies on the line heroically while the club was in turmoil.

I don't think you fully understand the position.

In a takeover situation of this type, the employer is obliged, by law, to continue employing all people contracted at the time of the takeover, and at the same rates. This does not apply to the employees - who do not have to accept the 'new' employer. So Kopczak has done nothing wrong in refusing to accept the old contract, it is his legal right to accept or otherwise.

Unfortunately it for the player, it is coming up against the RFL's registration rules and of course both clubs and players have to abide by the RFL's rules and it is the RFL who are, apparently, insisting on a transfer agreement being reached between the clubs before they sanction any new registration (they have said they will impose one by tribunal if there is no agreement). Going by players' published tweets, it would appear that 'Kopout's' name is mud amongst the other players, so I can't see him not moving as that would likely cause dressing room dissent as things stand.
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#26 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,666 posts

The only issue that was going on was if any undue contact between the player and other clubs happened

Considering how quickly he found another club, I think that is the issue
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

#27 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:40 PM

He hasn't officially found another club as yet

And the OK Bulls can't hold his registration, nor can the RFLs registration rules supersede UK employment law

My understanding is the RFL hope there will be some "agreement" reached.

#28 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:42 PM

"Officially" the key word there.

I will however, bow to Bulliac's far superior knowledge of the situation
SQL Honours

#29 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:50 PM

And the OK Bulls can't hold his registration, nor can the RFLs registration rules supersede UK employment law

My understanding is the RFL hope there will be some "agreement" reached.

I think that is basically correct, but I would add that the RFL can, if it wishes, impose sanctions or financial penalties on its member clubs, which is my reading of where where we are at present.

#30 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:20 PM

I don't think you fully understand the position.

In a takeover situation of this type, the employer is obliged, by law, to continue employing all people contracted at the time of the takeover, and at the same rates. This does not apply to the employees - who do not have to accept the 'new' employer. So Kopczak has done nothing wrong in refusing to accept the old contract, it is his legal right to accept or otherwise.

Unfortunately it for the player, it is coming up against the RFL's registration rules and of course both clubs and players have to abide by the RFL's rules and it is the RFL who are, apparently, insisting on a transfer agreement being reached between the clubs before they sanction any new registration (they have said they will impose one by tribunal if there is no agreement). Going by players' published tweets, it would appear that 'Kopout's' name is mud amongst the other players, so I can't see him not moving as that would likely cause dressing room dissent as things stand.

Thanks for that. I don't understand the position fully. I don't know the facts or the relevant rules, so my opinion is with little ultimate merit. That said, I stand by my basic point that it seems rum for the Bulls to take a stand contra any of their players in this year of all years. Whatever the rules say.

#31 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:34 AM

Thanks for that. I don't understand the position fully. I don't know the facts or the relevant rules, so my opinion is with little ultimate merit. That said, I stand by my basic point that it seems rum for the Bulls to take a stand contra any of their players in this year of all years. Whatever the rules say.

The Bradford club should have the same rights and resposibilities as any other club, and all have to act in regard to the rules and regulations in force, in this and any other year; the alternative is called anarchy.

For the record, Kopout, who is a current Welsh international and had no worries whatever of securing another deal if the Bradford one went sour, jumped ship right at the end of the season when all the other players, some of whom definitely did have such worries, were busy busting a gut, in a forlorn hope of making the play-offs. The other players though did find time to express their feelings on social networks - and the players you are apparently so concerned about, think even less of him than most of the fans do.

#32 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:52 PM

That's their problem isn't it

And no player can be certain of getting a good contract, if they leave it too long salary caps are spent - just ask teams getting promoted prior to licensing

CK did what he thought was best for himself and his family, and I'm sure other players did the same.

Shame the back room staff didnt have the same luxury.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users