Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Oldham

• Please log in to reply
402 replies to this topic

#1 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 969 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:44 AM

So as to avoid taking another thread ever further off topic, I thought I'd start a new one in relation to Oldham.

Does anyone know which SL club the Roughyeds have linked up with?

#2 Kent Roughyed

Kent Roughyed
  • Players
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

The Chron reported on 4th October that talks were underway with a super league club, but no news since then.

#3 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:31 AM

talks have stopped.........hopefully its because chris hamilton has realized he'd lose the small amount of fans the club has left...

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#4 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 969 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:47 AM

talks have stopped.........hopefully its because chris hamilton has realized he'd lose the small amount of fans the club has left...

Other than the fact that the club has a pretty decent history (albeit not so good in recent years), and that the Oldham area has produced some outstanding RL players over the decades, I don't know a great deal about the club. Would the fans really walk away if the club were to link up with a SL club?

I only ask as I was reading an interesting article about Swinton and how they are already benefiting from their link up with the Wolves, since they now have access to a standard of facilities and conditioning expertise they could only dream of before. Of course no-one knows how all this will wash out, but it certainly seems it could be positive if the tie up allows for the lower division clubs to access the know-how further up the food chain.

#5 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,475 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:51 AM

I only ask as I was reading an interesting article about Swinton and how they are already benefiting from their link up with the Wolves, since they now have access to a standard of facilities and conditioning expertise they could only dream of before. Of course no-one knows how all this will wash out, but it certainly seems it could be positive if the tie up allows for the lower division clubs to access the know-how further up the food chain.

The problem arises, I suppose, when some C1 clubs are left without a partner and they don't have that advantage. Some may opt out but others will simply be left out and so within a division there will be a kind of haves and have nots divide. This possibility is one of two aspects to this arrangement that leaves me feeling uncomfortable.

#6 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:54 AM

Other than the fact that the club has a pretty decent history (albeit not so good in recent years), and that the Oldham area has produced some outstanding RL players over the decades, I don't know a great deal about the club. Would the fans really walk away if the club were to link up with a SL club?

well we'll let other clubs be the guinea pigs.....and yeah fans would walk away from the club if we become a branch of a super league club

OLDHAM RLFC

#7 sheddings69

sheddings69
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:54 AM

For most of my fellow Oldham supporters, rightly or wrongly it's seen as the final nail in the coffin.....and we are already struggling for air!

#8 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:56 AM

well we'll let other clubs be the guinea pigs.....and yeah fans would walk away from the club if we become a branch of a super league club

Cutting their nose off to spite their own face. Its a shame really.
Posted Image

#9 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

not really........

we can build a club without the need of help from super league club..we have a development squad & a very good reserve team

we can build a squad without the help of another club

the club already has access to some of the regions newest and most modern training facilities via its sponsorship with OCL (oldham community lesuire, chris hamilton is actually on the board of OCL)..

the club is not far away from submitting plans for 2 new stands at whitebank....

we've even started a new amateur club "limehurst lions ARLFC" to get the local kids into RL instead of nicking cars!!

what the club needs is a injection of cash to get up back into the top half of the championship where the club should be at the very least...not to be someone else feeder club..

OLDHAM RLFC

#10 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:15 PM

Fair enough. Good luck.
Posted Image

#11 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:15 PM

Of the squad announced so far by Oldham. Five of them have been produced through their own reserve team, Kenny Hughes,Jamie Dallimore, Danny Langtree, Phil Joy and Liam Gilchrist. this team has been run without massive handouts from the governing body, but because the people running the club despite the criticism they receive, saw this as the best way to take the club forward.
The proposed link ups between SL and CC/CC1 clubs will mainly benefit the SL clubs and in my view have come about as the greedy SL clubs do not want to spend any of their hand outs on developing this batch of players and therfore they are getting the lower league teams to do it for them. So if Oldham hold out without becoming SL reserves, well done to them. The RFL seem to be doing everything in their powers to try and kill off the games development in the town. The latest is to end the contracts of the towns development officers. This could see the demise of the Oldham Service Area.

#12 sheddings69

sheddings69
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:16 PM

Cutting their nose off to spite their own face. Its a shame really.

Who would they 'partner' with? Salford? No wait......I think you had a typo Gav as it certainly is a SHAM!

#13 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:23 PM

Who would they 'partner' with? Salford? No wait......I think you had a typo Gav as it certainly is a SHAM!

It isn't, but I'm not getting into it again.

Good luck making your club into a force in the Championship despite those meanies at Red Hall who clearly hate you. You're doing a sterling job so far.
Posted Image

#14 Wanderer

Wanderer
  • Coach
  • 106 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:33 PM

was going to say salford but saw that had already been done, so how about catalans?

#15 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:33 PM

Focusing on the potential demise of the Oldham Service Area, I had a quick think of who has probably come through this route in the recent past. With Kevin Sinfield as the latest, I make that the 3rd National Team Captain with Steve Molloy, Paul Sculthorpe. Not sure whether Iestyn Harris Captained his country or not. My point is it will be a great loss if this all comes to an end in December due to the RFL cutting their funding to the afore mentioned posts.

#16 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:41 PM

Is the Development Officer redundancies due to a cut in Sport England funding?
Posted Image

#17 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:54 PM

Is the Development Officer redundancies due to a cut in Sport England funding?

I think that, that is the underlying reason behind it. First all the area talent coaches went, now the pending loss of the development posts. This is compounded in Oldham as the previous very successful volunteers who ran the Service Area, resigned on mass. because they did not agree with the RFL introduced Pathway, which meant the Service Area's no longer played games.

#18 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 589 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:49 PM

I thought the Service Area had only just been re established less than a year ago!?

Sad days!

#19 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,800 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:42 PM

So as to avoid taking another thread ever further off topic, I thought I'd start a new one in relation to Oldham.

Does anyone know which SL club the Roughyeds have linked up with?

St Annes
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#20 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,800 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:46 PM

what if the few supporters that are left decide they don't want to watch a super league under 23 team playing in their club colours and either walk away from the game or even decide to follow the super league team instead.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users