Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Oldham

• Please log in to reply
402 replies to this topic

#381 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

I'm glad I was sitting down when I read that.

#382 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,193 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:06 AM

I'm glad I was sitting down when I read that.

Surprised were you.

I'm not surprised at all.

The penny had to finally drop through the clouds of fantasy and dreamland you surrounded yourself with.

Shame it took 274 meters of thread and 516 posts exchanged between us before you finally clicked that money doesn't grow on trees, RL has a limited appeal, RL has limited resources and you can't please all of the fans and clubs all of the time, and by gawd we need SKY.

Still you now agree on the financial situation, you now agree how limited the games ability to grow is.

You even suggested 14 teams in SL - it was me who expanded that to 16 it was me who was the inclusive one.

But above all you may now have realised through our marathon that I'm not the Superleague/rich man loving Championship/P&R hating devil you dreamed me up to be, and who you fantasiesed the good lord put you on this board to pursue and slay with your trusty keyboard of truth and justice.

This is post #382 I may be referring you to it in future.....

Edited by The Parksider, 15 November 2012 - 07:07 AM.

#383 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:52 PM

Surprised were you.

I'm not surprised at all.

The penny had to finally drop through the clouds of fantasy and dreamland you surrounded yourself with.

Shame it took 274 meters of thread and 516 posts exchanged between us before you finally clicked that money doesn't grow on trees, RL has a limited appeal, RL has limited resources and you can't please all of the fans and clubs all of the time, and by gawd we need SKY.

Still you now agree on the financial situation, you now agree how limited the games ability to grow is.

You even suggested 14 teams in SL - it was me who expanded that to 16 it was me who was the inclusive one.

But above all you may now have realised through our marathon that I'm not the Superleague/rich man loving Championship/P&R hating devil you dreamed me up to be, and who you fantasiesed the good lord put you on this board to pursue and slay with your trusty keyboard of truth and justice.

This is post #382 I may be referring you to it in future.....

Firstly, I never said money wasn't short or the game could function without it. Secondly, I certainly never said we didn't need Sky money. I have posted repeatedly that the Sky money, in my opinion saved the game.

That whole post by me was a suggestion on how we might have to operate in future because the money was NOT sufficient to make a fully pro SL workable, so I do know we need money. It was you who took so long to realise the financial unreality of continuing to operate a fully pro super league without the money to do so.

None of the post by you addresses the need for there to be an opportunity for lower tier teams to be able to join the party or for the failing SL teams to leave it. P and R.

I have also repeatedly posted on the need to attempt to get extra financing, particularly from TV in order to grow the game, either back to a sustainable full time pro league or maybe even to expand. Conferences, SL 1 and 2, whatever.

It has always been difficult to grow the game. In fact from the early 1900's to the late 40's and early 50's when we got Workington, Whitehaven, Doncaster and Blackpool, we didn't grow domestically at all.

I think the abandonment of the ban on playing RL by RU was a watershed moment, however, and has directly led to the biggest growth of the game since 1896. The schools, universities, armed forces, amateur leagues all over the country and even in the rest of the UK and Ireland and internationally, and now semi pro expansion into London, the home counties, the Gloucester area and soon the midlands have all exploded since that seminal moment in Rugby history..

To further grow we need more money. Some will be raised locally but more than ever we need to get a better TV contract.

The World Cup next year presents a huge opportunity for the game to showcase itself in a hugely positive light which, with a bit of luck, will materialise into more money being funnelled into RL.

As regards your seeing the light on the merits of teams outside the pale of SL, I remain to be convinced. I will await your future posts before I admit to the truth of your claims.

#384 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,193 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:38 PM

None of the post by you addresses the need for there to be an opportunity for lower tier teams to be able to join the party or for the failing SL teams to leave it. P and R.

Yes it does - read it please......

"Not only a saving but an even competition top to bottom. Better chance for Leigh & Halifax to survive if promoted"

#385 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

Sean Long has just tweeted that a Salford/Oldham partnership is imminent...

Posted Image
Posted Image

#386 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:02 AM

Sean Long has just tweeted that a Salford/Oldham partnership is imminent...

Posted Image

Well, you will still lose to Rochdale because St Helens reserves are better than Salford s.

#387 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:26 AM

i think there'll be moves to form a new club if it happens...

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#388 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,285 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:14 AM

Be silly if there is.
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#389 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:53 AM

I think Oldham will be getting the wooden spoon of these "link ups" if they get us at Salford! We can't afford to keep our best first team players and any reserve players will be playing for SL - IF we keep going? Mind you If they do manage the miracle and get new owners in it might work out ok for both clubs? But at the moment we are one "bad news" announcement away from being in the same competition as Oldham next year .....

I don't think anyone is talking about merging teams in these arrangements anyway - if we still had an under 20 + reserves competition like last year, there would be no link ups.

#390 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:08 AM

says it all really.

OLDHAM RLFC

#391 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

Well, you will still lose to Rochdale because St Helens reserves are better than Salford s.

Me? I won't be playing Rochdale.
Posted Image

#392 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:09 PM

Well thats one completely rational solution, any more...?
Posted Image

#393 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:26 PM

erm............we all go watch waterhead,st anne or saddleworth.......which is the most likely one to be honest

OLDHAM RLFC

#394 Spidey

Spidey
  • Coach
  • 452 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:31 AM

erm............we all go watch waterhead,st anne or saddleworth.......which is the most likely one to be honest

I would guess a sizeable % of Oldham's support already does

#395 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:02 AM

to be honest they do...

OLDHAM RLFC

#396 Finn

Finn
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

What happened to the lifetime Oldham fan who won the lottery some years back, promising to do right by "my family, and Oldham rugby"?

#397 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

He fell out with the club. Sponsored Oldham St Anne's for a while and I believe may have started to watch St Helens. Still lives in Oldham, but very rarely see him at Oldham games.

#398 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

What happened to the lifetime Oldham fan who won the lottery some years back, promising to do right by "my family, and Oldham rugby"?

doing "right by my family" started off with buying his wife and daughters boob jobs :lol:

plus he "only" won £4m........lets face it it would'nt have lasted long lol

OLDHAM RLFC

#399 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,193 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

He fell out with the club. Sponsored Oldham St Anne's for a while and I believe may have started to watch St Helens.

But I am told nobody in Keighley watches Bradford, Nobody in Halifax watches Bradford either, nobody in Leigh watches Wigan, etc etc etc.

So surely nobody in Oldham watches St. Helens :wacko:

#400 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:29 PM

if you'd have asked me id have gladly told you we lost fans to st helens,wigan,huddersfield & leeds lol

OLDHAM RLFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users