Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Oldham

• Please log in to reply
402 replies to this topic

#21 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,695 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:52 PM

Focusing on the potential demise of the Oldham Service Area, I had a quick think of who has probably come through this route in the recent past. With Kevin Sinfield as the latest, I make that the 3rd National Team Captain with Steve Molloy, Paul Sculthorpe. Not sure whether Iestyn Harris Captained his country or not. My point is it will be a great loss if this all comes to an end in December due to the RFL cutting their funding to the afore mentioned posts.

Phil Larder via BARLA was the driving force behind the schools program that developed those and earlier players. around that time Oldham had a cracking academy team that included one of my best mates who travelled there from Moorends for training and games.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#22 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,907 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:33 AM

Don't you guys know that there is no future for a RL club in Oldham.? This is counter productive to the welfare of SL if there is a senior club in the town. You are all to be good SL citizens and charter a mini bus or two and get to Salford City stadium for your RL entertainment.

Manchester is only big enough for one RL team and that is Salford. There is no room for a town of over 100,000 with a club with a stellar history of achievment in the game. You are to cease this Oldham can regroup and be successful heresy forthwith and march in lockstep to Salford. You cannot ever turn the clock back to your days of success today even if half the clubs in SL have done it, some in very recent years.

If you don't believe me check out the postings on the Salford are in trouble thread headlines " Oh dear".

#23 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,676 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:06 AM

...A town of over 100,000 with a club with a stellar history of achievement in the game.

That was then, This is now. Oldham has as much right as anywhere else to play rugby at top level. Indeed it has had more opportunity than most to do that. Does teh fact that it has not done so tell you anything?

#24 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,552 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:17 AM

not to mention oldham is home to over 200,000+.....also whitebank is closer to another 200,000+ people in tameside than ORLFC traditional home on the other side of oldham...

should we ever get our act together we'd have all of north east manchester and its nigh on half a million people all to ourselves..

god help you all if i ever win the euromillions :lol:

Edited by roughyedspud, 24 October 2012 - 10:20 AM.

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#25 sheddings69

sheddings69
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:27 AM

not to mention oldham is home to over 200,000+.....also whitebank is closer to another 200,000+ people in tameside than ORLFC traditional home on the other side of oldham...

should we ever get our act together we'd have all of north east manchester and its nigh on half a million people all to ourselves..

god help you all if i ever win the euromillions :lol:

2011 Census shows 224,900 people live in the metropolitan borough of Oldham.....and a further 219,300 in Tameside

Edited by sheddings69, 24 October 2012 - 10:56 AM.

#26 mackin89

mackin89
  • Coach
  • 129 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:36 AM

As a recently new rugby league convert from a soccer supporting family, i started going to Roughyeds games a couple of years ago with a few mates. Even with a shoddy ground and lack of promotion we all on the whole still enjoyed the experience and see potential for some kind of progression for the club.

I know its been mentioned in jest but i just cant see Salford grabbing support from Oldham.

A year ago me and the same lads got an apartment in Manchester towards the Salford end of town and have attended Reds games on a few occasions and although i see them as a second team in some respects (also went to their uni), but as a group we have never felt much passion for the reds Sadly.

Indeed atmosphere wise id say i prefer Whitebank. Be that blind loyalty or just the closeness to the pitch.

Im not anti superleague by any stretch i go to magic weekend and the grand final however and think a them and us attitude isnt the way forward. Its not helped by some so entrenched in the past but also those who seem very much on their high horse who support clubs with very little to lose.

In terms of the chairman i dont know enough to have an informed opinion, but it seems evident some more investment is needed to move the club on.

If they do hook up with a super league team it wont stop me going. Infact i intend to purchase my first ever season ticket now the tram from Manchester is up and running.

Edited by mackin89, 24 October 2012 - 10:49 AM.

#27 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,552 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:05 AM

we've not lost many,if any, to salford....they went to huddersfield,wigan & leeds mainly....oh an 1 to st helens :lol:

OLDHAM RLFC

#28 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,552 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:06 AM

2011 Census shows 224,900 people live in the metropolitan borough of Oldham.....and a further 219,300 in Tameside

like i said...nigh on half a million ;)

OLDHAM RLFC

#29 john in oz

john in oz
  • Players
  • 88 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:43 AM

I accept that everything I say about supporting the club is academic, as I now live 12,000 miles away from Oldham, but I'm sure that if I was still there I would rather see ORLFC playing as ORLFC in whatever division, rather than part of some SL club.
The club is OLDHAM and always should be !!!
Keep the faith !!!
Right, having got that off my chest I need a bit of a lie down.

#30 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,552 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:49 AM

thats how most,if not all, of us feel john.....im 99% sure its not going to happen anyway now thank god.

OLDHAM RLFC

#31 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,676 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:33 PM

Posted ImageThe Art of Hand and Foot, on 25 October 2012 - 04:49 PM, said:

You optimism and ambition is great, but expectations have to be realistic and achievable

About 10 times more than now!
Exactly. So in 30 years, despite the valiant efforts and cash injections from fans, owners and sponsors, how have the 200,000 burghers of Oldham demonstrated a desire for pro Rugby in Oldham?

If a rich RL mad oil sheikh were to look at where to put his money, then the potential of East Manchester, i.e. Oldham, would come close to the top.
Quite. Maybe £20 million for a stadium and then £4 million a year after that so the club could spend up to the cap. It’s not happened in 30 years and in any case, why would he prefer you to Latics? I mean, at least they have the chance of annual results based promotion.

However, I am one of those who think the Championship should look to going it alone.
Not a third code of rugby?

When we were in Super League, I was disappointed with the product.
It’s not like that now, though. Crowds up yet again, viewer numbers up again. Nowt wrong with the product

I believe that in CC1 we can get crowds of 4-5,000 again.
Again, you’ve had 30 years to increase crowds, and its just not happening, despite, as I have said the valiant efforts and cash injections from fans, owners and sponsors, Why do you think that is?

I live for the day we are back in CC1 playing the likes of Leigh, Fax, Featherstone et al
Indeed, and why not? The current RFL regime is designed to allow clubs to build in a sustainable manner. Any club can make it to SuperLeague and any club that makes it to SL now will do so safe in the knowledge that it will have done so on a solid financial foundation for the long term

Yes some existing SL clubs are having to put their houses in order and if they don’t they will have to face the consequences knowing that rising clubs from lower leagues are there to take their places, but only if they are sustainable clubs.

#32 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 561 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:51 PM

JohnM, you are, of course, correct, the basic problem is that we need that £20m for a decent stadium.

No one, least of all the local burghers of Oldham are willing to provide it.

There were plans for an upgrade of Boundary Park, called Sports Park 2000, in which Latics and the Bears(as they were then) would share a top class stadium. Very similar to Wigan, Huddersfield and many other clubs are doing today.

Funding was in place it was about to be passed by the local council, and then on the day of the vote, or so I've heard, one councillor had a change of heart. I've even heard it said that that councillor had a dream to vote against. Dunno if that's true so I will say allegedly had a dream to vote against.

So it never came off.

And the rest as they say is myth and legend!!!!

#33 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,676 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:14 PM

I need to add that in my opinion, at all levels of the game, the effort, drive and dedication of fans, players, owners, sponsors is immense. . They soldier on, sometimes in the face of insuperable odd, apathy etc and keep the game alive, contributing to the game more in a few years than I have done in 55 years. However.....

#34 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,059 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:01 PM

I would have thought that Oldham would be thriving given that they have P&R to act as a major stimulus to spectator interest.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#35 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,695 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

Cutting their nose off to spite their own face. Its a shame really.

We don't know just yet do we, there are some good championship players going to get their noses pushed out next season, maybe they will end up at sides like Oldhams and in three years time when the RFL (Will be a RFL record) change their plans again, it could be Oldham sat in the pole position.

Edited by Marauder, 25 October 2012 - 07:46 PM.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#36 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:07 PM

We don't know just yet do we, there are some good championship players going to get their noses pushed out next season...

Only the ones that are no longer good enough for the Championship. I'm okay with that.

Players will always find their natural level at some point.
Posted Image

#37 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:25 PM

Funding was in place it was about to be passed by the local council, and then on the day of the vote, or so I've heard, one councillor had a change of heart. I've even heard it said that that councillor had a dream to vote against. Dunno if that's true so I will say allegedly had a dream to vote against.

So it never came off.

So...

Everything was in place but ONE vote brought it all crashing down ?

Hmmmm.
Looks like it wer' organised by't Pennine League

#38 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,948 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:32 PM

well we'll let other clubs be the guinea pigs.....and yeah fans would walk away from the club if we become a branch of a super league club

And if they start winning games then they will be replaced by those that turn up to watch a winning team.

Are you one of those that would sooner see Rugby League die altogether than give a little to see it survive.

There's a lot of suicide bombers in the RL world, I'll die killing my club.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#39 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,779 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:42 AM

JohnM, you are, of course, correct, the basic problem is that we need that £20m for a decent stadium.

No one, least of all the local burghers of Oldham are willing to provide it.

There were plans for an upgrade of Boundary Park, called Sports Park 2000, in which Latics and the Bears(as they were then) would share a top class stadium. Very similar to Wigan, Huddersfield and many other clubs are doing today.

So it never came off.

I think the stadium point is spot on. Unfortunately in this day and age it isnt cheap to buy a plot of land. Secondly you cant just put simple wooden tracks and cinders round a pitch and build a 20k rugby ground. However you can use cheap temporary stands like Quins RU did

Why are Oldham not allowed to use Boundary Park? I thought this was why they moved out of Watersheddins?

Can Oldhams new ground be developed to >10k? If not then they need a new location

The loss of Oldham as a powerhouse will slowly turn off one of the best conveyor belts of talent. It is a big town with bags of potential - and totally distinct from Manchester as Leigh and Wigan are. Listen their accent for starters....,

#40 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,893 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:50 AM

I think the stadium point is spot on. The loss of Oldham as a powerhouse will slowly turn off one of the best conveyor belts of talent. It is a big town with bags of potential.

"Best conveyor belts of talent"????

There's couple of cracking amateur clubs in the area and a few SL players do come from Oldham.

"Bags of potential"????

They were formed in 1876 they've had 146 years to realise this potential and they have 500 fans and play in CC1. Bit like Skolars or Hemel who also produce talent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users