The pros and cons of club link ups

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

Will put my awards on the table anytime against his and yours and money on it if you like

I don't indulge in willy measuring contests on the internets. Sorry.

Posted Image
People called Romans they go the house

#62 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,435 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

See what you did there.....marvellous!!

-_- :D

#63 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,035 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:50 PM

Very good post and I agree on most points. I just feel there needs to be a better balance of moving forward but still keeping your identity as a club. The main point I tried to make is that this system removes the reason you support a club, especially for the 'die hard fans.' Maybe this is the only sustainable way CC clubs can sustain in this climate and if so then it's the right choice, but I just think there way be better ways of being sustainable without coming overly reliant on an SL club and removing big parts of the tradition of clubs.

If there are way better ways of championship clubs being sustainable then I'm sure by now someone would have thought of it. Only a handful, if that of championship clubs have any realistic chance in the short term of being in with a shout of SL, the others are (like a few SL clubs) teetering on the brink.

Business A needs to cut costs to remain competitive and has under used assets, business B needs to cut costs and invest in new assets to try and become competitive. A classic case for co-operation if ever there was one.

Customers of A may not like B and vice versa, however the option may be no A, no B, or worse still no A and B. Before you know it your long loved product has gone, don't worry though the far inferior produces of a slightly similar but far inferior product with less beef and more fat will now have a free hand to market their all conquering brand to the populace.

Supporters may hate sport being described in business terms, however the club only goes mammaries skywards when the business does. The business may go belly up because the team has, but it is always the business failure that pulls a club down.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#64 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:04 PM

A brilliant paragraph there, and an excellent rider so I won't say you are wrong.

I too as someone with a club who was the first to come out and be a feeder recognise everything you say.

My dad introduced me to Hunslet and my mates introduced me to Leeds. My dad got there first so that's where the heart is. The head watched as Leeds picked off our best after the 1965 cup final - Ramsey and Kenny Eyre - then I watched as the best never turned up and went elsewhere by passing us - Heron and Schofield. We still ran as a proper pro club does - colts, "A" team and then Seniors. We still competed and occasionally became first division - we beat Leeds in 1978 WOW! what a day.

We had ambition and we achieved although our success was relative. We still had local lads who'd become heroes, some still left Jimmy Lowes and Sonny Nickle and Jamie Thackray, some stayed to became club legends like Graham King and Mick Coyle, but all this went pop in 2000 when SL shut the door.

Since then we just "survived" and it wasn't much fun. Gates dropped. Players we never got to know came and went in droves, and the club just weren't attractive to the majority type of fan who wants to see their team win as much as possible, so they either packed in or went to Leeds. New fans just went to Leeds.

Even the fans who started watching the club because they liked the lower division game and the struggle - many people don't "follow the crowd" I didn't and four mates didn't, - started to peel away until we could count a crowd in two minutes..........

2006 Hunslet.v.Barrow 311

2008 Hunslet.v.Workington 314 we came 34th. out of 34 in the Rugby Football League that year.

This all came to a head when Stephen Ball called the fans together. We all came 150 of us - I counted us. I was one of the youngest there for heavens sake. Syd Rookes at 92 was the oldest, I have pictures of Rookes in action for the club. Ball bullied people into reaching into their pockets but my heart was not in it any more. Knowing the history of the club - what made it rise, what made it strong, what made it succeed against the odds, and why it captured hearts - i didn't think losing a couple of hundred quid to Ball (whom Hetherington had sent to save us but who publicly vowed not to put a penny in the club) was something my heart was going to do.

My heart said let the flaming thing die a respectable death. My opinion that's all...........

Yes a football club is more for life than business, but there are times when your own life cycle supporting a club comes to an end and there are times when the clubs life cycle also comes to and end and that is best illustrated by my good friends at Bramley.

The link up with Leeds to me (and I was a big "A" team fan) makes Hunslet Leeds "A" team full stop. It doesn't matter what "labels" (it's still Hunslet) and slants (It's good for the game) and "advantages" (it will secure the clubs future, you'll get to see exciting players) you want to put on things on my behalf.

All that counts is as you say Mr. Barrow raiderskid with an old mans head on his shoulders "a matter of opinions rather than who's right or wrong".

I'll not fully articulate my opinion as I respect entirely what Blackpool Hawk and his colleagues are doing, and personally want to do. I'll just take the decsion Duncan Bannatyne usually takes on Dragon's Den when his heart isn't in a proposal.

Great post Parksider and I agree with everything apart from that "it makes us Leeds A team full stop" How do you come to this conclusion? And what are you basing this comment on?

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#65 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,991 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:12 AM

Great post Parksider and I agree with everything apart from that "it makes us Leeds A team full stop" How do you come to this conclusion? And what are you basing this comment on?

Our "A" team in it's glory days contained people to just sustain it as a team. Alan Preece played as player coach, and such as Freddy Cliff and Dave Mawson played regularly and these lads played for quite a time and never saw the first team.

That gave the framework for the basis of the team where the up and coming kids who could get into the sfirst team in time, if they had a longish run at open age one step down where they could ply their trade against people like Preece, Cliff and Mawson in other teams who were always going to "toughen you up".

These lads either made it or they didn't, from that team at the time a lad called Geoff Nicholls made it and he knocked Dave Marshall out of the side. Geoff was such an exciting player that eventually he was bought by Barrow - c'est la vie.

But other kids like Phil Sanderson Steve Barron, Steve Hudson, George Clark came through and we cheered them on to relatively minor achievements but all Hunslet lads and all memorable, even today I can see the tries they scored and the hard time Steve Barron gave his oppo's.

In my opinion we are being set up to work as Leeds "A" team. Our players don't matter, they are the vehicle for Leeds players to shine and succeed. Phil Sanderson was a great player, he eventually went to Leeds (and later Bradford where he and Grayshon led the walk off at HKR) but we cheered him on for several seasons as our player, and he only went when Parkside closed.

It's one thing losing some of your best players in time, it's another thing you being set up to automatically lose all of them who make the grade as soon as they make it. Whilst I know a player that doesn't make it at Leeds may sign on at Hunslet, I look back at such players and find few fond memories of them, perhaps only Bryan Murrell.

But as i say don't mind me, the way things are going may be good for the game and more people may enjoy the new set up so it can be a positive thing. Just not for me.

Edited by The Parksider, 26 October 2012 - 08:18 AM.

#66 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,435 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:25 AM

The thing that baffles me, and I am clearly looking at this in a basic way, but how are clubs losing their identity? Swinton will still be Swinton. They will play at their current ground, be called Swinton, wear a Swinton kit and so on.

The Dual registration thing was here last year, some like it some don;t fine, but what has suddenly made things much worse? If Swinton now have access to some of Warrington's facilities, or maybe access to some of the backroom staff, then, again, I ask what is the issue?

People often talk about RL being on the pitch, not the backroom stuff, but as soon as clubs do something that may help them to cust costs then suddenly they want to focus on off-field stuff.

Surely a person from Swinton could still go and watch Swinton as they always have, with little impact. If Swinton now have less chance of going bust due to cost cutting, then is that a bad thing?

#67 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:16 PM

The thing that baffles me, and I am clearly looking at this in a basic way, but how are clubs losing their identity? Swinton will still be Swinton. They will play at their current ground, be called Swinton, wear a Swinton kit and so on.

The Dual registration thing was here last year, some like it some don;t fine, but what has suddenly made things much worse? If Swinton now have access to some of Warrington's facilities, or maybe access to some of the backroom staff, then, again, I ask what is the issue?

People often talk about RL being on the pitch, not the backroom stuff, but as soon as clubs do something that may help them to cust costs then suddenly they want to focus on off-field stuff.

Surely a person from Swinton could still go and watch Swinton as they always have, with little impact. If Swinton now have less chance of going bust due to cost cutting, then is that a bad thing?

Way too much common sense in there.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#68 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,991 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:59 PM

The thing that baffles me, and I am clearly looking at this in a basic way, but how are clubs losing their identity?

Primarily they lose their independence.

Once reliant on a supposed competitive rival they become "dependent".

So they cannot function independently and are beholden to the benefactor.

They become reliant on the benefactor.

They may want to one day be top dogs, but that's not even a dream when you are only standing because someone is propping you up and if you get shirty that prop can be kicked from under you.

Take it further. Leeds provide 17 of the Hunslet team rather than 6. They play on the Hunslet ground, they play in Hunslet shirts, they are called Hunslet..........

Do you really think I'd sit there and cheer?

#69 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,991 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:02 PM

Way too much common sense in there.

I disagree.

Are small clubs supposed to be thankful that the big clubs prop them up taking into account the big clubs would let them die if there wasn't something in it for them?

By all means you can be personally happy such assistance may preserve the Hornets, but don't patronise me that it's common sense.

#70 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,035 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:04 PM

Primarily they lose their independence.

Once reliant on a supposed competitive rival they become "dependent".

So they cannot function independently and are beholden to the benefactor.

They become reliant on the benefactor.

They may want to one day be top dogs, but that's not even a dream when you are only standing because someone is propping you up and if you get shirty that prop can be kicked from under you.

Take it further. Leeds provide 17 of the Hunslet team rather than 6. They play on the Hunslet ground, they play in Hunslet shirts, they are called Hunslet..........

The alternative is you have nobody to cheer, oddly enough some see that as a better option.

why would an SL club want to supply everything though, instead of spreading the cost they would just be taking on more costs, it wouldn't make financial sense to go all the way to your extreme.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#71 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,435 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:05 PM

but thats a situation that you have made up rather than the reality.

#72 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,991 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:25 AM

but thats a situation that you have made up rather than the reality.

It's an extension of the proposed situation. The point has been regularly made, and it's one I agree with that fans are fans and go to games because the fancy takes them. Many things drive that fancy many things "turn them off".

Some fans come and go back, some fans leave and don't go back, some fans only leave by being carried away in a box. They all feel different ways about their clubs and their clubs situation.

I just don't think that if a club becomes beholden to another and a fan doesn't like that, you cant essentially say to the fan "well you should like that, I don't see anything wrong with it".........

#73 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,991 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:45 AM

1. The alternative is you have nobody to cheer,

2. Oddly enough some see that as a better option.

3. Why would an SL club want to supply everything though, instead of spreading the cost they would just be taking on more costs, it wouldn't make financial sense to go all the way to your extreme.

1. That's not true though. I look at Rugby League as a great bit of entertainment, and supporting a particular club is a great way to intensify that entertainment. There are several other spectator sports available and sport is but one pastime when you add music, film, theatre, various hobbies etc etc etc. I see people supposedly "passionate" about their club but if the club falls from grace then thousands of fans fall away.

When they stop turning up anymore like the 3,500 Oldham fans they don't end up sitting at home because they don't go to Oldham RLFC any more. Some get in the car and go to the JJB :D

2. As above RL isn't the only option in life. I don't go to Hunslet much at all nowadays, but I do go to around thirty fantastic live Rugby League games a season. I always end up cheering one or the other teams on.

3. I'm not suggesting that Leeds would go the whole hog, I'm just extending the principle of the dual registration thing. If Leeds had no dealings with Hunslet and Hunslet were independent fans may be happy with that. If Hunslet loaned the odd player the odd fan may be unhappy aboout that. If Leeds ran the whole of the Hunslet side dressing their own players up in Hunslet shirts and calling them Hunslet and bussing them down to South Leeds stadium in time for kick off then most fans may not like that.

The point at which this sort of thing turns a fan off is personal. Therefore I'm not in agreement with people suggesting other people should like what they see, I'm in agreement with accepting and understanding peoples feelings and consequent actions when it comes to them deciding something like this is not for them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users