Photo
- - - - -

Knights captain hungry for success

EnglandRL media release

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:48 PM

England Knights captain Danny Houghton is confident his side can win their first ever trophy, the Alitalia Europpean Cup, by defeating Scotland in Edinburgh this Sunday (2.00pm).

The Knights opened their campaign with an impressive 56-4 victory over Ireland last Saturday and with prospective silverware just one win away, the Hull FC hooker is keen to keep the team’s momentum going.

“I think we put in a good performance against Ireland,” said Houghton. “They had improved a lot since we played them earlier this season and gave us a lot to do in the first half. They threw a lot at us but we dug in and we got a good result and I think it was one of the best team performances that the Knights have had. We knew they were going to come out hard as they had nothing to lose but we knew if we stuck to our game-plan we’d do well."

"It all came good in the end and it was a very proud moment for me both to be named as captain and to lead the boys to the win. We’re all in confident spirits and we have a trophy to play for this weekend. We all want to win. We’re going up to Scotland in a determined mood and we’re keen to get the job done.”

With the Rugby League World Cup coming to home shores in 2013 the Knights players will be hoping to catch the eye of senior England coach Steve McNamara and Houghton says he has been impressed by the talent he’s seen in the Knights’ ranks.

“It’s a very exciting group and we’re all very close and all get on and I think that shows on the field as well,” he said. “Every player in this group is ambitious and is looking to step up to the elite level and this experience is great for us all.

"Just being in the England environment and getting to know the other players from other clubs and getting used to the England culture will hopefully stand us in good stead ahead of the World Cup next season.

“Obviously we all want to put in a big performance this week and carry that on into our club form next season and put ourselves in the best position to push for a senior squad place.”

England Knights continue their Alitalia European Cup campaign against Scotland at Meggetland Stadium, Edinburgh, on Sunday October 28 (2.00pm).
-ends-

Nathan Clarke
England Knights Media Manager

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#2 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,081 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:55 PM

The guy should be in the full England team. Great player.
Posted Image

#3 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:19 PM

With the players which have pulled out of the first team, I think the knights wouldn't be far off beating england.

#4 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:46 PM

The knights are as good as the 1st team n would definitely beat France n Wales
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!