• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,749 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:03 AM

BULLS COME TO WEST BOWLING’S AID

Bradford Bulls have come to the aid of local Amateur Rugby League Club, West Bowling by offering their facilities on Gameday for the beleaguered Club.
West Bowling were forced to leave their headquarters at Bankfoot Cricket Club, which left them without Dressing Rooms or Clubhouse facilities and the situation could have spelt the end for the well established Amateur Club. West Bowling will now be able to use the Changing Rooms at Odsal Stadium as well as the Coral Stand for their after match hospitality and club functions.
Bulls Football and Media Manager Stuart Duffy said:
“Our Commercial Director Simon Kenny was approached by West Bowling ARLFC regarding their situation and he quickly made an appointment to see them. They outlined the seriousness of their situation and a decision was taken there and then to make our facilities available to them.
Commercial Director Simon Kenny said:
“The decision to support West Bowling was based upon Omar Khan’s desire and vision to bring the Bradford Bulls back into the heart of the Community, with a strong focus on Community Groups and Youth Development within the district. This we believe shows our ongoing commitment towards the regeneration of Bradford through our Community Partnerships.
West Bowling is one of the great amateur clubs in the City and it’s vitally important that it retains its status within Rugby League. The hard working volunteers who run the club have fostered and nurtured the local children for many years and have seen them go on to play an integral part in the sport, whether professionally or in the amateur game and we could not stand by and see them at risk of folding.
They have provided many players to the professional game over the years and our current players Elliott Whitehead and Nathan Conroy and Kyle Moore, who both play for the Bulls Academy, are all products of the West Bowling Club”
Omar Khan said:
“West Bowling are a massive part of amateur rugby league in the city and this is a great opportunity to help safeguard their future.
“Clubs such as West Bowling can provide the next generation of Bradford Bulls stars.”
Bowling junior chairman Martin Tordoff said:
There was a real danger the club could have folded without the Bulls assistance and it’s a massive opportunity which we could not afford to miss because we don’t know where it might lead.
The Bulls have got an additional set of changing rooms near to the ticket office and car park. Our under-7s to 11s are using those changing room and walk across the car park to the playing field. The rest of the junior teams are using Emsleys Rec on Manchester Road, but we all travel back to the Coral Stand for the after-match presentations and food.
“I would also like to say thank you to Clayton ARLFC who have helped us out massively in keeping our teams together in the interim of going to the Bulls. Without Dave Picknall’s help I’m sure we would have lost some teams already.
“We're very grateful also to the Bulls and how they have opened themselves up to the community since Omar Khan took over and are looking forward to the future together.
“A lot of our players have been on the academy books at the Bulls, such Nathan Conroy and Kyle Moore and we had six of our under 17s there and two who have just been selected for the BARLA Great Britain team in Luke Robinson and Josh Hattle.
“Then you have the likes of Stuart Reardon and Elliott Whitehead who all played for Bowling.”
Bulls coach Francis Cummins said: “This is a massive gesture from the club to help safeguard West Bowling’s future. It will give them the stability to kick on now and provides an opportunity in invest in a lot of young people in the city.”

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,290 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

This thread won't run long, good news story about the Bulls, its got no chance.

Well done to the new management.*

*Cue, "what have the Bulls ever done for us" replies.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#3 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,362 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:58 PM

Yet another example of Sooper Dooper League pulling up the ladder and sod the rest.

#4 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:09 PM

BOOOOOOOOOO!
Posted Image

#5 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:01 PM

Good move by the bulls. Mr Khan seems to be getting the idea, hopefully more smart decisions follow.

#6 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,362 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:11 PM

Good move by the bulls. Mr Khan seems to be getting the idea, hopefully more smart decisions follow.

What idea is this? Making money (which you are dead set against) or helping out grassroots RL (which SL clubs don't care about)?

#7 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,833 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:53 AM

kudos to the Bulls. I have been very critical of various things to do with the former Bulls club but this a good, altruistic thing for them to do for the greater good of the game in general and West Bowling club in particular..

As a matter of interest, what went wrong for West Bowling at Banfoot cricket club.?

#8 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:01 AM

A very good gesture by the Bulls,but surely not a long term solution.As I've said before,somehow the better amateur teams must provide far better facilities,for players/supporters,if they are to prosper.Anyone know of any Clubs improving their facilities/grounds via Lottery funding,grants etc?

#9 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,237 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:18 AM

As a matter of interest, what went wrong for West Bowling at Banfoot cricket club.?

I got that wrong.

Had been seeing reports of Arson 'wiping out' a local RL club - put two and two together and came up with the wrong answer.

Sorry.

It was East Leeds, by the way.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-leeds-19993232

Edited by MrPosh, 25 October 2012 - 08:54 AM.

People called Romans they go the house

#10 thepimp007

thepimp007
  • Coach
  • 475 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:21 AM

Victims of arson, I think.

As far as im aware they always had a strained relationship with the cricket club, the reason they didnt move to summer was due to the cricket team having games. There definitely wasnt a fire though

#11 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,290 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:27 PM

A very good gesture by the Bulls,but surely not a long term solution.As I've said before,somehow the better amateur teams must provide far better facilities,for players/supporters,if they are to prosper.Anyone know of any Clubs improving their facilities/grounds via Lottery funding,grants etc?

St Judes have recently had new changing facilities and have just opened an all weather training pitch.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#12 Womer

Womer
  • Players
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:24 PM

They used to use The Hare And Hounds pub on Wibsey Bank as a base, but thats closed, and also the Bowling Hotel on Mill Lane which had shower facilities, and I think thats gone too.

I also don't think the bar takings at the cricket club were all that good either.

Bowling took over the old Hockey club side of the ground a few years ago, but to move to Odsal is only about 300 yards away from where they were.

They'll play on Emsleys Rec (which was used by their "A" team) and by the first team before the move, by the big cross roads on Manchester Road over the road from the Craven Heffier pub

#13 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:29 PM

What idea is this? Making money (which you are dead set against) or helping out grassroots RL (which SL clubs don't care about)?

Nope my point is making money without removing the reasons why you support a club. The fact the club is specific to your community and helps the youth and ameteur players of that region is a reason why you support a club, which Bradford seem to be doing well at and trying to improve. So your point is irrelevant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users