Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

2013 home and away kit

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,131 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:31 PM

Any date for release as I see Worky have released theirs today

Lee

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#2 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:33 AM

Quite like the Town home kit, reminds me of a Feverstone shirt.
Hopefuly we'll have a traditional home shirt and something different for the away shirt. Wouldnt mind a black away shirt with either a white or blue V.

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#3 Flaming balls

Flaming balls
  • Coach
  • 510 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:54 AM

The Town kit is very nice. I'd like to see the Barrow kit (H) being Blue with 1 White V on the front and reverse for the (A)

I personally think the kit makers we have at the moment are rubbish and of poor quality, does anyone know when this deal runs out? O'Neill seem to be making the better kits at the moment.

#4 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:15 AM

Unfortunately, according to sources close to the club the new home kit does not have a white V.
I think we should stick with blue shirt with white V.......................tradition should not be tampered with too much !!!!!!
I liked the 2009-10 kit.
Love the new Town kit ! Class !!!

Edited by Baaarrow, 25 October 2012 - 09:17 AM.

Posted Image

#5 STW

STW
  • Coach
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:15 AM

Unfortunately, according to sources close to the club the new home kit does not have a white V.
I think we should stick with blue shirt with white V.......................tradition should not be tampered with too much !!!!!!
I liked the 2009-10 kit.

I agree. the new Town kit looks pretty good. Not exactly the traditional Workington White shirt & Blue V though is it ?. Sticking with the traditional club colours is more important than the design of a shirt in my opinion, in our case with or without a White V. People will be calling for the town crest to be put back on the shirts next :rolleyes:

Edited by STW, 25 October 2012 - 10:18 AM.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it!

Steve W

#6 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:10 AM

Traditionalism is the way to go IMO. Imagine a St.Helens home kit that was other than white with a red V - just wouldnt be right. I liked the championship winning shirt we had in 09/10, it had everything - traditional yet modern at the same time. Away shirts are for tampering with and trying dfferent things, not home ones. Look at Warrington for example with the vast array of away shirt combinations they've had in recent years - Red/Green oops 2010, Black with Yellow V 2011 and red/black hoops in 2012.

#7 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,131 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:14 AM

Agreed O'Neils quality is far and away better than our current kit suppliers

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#8 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:20 AM

No chance we could get ISC like the SL teams?

#9 mjc

mjc
  • Coach
  • 292 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:34 PM

Last seasons home shirt was ok ish but would like too see traditional shirt tho 2 be honest ! last seasons away shirt was awful but that only my opinion .

#10 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:19 AM

Personally id like the club to release just one kit a year - home shirt one year, away shirt the next and so on. Ive said this for all sporting clubs, its too much to ask people to for out £90 a year for shirts. Majority of fans i know dont buy an away shirt, and simply stick with the home one. think The club could maximise profits if they alternated the releasing of shirts as people would buy whichever shirt was release that year.

#11 Flaming balls

Flaming balls
  • Coach
  • 510 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:19 AM

I see Hunslet have given there fans a chance to vote on which home shirt they want.

#12 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:53 AM

Again, great idea, Widnes started this off last week, although i presume that one will be home th other away.

#13 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:10 AM

Last seasons home shirt was ok ish but would like too see traditional shirt tho 2 be honest ! last seasons away shirt was awful but that only my opinion .

Last season's away kit was hideous !!!!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#14 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:11 AM

Personally id like the club to release just one kit a year - home shirt one year, away shirt the next and so on. Ive said this for all sporting clubs, its too much to ask people to for out £90 a year for shirts. Majority of fans i know dont buy an away shirt, and simply stick with the home one. think The club could maximise profits if they alternated the releasing of shirts as people would buy whichever shirt was release that year.

You don't have to buy one every year !
I just stick to my favourite ones i.e. the 2009-10 one and and old cotton one I've got from around 2004 I think !

Posted Image

#15 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:46 AM

You don't have to buy one every year !

No, admittedly, but its a good source of inome for the club if supporters buy replica shirts. Why do you think clubs are getting shirts out now in time for xmas? Money, simple as, cause they know people will buy them as xmas presents. Im just saying that by releasing one kit a year would help ease financial burden, especially for families with children who undoubtedly want both home and away shirts.

#16 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:51 AM

The new shirts aren't out yet because the club are still searching for sponsors.

Posted Image

#17 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:36 AM

I liked the 2009-10 kit.

There is a poupular urban myth among Barrow fans that the club's tradition kit is blue with a white V.
This is not the case at all and the club (after starting out in red and back hoops back in the 1870s) have had literally dozens of different kit designs (and colours).
Only since the 1920s/1930s did the club settle on blue and white as the colours of choice but they have been many varied designs (and occasionally a shift in the colours!) down the years.
I haven't done a scientific assessment but I would say that throughout our history blue with a white V has been the main kit design for maybe 15% of the time.
Personally it is my favourite but there is certainly nothing traditional about it.

Out of interest (and I may have posted this before) Barrow AFC wore shirts of blue with a white V long before the rugby did! We first wore them in October 1954 (79 years after the formation of Barrow RFC) for the Lancashire Cup final against Oldham.

Edited by Keith Nutter, 26 October 2012 - 11:36 AM.

Posted Image

#18 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:34 PM

I started watching Barrow in 1978. The blue with white V has always been my favorite !

Posted Image

#19 alba

alba
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:05 PM

Priorities, I don't mind if they play in string vests, as long as they stay out of the relegation zone, and we get together the funds needed for the new floodlights.

#20 red box

red box
  • Coach
  • 319 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:34 PM

There is a difference between original and traditional and I would suggest that for those aged 40years plus blue with a white "v" is our traditional pattern.
I can recollect one of the last television broadcasts in the time before Super League when the commentators remarked on how pleasing it was to see Barrow in a tradtional shirt rather than one of the new fangled patterned ones.
I think there is room(and a market) for both. A replica traditional shirt for those who prefer it (works with some soccer clubs) and a replica of the present playing kit for those who would rather have that preference.
A rhetorical question for you
From my observations I would say a considerable number of the replica shirts are worn by females and younger men. If you are looking to hit that market, and indeed increase it, should the decision on the design be made by blokes who you wouldn't necessarily pick to choose any other item of clothing for you? They may have an eye for a good full-back but that doesn't mean they have an eye for fashion.
Get the ladies and youngsters involved and ignore us old f*rts, we don't know what the youngsters of today want as regards clothing and modern trends.

Edited by red box, 26 October 2012 - 01:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users