Pre-season friendlies

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:46 PM

Is anyone looking forward to these? I can say I'm looking forward especially to boxing day. :rolleyes:
"Are you tryin' to mug me off in front of my pals?"

#2 Rammo23

Rammo23
  • Coach
  • 200 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:44 AM

They are a must, if only for the players to get some match fitness back and the coaching staff to see how things are going game plan wise and in a proper game situation with more intense pressure and less time to make decisions, learn more from these games than any amount of unopposed training sessions

#3 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:27 PM

Yes and no. They're friendlies at the end of the day and, nowadays, pretty meaningless (Hospital Cup games seemed to have just a little more edge to them.)

Offer a starving man a crust and he'll be grateful but he'd still rather have a proper meal.

I reckon many will be figuratively starving by Boxing Day, even Coolie. ;)
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#4 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:36 PM

For those of us in need of rugby 'therapy' at this time of year any game will do, friendly or conventional. I'll be there, full of enthusiasm.
Legs, Dews, Legs.

#5 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 960 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:14 PM

For my fix of rugby until Boxing Day,you can't beat going to some local games at Thornhill,Shaw Cross and Celtic are at home in the Challenge Cup on Saturday.

#6 Hugh Jarce

Hugh Jarce
  • Coach
  • 240 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:59 AM

For my fix of rugby until Boxing Day,you can't beat going to some local games at Thornhill,Shaw Cross and Celtic are at home in the Challenge Cup on Saturday.

Got to say I have enjoyed watching Shaw Cross this season, Piggy (Even though he is ex-bullfrogs) has had them playing good rugby

"Life's tough.......It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

#7 Statto

Statto
  • Players
  • 98 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:04 PM

Thornhill Trojans are at home on Saturday to Halifax Irish in the Yorkshire Cup. 2:30 kick off. There could be a number of ex-Rams on show. These could include Derrell Olpherts, Joe Naidole, Rob Kelly, Adam Hoyle, Jake Wilson, Danny Ratcliffe, Liam Morley, Shane Davies, Scott Woodcock...along with several others who have featured in the Rams Reserves team in recent seasons. Well worth a watch.

#8 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,105 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:56 PM

Got to say I have enjoyed watching Shaw Cross this season, Piggy (Even though he is ex-bullfrogs) has had them playing good rugby

I'll tell him he has an admirer in the crowd ;)

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#9 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:30 PM

Thornhill Trojans are at home on Saturday to Halifax Irish in the Yorkshire Cup. 2:30 kick off. There could be a number of ex-Rams on show. These could include Derrell Olpherts, Joe Naidole, Rob Kelly, Adam Hoyle, Jake Wilson, Danny Ratcliffe, Liam Morley, Shane Davies, Scott Woodcock...along with several others who have featured in the Rams Reserves team in recent seasons. Well worth a watch.

Still can't understand why olpherts had such a raw deal when he was with us - better and faster than aikedere IMO.

#10 Hugh Jarce

Hugh Jarce
  • Coach
  • 240 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

I'll tell him he has an admirer in the crowd ;)

Ha Ha, I'll tell him myself in the Bar!!!!

Either The Crown or Cross!!

"Life's tough.......It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

#11 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:56 PM

Still can't understand why olpherts had such a raw deal when he was with us - better and faster than aikedere IMO.

to be honest the break he made at fev only to be polaxed was awsome. i liked him.

#12 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 960 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:39 PM

Good win for the Trojans today,a lad at number six called Andrew Bates,looks a good prospect,a good famous surname he's got !!

#13 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:03 PM

Just wondering, do we have just Bradford and Batley or do we have another team as part of pre-season freindlies? Because we had Wakefield as well as Bradford and Batley couple of years ago, if my memory is right.

#14 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:48 PM

No point In having the Bradford friendly as it will merely be Bulls v Bulls ex Academy players......might as well play it at Odsal...

#15 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:29 PM

No point In having the Bradford friendly as it will merely be Bulls v Bulls ex Academy players......might as well play it at Odsal...

Good point

#16 Sir Jekyll Stocking

Sir Jekyll Stocking
  • Coach
  • 885 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:34 PM

Just wondering, do we have just Bradford and Batley or do we have another team as part of pre-season freindlies? Because we had Wakefield as well as Bradford and Batley couple of years ago, if my memory is right.

You're not old enough to have a dodgy memory, young Kelsey.
Just ask your Uncles Grumpy and Johnny.

Edited by Sir Jekyll Stocking, 29 October 2012 - 09:35 PM.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur

#17 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:08 PM

Ha ha, you are correct to be fair

#18 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 960 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:05 AM

Would be nice if we could play Hull in a friendly game,we played them a few years back,it was a very good atmosphere with a big attendance at the game.

#19 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:48 AM

Ask me what? What?

I heard that, pardon?
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#20 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:41 AM

Nothing wrong with my memory - if only I could remember where I'd left it. :wacko:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users