Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Proposed Rugby centre of excellence - Bradford

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,074 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:42 AM

Telegraph & Argus article

Grassroots sport could be given a major boost under plans to demolish most of a former school in Bradford and create a Rugby League centre of excellence.
Bradford Council is in discussions with the Rugby Football League, Sport England and The Football Foundation over the decommissioning of the former Wyke Manor School in Wilson Road, Wyke, to create the new centre.
Councillor Ralph Berry, portfolio holder for children’s services, said the proposals would help deal with the “chronic shortage” of sporting facilities in Bradford, particularly for junior teams.
He said that under the draft proposals, the school buildings would be demolished apart from the sports centre which would be used as a headquarters for the rugby centre of excellence.
The rest of the land would be used for sports pitches for grassroots and junior Rugby League and other sports.
A joint report is being prepared between the Council’s sport and leisure and children's services departments, which is expected to be presented to the Council’s Executive meeting next month.
Coun Berry said the project was at a “fairly advanced” stage, but no planning application has yet been put forward for the demolition and redevelopment.
A spokesman for the Rugby Football League said: “Preliminary talks have taken place between the RFL and Bradford Council regarding this site.
“We are always open to opportunities to improve and develop Rugby League facilities across the country as part of our commitment to providing the best possible environment for participants.”
Councillor Andrew Thornton, portfolio holder for environment, sport and sustainability, said: “There is a need for additional high-quality sports provision in the area and the opportunity that the site presents is worth pursuing.
“We have had some preliminary conversations about the site but detailed discussions with local sports teams and sporting bodies would come after the Executive has considered the issue.”
Wyke Manor became Appleton Academy in 2009 when its pupils were merged with those of High Fearnley Primary School to create a through-age school. Secondary pupils and staff will move from the Wyke Manor premises into the newly-built school after the half-term break.

I dunno if this story is a bit of fluff and nonsense at this stage but it seems like good news, and but a stone's throw from my house.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#2 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,461 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:30 AM

no planning application has yet been put forward for the demolition and redevelopment.

Planning application and Rugby League... they go together like liver and meringue.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#3 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,149 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:35 AM

The only downside to this centre appears to be that Hindle would spend all his time throwing stones at it.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#4 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,074 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

The only downside to this centre appears to be that Hindle would spend all his time throwing stones at it.

Kids today (or a year from now), they don't know they're born.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#5 Rob

Rob
  • Coach
  • 509 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

That was my school!!

How ironic, at the time I was there I only recall one, maybe two games of rugby in PE, and I think they were 'union' despite our PE teacher being a Castleford fan and request for league from a few of the boys....

#6 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,009 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:50 PM

Lets hope it gets up and running and becomes a success.

#7 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:50 PM

a multi sport centre then not a rugby league centre of excelence.
no problem if it comes off but i have my doubts if its rugby league that would become the major sport there just how long before theres more football pitches and cricket pitches than rugby league pitches there.
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#8 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,503 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:19 PM

no problem if it comes off but i have my doubts if its rugby league that would become the major sport there just how long before theres more football pitches and cricket pitches than rugby league pitches there.

From the article - "He said that under the draft proposals, the school buildings would be demolished apart from the sports centre which would be used as a headquarters for the rugby centre of excellence".

Who cares what else is there as long as it's the RL centre of excellence.

If it comes off, and in Rugby that's a big IF, then it's good news.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#9 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:37 PM

From the article - "He said that under the draft proposals, the school buildings would be demolished apart from the sports centre which would be used as a headquarters for the rugby centre of excellence".

Who cares what else is there as long as it's the RL centre of excellence.

If it comes off, and in Rugby that's a big IF, then it's good news.

so i take it no other sports would have access to the building then which i find difficult to belive as it would be the only building on site and thus would have the only changing facilities for the site

#10 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:12 PM

That's it, the positive attitude RL fans are so famous for!
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#11 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:38 PM

That's it, the positive attitude RL fans are so famous for!

i did wish it luck but tell me im wrong to have doubts given our history.

#12 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:51 AM

I hope this comes off, it'll be a huge boost for RL in this country.

Cummins Out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users