TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Drugs 'aren't just limited to cycling'

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:39 PM

EX-NRL and Super League player Adrian Vowles says it would be naive to think Australia's professional football codes are clean from performance enhancing drugs and a significant amount of rugby league players have gone through careers without being caught.

Vowles's views found support on Twitter from Bobbie Goulding, the former England halfback and Super League great, who replied: ''It's frightening what I know pal and probably you.''

I hope this is not the case :-(

Link
http://www.smh.com.a...1023-283v5.html

#2 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:55 PM

Why don't they both make known what they know.

Simples.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#3 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,645 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:04 PM

Not man enough.....so they'd rather just comment, with no further comment.

#4 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,462 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:04 PM

The RFL is, I believe, considered to be one of the better governing bodies when it comes to testing, punishment etc.

I'd be surprised if they'd come close to catching everyone though.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#5 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,527 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:09 PM

Its impossible to catch everyone who has illegal stuff in their system.
This being so, you can only do so much. And given its resources, RL doesn't seem to do that badly at catching offenders. For sure, many will slip through the net but that's inevitable.

#6 Tex Evans Thigh

Tex Evans Thigh
  • Coach
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:17 PM

groundhog post.....you cant test for growth. most of SL is probably on it. (waits for some moron to say 'put up or shut up').
Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

Posted Image
MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "
Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

#7 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,527 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:31 PM

groundhog post.....you cant test for growth. most of SL is probably on it. (waits for some moron to say 'put up or shut up').

Well exactly. The cheats are always one step ahead, even of the IOC. So its not like they can't fool the RL authorities.

#8 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,578 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:51 PM

There are cheats and dopers in all sports even darts and snooker. People can pretend it doesnt happen but sadly its out there and players in League have been caught and banned. No doubt their are others doing it and why we have tests done so often. But they cant detect the most advanced technology and often its behind those pushing technology to find better and more undetectable drugs.

#9 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:29 PM

I think players now are, on average, a bit leaner than they were in the early years of Superleague. Maybe the use of bulking-up drugs was more prevalent in the playing days of Adrian Vowles and Bobby Goulding

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#10 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 469 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:25 AM

What about Terry Newton? He tested positive for HGH, admittedly he is the only athlete to be banned for its use.
Also, in response to why dont people name and shame others - i seem to recall a story regarding Jamie Bloem, when he was banned for 2 years for steroids earl in his career, when he claimed that it was rife in the sport, he was told to shut up and keep his mouth shut for his own good.

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#11 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:54 AM

IIRC Terry Newton didn't 'test' positive for HGH. He admitted to it. Someone else will have more details, I am sure.

#12 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:11 AM

Or we could just do like the Australians and immortalise players who take illegal drugs !!!!

#13 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:26 AM

IIRC Terry Newton didn't 'test' positive for HGH. He admitted to it. Someone else will have more details, I am sure.

Not quite. He tested positive, and then admitted to taking it. His admission removed the need for the 'B' sample to be tested before the hearing

Please see here

#14 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:00 AM

Terry Newton was the first professional sportmans to have tested positive for HGH, he subsequently admitted the doping offence and received a 2-year ban.

However, it wasn't a case of him trying to get ahead of the game, he was trying to keep up with the pack. That suggests to me, particularly after reading his book, that rugby league isn't as innocent as some like to make out.

#15 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:30 AM

Or we could just do like the Australians and immortalise players who take illegal drugs !!!!

Well we did give an award to Ryan Hudson to celebrate his career, including the 2 years where he sat on the sidelines for drug offence.

#16 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:31 AM

There will always be drugs cheats. The important thing is that the governing body tries its best to make the game clean, firstly through education and comes down hard on people who are found guilty.

There isn't much else to it.

#17 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:51 AM

difference between recreational drugs and performance enhancing drugs!

but RL is among the strictest sports as regards to their testing and eventual punishment criteria, we even ban our internationals!! unlike the FA who allowed an england footballer to go missing for a few days to let the cocaine leave his system............

Edited by Viking Warrior, 26 October 2012 - 09:52 AM.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#18 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:26 AM

Isn't the RFL one of the few sports to be fully signed up to WADA's testing suite and subsequent bans?

#19 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 683 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:41 AM

Isn't the RFL one of the few sports to be fully signed up to WADA's testing suite and subsequent bans?

The subject of the thread is not that the governing body in England do not test for drugs it is that cycling is not the only sport with widespread drug use. Also RFL is only reponsible for a minority of RL players.

#20 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:06 AM

Well we did give an award to Ryan Hudson to celebrate his career, including the 2 years where he sat on the sidelines for drug offence.

I couldnt believe that myself when i first heard about it.

Edited by a.n Other, 26 October 2012 - 11:07 AM.