Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Drugs 'aren't just limited to cycling'

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:36 PM

The subject of the thread is not that the governing body in England do not test for drugs it is that cycling is not the only sport with widespread drug use. Also RFL is only reponsible for a minority of RL players.

I think it is fair to say the topic immediately evolved beyond cycling and into RL. The RFL can, quite rightly, be held in high regard as opposed to the UCI. Which minority of players are responsible for, and, who is responsible for the rest?

#22 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 666 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:55 PM

No it is not fair to say that, the origin of the topic was how widespread using banned substances was in RL The only reference to cycling was in the title of the thread. The only discussion on the level banned substance usage is related to a single national governing body or say the person mentioned in the article should say all he knows or should keep his mouth shut.

Comparison between the UCI and RFL is an unfair comparison comparing the RLIF and UCI would be a better comparison.

#23 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,141 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:21 PM

comparing the RLIF and UCI would be a better comparison.

Well, the UCI exists so they'll be ahead in any comparison ...
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#24 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 666 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:42 PM

Do the RLIF not exist?

#25 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,141 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:48 PM

Do the RLIF not exist?

Not in any meaningful sense.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#26 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 666 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:55 PM

Ah ok......, but it does exist and implements thorough testing at international tournaments and any penalties imposed are along WADA guidlelines ?

#27 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 683 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:29 PM

groundhog post.....you cant test for growth. most of SL is probably on it. (waits for some moron to say 'put up or shut up').

There is a myth between a lot of players that growth can't be detected.

#28 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,465 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:36 PM

Malcolm Alker referred to significant drug use in his book IIRC.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#29 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,126 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:14 PM

bobby goulding is jumping on every RL bandwagon at the moment, just look at his twitter page, still better to be a drug cheat than a racist eh bobby............
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#30 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:18 PM

groundhog post.....you cant test for growth. most of SL is probably on it. (waits for some moron to say 'put up or shut up').

I'm sure that most is an exaggeration, but I must say I had my suspicions regarding some players during the season. One player in particular put on an incredible amount of muscle during the season to the extent that his body shape was virtually unrecognisable from his pre-season promo pics.

#31 slowdive

slowdive
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:30 PM

I find some of the supposed outrage especially from cycling journalists just rank hypocrisy. I was made aware that drug use was endemic in cycling more than ten years and although I've always liked watching the Tour de France, that's it as far as my interest in cycling goes. If I knew, then I don't find it credible that it wasn't known to everyone involved in cycling.
Unfortunately, I think RL is one of those sports which drug use is likely to be an issue given the strength and fitness levels necessary to perform at the highest level. I have absolutely no knowledge of anything, but life being life then I would be amazed if drug use wasn't something used by a significant number of players.
It does however raise certain moral/ethical issues though. i personally haven't got any problem with an athlete being caught out using recreational drugs. Wasn't some snowboarder caught out having used marijuana? I would have thought that would be almost obligatory in that sport.
Similarly, the opprobrium heaped upon Lance Armstrong is unfair. He clearly wasn't the first or last cyclist to take drugs. It seems they were virtually all doing it, he was just the best one at it.
I suspect that there is a fine line between what is acceptable and what is not. I'm not really sure why drugs which aren't really particularly dangerous to human health should be banned because they enable athletes to improve performance.
"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

#32 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,898 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:09 PM

One player in particular put on an incredible amount of muscle during the season to the extent that his body shape was virtually unrecognisable from his pre-season promo pics.

If they're only suspicions then why not name the player and let us judge?

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#33 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 683 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

bobby goulding is jumping on every RL bandwagon at the moment, just look at his twitter page, still better to be a drug cheat than a racist eh bobby............

You dont take to him on your trust in widnes site either? Strong allegation that is

#34 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:18 PM

If they're only suspicions then why not name the player and let us judge?

It isn't right to single out a potentially innocent player - if others haven't noticed the same thing or he's been tested appropriately and isn't using, then it's my mistake and I wouldn't want to slander on that basis.

Edited by giwildgo, 26 October 2012 - 11:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users