Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

R.L World Cup on BBC Breakfast

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 roughyed8

roughyed8
  • Coach
  • 132 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:29 AM

The R.L World Cup along with Steve McNamara and Iestyn Harris being interviwed a bout tomrrows game and one year to World cup kick off.

#2 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:46 AM

Just switched on and what a surprise. Nice to see the sport gain this type of exposure.

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#3 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:53 AM

The move to Manchester is benefitting us.
The BBC do struggle to get high quality guests in the Salford studio and the whole programme is much more north oriented.
The worry is there are rumours that the move hasn't worked and they may either move back to London or change the format to just news in the morning with a magazine type show in the early evening.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#4 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,167 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:57 AM

It would be a real boost if it was announced that the BBC and Sky would be broadcasting the World Cup next year. It'd be brilliant to see every game broadcast live as we did in 2008.

#5 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:18 PM

The worry is there are rumours that the move hasn't worked and they may either move back to London or change the format to just news in the morning with a magazine type show in the early evening.

Many of the staff refused to move and those that did had to be bribed; train fares to London at the weekend, school fees for the kids etc.
I hope this is just sour grapes and it doesn't happen. It will cost a small fortune to reverse.
Anyway delighted it gives rugby more exposure.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#6 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:37 PM

I'm not sure it's quite having to "bribe" staff. It's common practice to offer staff a relocation package. The savings will be realized over a number of years. They will start recruiting people from the north as presenters and not simply people who either came form the south, or had to move south to get into these type of jobs. It'll be many years before we can tell whether the move has made the financial savings and cultural changes that it needs to make to be classed as a success.

The move to Salford clearly suits a sport like ours, where our people are genuine, open and accessible. However the much improved promotion of the World Cup, coupled with the fact this year's internationals are on the BBC will have had a big factor in the coverage today.

The promotion of the World Cup to date has been like nothing we've seen before. Can't believe it's still a year away. Remember watching the World Cup being launched two years ago, with Sam Tomkins and (I think) Lloyd White kicking a ball into Salford Quays to set off a firework display.

#7 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 697 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:45 PM

The move to Salford clearly suits a sport like ours, where our people are genuine, open and accessible. However the much improved promotion of the World Cup, coupled with the fact this year's internationals are on the BBC will have had a big factor in the coverage today.

It also helps that BBC Sport is now based at Media City.
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#8 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,947 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:50 PM

One thing we have in our favour is a wonderful World Cup. Just seeing it will attract positive attention. The decision to give the trophy greater visibility is inspired.

#9 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:54 PM

Not forgetting that the RFL/RLWC13 has an office and a presence at Media City too. Ive not experienced anything like the promotion and build up to this before, think it will only get better as we edge closer. Its going to be brilliant!

#10 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:02 PM

Not forgetting that the RFL/RLWC13 has an office and a presence at Media City too. Ive not experienced anything like the promotion and build up to this before, think it will only get better as we edge closer. Its going to be brilliant!

Stop being so positive, it's not allowed.

(I agree with you though - wasn't even this excited before the last world cup, and that involved a 6 week trip to Australia with the wife and kids, and was just brilliant).

#11 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:06 PM

Many of the staff refused to move and those that did had to be bribed; train fares to London at the weekend, school fees for the kids etc.
I hope this is just sour grapes and it doesn't happen. It will cost a small fortune to reverse.

This is possibly AOB but this aspect of it has really pee'd me off about the BBC. Thousands of people in my industry (and many others too) have had their factories closed and given the option to relocate. But the choice was 'like it or lump it'. I don't see what's so special about BBC staff. And how can they afford to pay kids school fees? I thought belts were being tightened.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#12 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,010 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:36 PM

You'd think they'd be grateful that they can sell there 2-bed mortgaged flat in west London and buy a five-bed detached with gardens outright in Didsbury, and get the legal fees paid.

I expect for every high-profile whinger, there are more than a handful of BBC staff that appreciate the (probable) higher standard of living and disposable income that they have in Manchester.

Edited by Jonty, 26 October 2012 - 03:37 PM.

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#13 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:27 PM

Good news on the World Cup:

By the end of normal office hours on the first day of sales 50,000 tickets had been sold with the biggest interest in the ‘big three’ games: the opening double-header, the sem-finals and the Rugby League World Cup Final.

#14 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,167 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:20 PM

Good news on the World Cup:

By the end of normal office hours on the first day of sales 50,000 tickets had been sold with the biggest interest in the ‘big three’ games: the opening double-header, the sem-finals and the Rugby League World Cup Final.

wow! That is staggering! I hope there is no spin in this (15k of them being sponsors packages or pwt) but it appears to be great news.

#15 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:31 PM

I now await CM to say its 25,000

#16 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:34 PM

I now await CM to say its 25,000

and the customary dog wearing a flat cap! :D

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#17 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,844 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:53 PM

Just got my wales vs cookies ticket for neath, love how its going so far!
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#18 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,779 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:25 PM

I recall a certain sports reporter/journalist for the BBC who refused to move up north.

#19 manofthematch

manofthematch
  • Coach
  • 191 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:10 PM

You'd think they'd be grateful that they can sell there 2-bed mortgaged flat in west London and buy a five-bed detached with gardens outright in Didsbury, and get the legal fees paid.

I expect for every high-profile whinger, there are more than a handful of BBC staff that appreciate the (probable) higher standard of living and disposable income that they have in Manchester.

Exactly! <_<

#20 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,950 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:01 PM

The threats to move back south are seriously hollow, the beeb can't afford it. I suspect its just an attempt to threaten the northerners into taking a cut in wages and conditions. They'll have a problem though, we're a bit more bolshie up north.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users