Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

2013Season.

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 frank

frank
  • Coach
  • 758 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:19 AM

Now that we have a full squad aboard for the coming season, how do we look in comparison to the 2012 season. What's you views on the season ahead?Just hoping we have more depth and a bit more punch.

#2 marko9

marko9
  • Coach
  • 180 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:40 AM

The squad looks to have a lot more punch,all the new players that have come are to improve certain areas that we needed to improve on,should be a great 2013

#3 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:25 AM

Well I said a few months ago that next year will be the interesting one. JK has now had 12 months when he has seen what the players he had this year are capable of and also what the other teams in the division were about. He has now made his judgement and would appear to have secured those players he believes will strengthen us thoughout the team. So, hopefully, those matches that we lost last year will maybe bring us some points as well as continuing to win the ones where we took maximum points this year. If this occurs then we could be pushing for a top four spot. But, and it's a big but, there will be 13 other teams equally determined to do well, so we can only wait and see.

#4 bulldogs17

bulldogs17
  • Coach
  • 139 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:14 AM

Full Back/Wing - Greenwood looks a quality addition at FB, we look well covered in this area.

Centres - Faal and walton will give us real firepower and Maun is more than adequate backup, overall improvement from last year.

Half Backs - Moore and Black already settled. If they stay fit we can achieve great things. Backup is a bit of a mystery as to how good Hemmingway and Whitmore are?

Props - Probably the only area we look weaker in. Depends on how much we see of the Beast and Fleming but a fully fit Rowe could be a real threat.

Hooker - George and Mennell can give us speed around the ruck. Mennell was a real un sung hero for us last year! Just hope George can cut out the silly penalties.

Second Row. Good depth, interested to see what Davies is like as I've only heard good things about him.

Loose - Ash and Applegarth are both dangerous at this level as we saw last year.

Overall strong looks to have more depth this season and we've brought quality in. Would like to see Green come back on dual reg again but that'll depend on how Hull KR see him fitting in. Bring on 2013!!

#5 frank

frank
  • Coach
  • 758 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:37 AM

Thanks Bulldog, for the time and effort in giving an up to date account of the team, for the coming season.

Let's hope JK has chosen wisely.

He came up with a pretty good outfit last season,only Sheffield getting the best of us each time we met.

Looking forward to the coming season which isn't too far away.

#6 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 662 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:15 AM

I agree Mennell was fantastic for us last year. And the squad is looking good on the whole.

and to add to bulldogs17's post. We have JC and Potts on the wing don't forget. There won't be many clubs that will match them for speed.

Looking forward to boxing day

#7 ernieone

ernieone
  • Coach
  • 2,480 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:49 PM

Have we enough power in the engine room ie the front row and enough sparks at half back? I am not convinced yet but wiil be more than happy to be proved wrong. Would still expect a top six spot

"Batley Bulldogs, Championship final 2013" 

"The Great Escape 2014"

2015 ?

1950s Gallant Youth, 2000 Bulldog

#8 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,032 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:10 AM

i think you're looking strong for this season,
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#9 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 662 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:04 PM

I think we're a lot stronger than this time last year

#10 Batley Bob

Batley Bob
  • Coach
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:17 PM

I think we're a lot stronger than this time last year

At this time last year , we hadnt yet taken Alex on Trial , so our props then was frodsham , potter , smith , menzies n hurst ( who no one rated at that time ) , so I actually do think we are stronger in the props now than 12 months ago , plus the rest of the squad has got a depth to it , which was missing last year , but thats only my opinion

Edited by Batley Bob, 30 October 2012 - 05:18 PM.

#11 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,457 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:24 PM

Top six should be a bare minimum for your squad this year given your achievements over the last couple of years and the fact that the squad seems to be stronger this year. One measure will be how much other clubs have strengthened and, to be honest, I don't think most of them have done more than marked time. Results will prove me wrong, no doubt.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#12 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:11 PM

Top 5 will be the same as last year IMO don't know what order though. The 6th spot will be the interesting one.I will stick my neck out and say you guys will be in the top 3 next season with us and Leigh I think but knowing my luck this season I will be totally wrong😃

#13 kieran

kieran
  • Coach
  • 203 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:57 PM

No cumbrian teams there?:) i reckon one will finish top 6, and the other 2 to struggle... either town or barrow to go well

#14 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

No cumbrian teams there?:) i reckon one will finish top 6, and the other 2 to struggle... either town or barrow to go well

One might take the sixth spot but I very much doubt one will break into the top 5 as I think the top 5 is probably the strongest 5 our league as ever seen and our league gets stronger year on year it will be too hard for a Cumbrian side or anyone else to topple the famous 5 IMO

#15 kieran

kieran
  • Coach
  • 203 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:40 PM

You have a point thundergaz its a bloody big step up from championship 1 too the championship...but its rugby league, anything can happen :) :D

#16 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,767 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:58 PM

You have a point thundergaz its a bloody big step up from championship 1 too the championship...but its rugby league, anything can happen :) :D

Another Des Johnston may come along ...... <_< :(
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#17 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,457 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:39 PM

One might take the sixth spot but I very much doubt one will break into the top 5 as I think the top 5 is probably the strongest 5 our league as ever seen and our league gets stronger year on year it will be too hard for a Cumbrian side or anyone else to topple the famous 5 IMO

Do you think so? I reckon the "top" sides haven't recruited in the same way that they have in the last couple of years - the money's tight and the players aren't available. Decent imports from Oz/NZ won't be available at all and a number of British lads will be tempted to try their luck over there, even in the lower leagues, as the financial prospects must be really tempting. SL will also be significantly weakened this year and any players in the CC who look half-decent will be snapped up.

I believe that overall playing standards in RL are set to slump for a year or so.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#18 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

Do you think so? I reckon the "top" sides haven't recruited in the same way that they have in the last couple of years - the money's tight and the players aren't available. Decent imports from Oz/NZ won't be available at all and a number of British lads will be tempted to try their luck over there, even in the lower leagues, as the financial prospects must be really tempting. SL will also be significantly weakened this year and any players in the CC who look half-decent will be snapped up.

I believe that overall playing standards in RL are set to slump for a year or so.

You could be right BSJ but I think come the start of the season we will be stronger than we were this season.I also think Leigh batley and the eagles will be stronger too.So that's why I think the top 5 will put another gulf between the lower part of our league I can honestly see their being 10 points between 5th and 6th place next season at least 10 points IMO. The top clubs are pulling away from the rest in our league but that's just my opinion of course.

#19 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,471 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:39 PM

You could be right BSJ but I think come the start of the season we will be stronger than we were this season.I also think Leigh batley and the eagles will be stronger too.So that's why I think the top 5 will put another gulf between the lower part of our league I can honestly see their being 10 points between 5th and 6th place next season at least 10 points IMO. The top clubs are pulling away from the rest in our league but that's just my opinion of course.

And so you should be spending 300k more than us a season on players.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#20 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

And so you should be spending 300k more than us a season on players.

It's not our fault that us top 5 teams have ambition. And don't say the hawks etc can't afford to do this because can the eagles afford to do it? You are a lot better supported than the eagles.

Edited by thundergaz, 02 November 2012 - 06:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users