Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Myler to partner Sinfield in new-look half-back partnership

EnglandRL media release

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,057 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:06 PM

I'm not sure what Myler has to do to prove himself tbh.

He does not have to do anything. However, that does not mean he should not or does not have to compete for that spot. In any case, I'm pretty sure McNamara does base his selection on what we say.

#42 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:06 PM

Sounds more like Brough - Widdop to me who at least retain the possibility, until proved otherwise, of being up to the job when faced with World Class opposition!

I've got all the respect and administration in the world for Kevin Sinfield who is one of the best players I've seen grace English Rugby League, unfortunately despite numerous chances he's been unable to reach those high standards when it really matters ie when faced with Australia and New Zealand.
I'd love to be proved wrong but I don't think I will be and what's more because of past failures over the last 8 years or so Sinfield should not be given another chance to prove or disprove my theory.

Myler is another story, the jury is still out on him and we won't really know until he's been properly tested!

fair enough but which player will be the organiser certainly not brough although he has a decent kicking game . certainly not widdup who does not preform that role for brisbane but is outstanding as a short passer and makes good breaks . the point is neither of them sets up the style of play or the pace of the game and insures the game plan is kept to . in the case of widdup then of course its cronk who preforms that role at brisbane in the case of brough has anyone got a clue who preformed that role at huddersfield

Edited by southstand loiner, 30 October 2012 - 09:07 PM.

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#43 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:02 PM

I'm not sure what Myler has to do to prove himself tbh.

He plays consistently well week in week out in one of the best teams in the league, had a blinding game at Wembley, has improved his game week on week, yet for some reason people would rather see somebody like Lomax in there. Brough is talented, but he doesn;t do it week in week out, and certainly has never been properly tested at the highest level.

Banging your head against a brick wall Dave!!!
I've given up on getting upset when people slate / debate/ moan / troll / etc etc about our players!!!

Myler did well, created a few tries, did some things well and tackled better than most 7's - made a few errors, but so did England as a whole.

Myler isn't a poor player, like you said he's improved and deserves his chance ahead of Lomax and Brough *

* England doesn't need Brough and Sinfield playing in the same team IMHO

I'm not moaning/trolling/slagging/slating or in any other way being derogatory about Myler, I'm merely suggesting that the jury is out until he's been properly tested. That doesn't detract from his performances with Warrington in the League or in Cup finals, it merely means I'd like to see him against Australia or an on form New Zealand before declaring him World class.

Don't be so touchy, not everyone's got an axe to grind

#44 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,519 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:23 AM

I'm not moaning/trolling/slagging/slating or in any other way being derogatory about Myler, I'm merely suggesting that the jury is out until he's been properly tested. That doesn't detract from his performances with Warrington in the League or in Cup finals, it merely means I'd like to see him against Australia or an on form New Zealand before declaring him World class.

Don't be so touchy, not everyone's got an axe to grind

Thanks for the response, Myler as you say deserves his chance, he'll never be world class, he's far from it.
England have no world class 7's
If we move tomkins to 7 and Zak to FB - then maybe we've got a world class player playing 7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users