RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Super League teams to discuss 2 tier SL with P+R

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#1 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 647 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:01 PM

http://www.warringto..._of_10/?ref=rss
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#2 brooza

brooza
  • 4,079 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:04 PM

So what's the difference between a 2 tier Super League and Super League + Championship? Other than P+R?

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos and St Albans Centurions fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade, Dragones de la Sierra and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#3 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:05 PM

My only problem with stories like these is we only hear from the 'haves', a whiff of NIMBY-ism matched with I'm Alright Jack. I remember McManus from St Helens saying similar about reducing the league. I doubt Warrington would've been so supportive 10 years ago, for example.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#4 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,125 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:06 PM

Our long lost friend Wendall - Posts.

Casual Postman of Orford says...
10:44am Fri 26 Oct 12
Spot on two divisions of ten, get two more French clubs in there and top 5 play off with promotion and relegation from SL2.

#5 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,125 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:08 PM

My only problem with stories like these is we only hear from the 'haves', a whiff of NIMBY-ism matched with I'm Alright Jack. I remember McManus from St Helens saying similar about reducing the league. I doubt Warrington would've been so supportive 10 years ago, for example.

Yes it suits the 10 better clubs, but clubs are trying to address issues for the good of the game!!

Play off crowds are down *, doesn't make our game look attractive - That's without talking of clubs in money crisis or poor stadiums etc etc

* versus regular season games

Edited by 1976PMJwires, 26 October 2012 - 12:09 PM.

#6 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,645 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:09 PM

If we had 20 clubs capable of moving between divisions with nobody falling foul of current minimum standards all well and good, but we haven't so I don't see the point in discussing it uless they are going to scrap minimum standards.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending to be hurt, rugby players spend 80 minutes pretending they haven't been hurt.

#7 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,383 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:16 PM

Surely the Championship clubs should get some sort of say seeing as they maybe involved?

#8 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:20 PM

Why is there an infatuation with promotion and relegation?
Why would you split the top league just to satisy that? In splitting the Super League would we have 10 teams in the top league, 10 in the second, and the rest of the clubs making up the Championships?
If so, what is really the point?
Have those who want a return to promotion and relegation thought that in doing this the changes would only really be a smokescreen because, presumably, there would be no p&r between the second division and the Championship clubs below it?
Currently Sky's television deal is to show 14 clubs throughout the season; what happens if we extend it to 20, even though many people are saying the current format needs reducing to 12?
How do we sustain 20 clubs in two divisions if we there is a question mark over how the governing body is sustaining one league of 14?

So many questions...

#9 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,451 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:23 PM

So what's the difference between a 2 tier Super League and Super League + Championship? Other than P+R?

Central funding and criteria I'd guess.

#10 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 662 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:42 PM

Wait, I've got it: we need to split Super League into Super League and Super Duper League. That would sort it.

#11 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,740 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:45 PM

On funding, I would hazard a guess that we already have around 10 clubs who could meet, say a 2m salary cap, with reduced Sky money, and another 10 who could meet a 1m salary cap, with (in the case of current championship clubs) more Sky money.
Insofar as this allows Fax, Fev, Leigh, Sheff, Cumbrians etc a place in SL2, then I would welcome it with open arms.
If you take Wigan, Leeds and Wire, say, as organisations they are poles apart from Cas, London and Fev, who in turn are poles apart from Skolars, Gateshead and South Wales - I hope that is uncontroversial.
The position these clubs take will vary over time, and so we need the possibility of moving up and down. Currently, it seems to me there is very little in terms of potential between the bottom 4 in SL and the top 6 in the Champioship. Certainly very little that an even spread of Sky money would not smooth over.

#12 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:00 PM

Bleedin ridiculous. What on earth for. Can we keep some things the same. When are we going to use helmets and the cricket bats then?

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#13 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:06 PM

Is this not the first (or maybe another) salvo about preparing for a smaller SL?
"Oh yes, this will be great if Sky, the SL clubs and the CC clubs support it"
"However, we can't afford that right now so how about a 12 club SL as a first step along that road and send Cas and HKR into the Championship to help boost that level with a view to attaining the 2 x 10 teams SL in the future"

#14 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

This is the change we need. John Kear was talking about this a few years ago, and it's good to see it gathering momentum. The difference here is that you have two divisions of full-time professionals and then a semi-pro tier.

Our best players would be under much more pressure week in, week out, and clubs like Wakey would be able to be more competitive in SL2. Too many of our top players, know that they can be some way below their best and still end up on the winning side if they're playing the likes of Wakey, Cas, Salford & Widnes.

With a salary cap of say £2m for SL1 and £1.5m for SL2, the gap between the two wouldn't be massive and clubs could step up, or move down without having to completely start again. That's the big problem with the old system. For those going down, all contracts became null & void, and those going up had to recruit a new team within a few months.

Key to ensure there is a tight control on "non-federation" players, to ensure clubs in SL2 don't just pack their squads with run around Aussies and Kiwis, rather than home grown players.

A franchise system for clubs wanting to join SL2 should be in place to ensure the downside of the old P&R system weren't just replicated but shoved down a tier.

Be good if they could get this in place for the 2015 season.

#15 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,363 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

Bleedin ridiculous. What on earth for. Can we keep some things the same. When are we going to use helmets and the cricket bats then?

Not long since the cricketers split their league into 2 small divisions of 9 each.

Has it increased crowds ? Doubt it.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#16 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,394 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:34 PM

Wait, I've got it: we need to split Super League into Super League and Super Duper League. That would sort it.

Slight error. It's actually Super Duper League and Stoopid League.

And it's watched by sheeple.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#17 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:38 PM

Leave the number of SL sides the same, decrease the playoff numbers, and although relegation isn't an option, make it clear to the clubs that finish bottom that they would have to fulfill the other main criteria to retain their licenses.
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#18 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,363 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:42 PM

Leave the number of SL sides the same, decrease the playoff numbers, and although relegation isn't an option, make it clear to the clubs that finish bottom that they would have to fulfill the other main criteria to retain their licenses.

So they're not being relegated but they lose their licence if they don't fulfil the criteria ?

What the hell does that mean ?

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#19 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,367 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:42 PM

If we had 20 clubs capable of moving between divisions with nobody falling foul of current minimum standards all well and good, but we haven't so I don't see the point in discussing it uless they are going to scrap minimum standards.

I thought it was a stunning suggestion.

Only one thing missing.....

Any detail at all :rolleyes:

#20 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

If there's enough TV money to go round then great!

I wrote about it in February... http://www.loverugby...-structure.html

;)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users