1. Gatcliffe has given his preference, and tbh, I suspect he knows a hell of a lot more about the money and TV situation than you.
2. On the money point, here's a scenario:
Currently 14 clubs get £1.4m per year.
If this was stripped to 10 clubs with the money staying the same, then you have the opportunity to give the next 10 clubs £560k each This should support them in a £1m salary cap.
3. Don't go along the lines of 'Sky want this blah blah blah' let's be honest, none of us know
1. Gatcliffe said nothing about money Dave. The clear challenge on this is for Gatcliffe to put the money for this where his mouth is.
I suspect this is hot air from Gatcliffe we can all do the suspecting thing. It's up to him to put up the proposal not a soundbite.
2. You have come up with a scanario where clubs on less than a million turnover are given another half a million to get them to a £1.5M turnover.
How are they supposed to then be promoted and compete with ten big clubs all on £4.5 to £5.5M turnover.
This is the real scanario. The gap remains massive
Financially Leeds, Hull, Catalans, Toulouse, Wigan, Saints, Wire, Huddersfield (through Davey) London (through Hughes) can murder any of the rest of them.
You relegate Bradford, Salford, Wakefield, HKR and cas into a second division and they will end up like all other second division relegated clubs with second rate attendances and lowered turnovers.
Diddling around with inadequate funding merely means you change where the massive gap is. I wonder if gatcliffe is so knowledgable on figures and can tell me differently.
3. We know the full record to date is SKY wanting one elite league and not wanting to put a penny into any second tier.
OK I don't know that the next SKY contract is not going to be £50,000,000 a year which just may make this work. I also don't know if SKY will do such a massive about face just to help clubs they never had any interest in.
So I'd best shurrup....
Edited by The Parksider, 28 October 2012 - 12:21 PM.