Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Tom Briscoe to NRL?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 692 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:20 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/20080092

Hull FC chairman Adam Pearson says the club will do everything they can to keep winger Tom Briscoe.

The 22-year-old scored 17 tries in the 2012 Super League campaign but is out of contract at the end of next season.

"We need to talk to Tom really early in the new year because he has an ambition to play in Australia," Pearson told BBC Radio Humberside.

"We're going to offer him a long contract on huge money but that might not be enough."

He added: "Tom is a great, highly-respected player and we'd love to keep him."

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#2 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,142 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:27 PM

Think he'd do well down under. Would love to see him give the NRL a crack.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#3 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:26 PM

Think he'd do well down under. Would love to see him give the NRL a crack.

I wouldn't - Thankyou! ;)
Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#4 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:35 PM

After Adam Pearson stopped talking about Rovers :P he mentioned that they'd be offering Briscoe a big contract. Although I don't really know what a big contract in SL is any more.

#5 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:40 PM

I would like to see him make the move, he is at the right age.
Not many Super League backs have moved to the NRL and the ones that have struggled in recent years, Brian Carney being the one exception.
Wing is a tough spot to get a first grade place, as NRL Clubs will always move surplus skilled Fullbacks or Centres to the Wing even at Club level.
I hope he backs himself.

Edited by AndyCapp, 26 October 2012 - 01:41 PM.

#6 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:51 PM

Good move for Tom briscoe and England IMO, the more English players playing in the NRL the better our chance of beating the Aussies and now the kiwis who are more than a match for the Aussies.

#7 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:59 PM

He only has to llok at how well the likes of Graham & Burgess are going to see that the NRL is the best place for him to go if he's to make that next step up.

I hope he goes and makes a real success of it !

#8 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,433 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:06 PM

Hull - OZ

no brainer! :lol: :D :o ;)

#9 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,985 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:08 PM

don't think he is good enough, the likes of ryan hall and josh charnley would make it in the NRL but i don't think briscoe would.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#10 slowdive

slowdive
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:18 PM

don't think he is good enough, the likes of ryan hall and josh charnley would make it in the NRL but i don't think briscoe would.

I tend to agree. I think Briscoe is an excellent player but I think he would need to improve to get a regular first grade spot. Granted I've not seen him loads and loads and he seems like a wonderful runner when he's in the mood, but I've also seen him hesitate when going for the corner on at least a couple of occasions.
"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

#11 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,433 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:28 PM

I know people have opinions, but josh over Tom. Not on your nelly..... One can tackle, burst tackles, create and score..... The other one makes the occasional good break and falls over the line...... No comparison at all

But that's my opinion..... I'd have Tom everytime over Josh....everytime

This would make a great poll who'd you rather have.

#12 boris74

boris74
  • Coach
  • 137 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:41 PM

Disagree completely I think the NRL would be the making of the kid. Alot of things that Tom does well comes too easily for him in Super League and he is never really tested beyond his ability if you know what I mean! His raw potential has not been fully realised at Hull.

Having to perform every week in an intense environment I think would help the overall game of a clearly talented player.

We have all seen his clinical finishing abilities, strong defence and excellent ball carry in patches which is all very well in Super League but to go to the next level the NRL seems the logical choice.

#13 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,849 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:23 PM

Disagree completely I think the NRL would be the making of the kid. Alot of things that Tom does well comes too easily for him in Super League and he is never really tested beyond his ability if you know what I mean! His raw potential has not been fully realised at Hull.

Having to perform every week in an intense environment I think would help the overall game of a clearly talented player.

We have all seen his clinical finishing abilities, strong defence and excellent ball carry in patches which is all very well in Super League but to go to the next level the NRL seems the logical choice.

Spot on IMO.

#14 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,142 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:42 PM

I'd take Tom Briscoe over Ryan Hall and Josh Charnley all day long!.. I think Tom has gone a bit stale at FC over the last couple of years, but still has bags more potential than either Hall or Charnley.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#15 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:47 AM

I'd take Tom Briscoe over Ryan Hall and Josh Charnley all day long!.. I think Tom has gone a bit stale at FC over the last couple of years, but still has bags more potential than either Hall or Charnley.

But Ryan's nickname is WBW......

#16 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:49 AM

I would be very sad to see Tom go but it would be great to see him tested in the NRL. Tom has to virtually make all his own trys at Hull due to us having not had a decent halfback since Cookie left, other wingers get a lot more of there trys handed on a platter.If the Prince nd Holdsworth combination comes off don't be surprised to see him at the top of the try scorers list next year.

#17 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,652 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:05 AM

After Adam Pearson stopped talking about Rovers :P

Was that about the same time the Rovers' fans stopped phoning in pretending to be Hull FC fans? :P

I'm torn over the Briscoe situation. My heart says sign him up for life but I'd also love to see him have a go in the NRL.

He is simply the most exciting young player I've ever seen at Hull and that's a big rap from me.

I've never seen a player with such an ability to create tries from nowt, from anywhere on the park.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#18 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:17 AM

Tom Briscoe's try against Leeds last season - when he shredded half the Rhinos team from long distance - was astoundingly good and one that I find it difficult to imagine either Hall, for all his achievements and current status, or Charnley come close to emulating.

The odd thing is, I saw Tom Lineham in just a couple of games last season and thought that, in terms of raw potential, he would be my pick over the likes of Hall and Charnley...

#19 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:35 AM

Tom Briscoe's try against Leeds last season - when he shredded half the Rhinos team from long distance - was astoundingly good and one that I find it difficult to imagine either Hall, for all his achievements and current status, or Charnley come close to emulating.

The odd thing is, I saw Tom Lineham in just a couple of games last season and thought that, in terms of raw potential, he would be my pick over the likes of Hall and Charnley...

That Try was scored against some of the worst defence you will ever see, four tacklers fell off him at the same time and then he out paced a couple of cover defenders that looked like they couldn't be arsed.

It looked like a first grader against a Park team.

#20 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,849 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:38 AM

Hall is better than Briscoe though it must be said.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users