Tom Briscoe to NRL?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,782 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:09 AM

Hall is better than Briscoe though it must be said.

Of course, he's the WBW after all... :rolleyes:

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#22 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:49 AM

That Try was scored against some of the worst defence you will ever see, four tacklers fell off him at the same time and then he out paced a couple of cover defenders that looked like they couldn't be arsed.

It looked like a first grader against a Park team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaVF3n5KFG0

Thanks for posting the clip. It's as good as I remember it.

When you write that "four players fell off him at the same time" do you mean that they did it because they all suffered a group fainting fit and that Briscoe's talent and determination contributed nothing to the scoring of the try? For a player to beat a tackler means, by definition, that a tackle has to have been missed...

Add the "four" above to the "couple of players" who "couldn't be arsed" and it's a wonder that Leeds did as well as they did - Super League champions, World Club challenge winners over Manly and Challenge Cup finalists.

Does Jamie Peacock, one of the players beaten by Briscoe, have a reputation Down Under as a player who just can't "be arsed?"

#23 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:51 AM

The strength and balance let alone the speed he shows make that one of the best trys iv seen. I think him and Hall are our best wingers and a move to the NRL would show that he is one of the best in the world.
waddell

#24 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:55 AM

my only criticism of Briscoe is that he rely's on his strength and brute force too much. it works over here to a degree, but wont work so well over in the NRL, he'll have to develop a bit more guile and evasiveness to make an impact and succeed over there.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#25 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:57 AM

Thanks for posting the clip. It's as good as I remember it.

When you write that "four players fell off him at the same time" do you mean that they did it because they all suffered a group fainting fit and that Briscoe's talent and determination contributed nothing to the scoring of the try? For a player to beat a tackler means, by definition, that a tackle has to have been missed...

Add the "four" above to the "couple of players" who "couldn't be arsed" and it's a wonder that Leeds did as well as they did - Super League champions, World Club challenge winners over Manly and Challenge Cup finalists.

Does Jamie Peacock, one of the players beaten by Briscoe, have a reputation Down Under as a player who just can't "be arsed?"

Peacock was good years ago, his time has passed some while ago to be honest, he does not have that much of a reputation down under to be honest, most in Oz have forgotten his short stint at the Wollongong University team.

It is indeed a wonder Leeds have done as well as they have when they let a player score a try like that, Briscoe did well, the Leeds players helped him look better than he should of, maybe they were tired or saving themselves for the big games later in the season :-)

Then again they were no where near the best team all year were they?

Edited by AndyCapp, 27 October 2012 - 11:11 AM.

#26 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:50 AM

Peacock was good years ago, his time has passed some while ago to be honest, he does not have that much of a reputation down under to be honest, most in Oz have forgotten his short stint at the Wollongong University team.

I agree that Peacock is past his best and, following his announcement that he's stepping down from international duty, I suspect that he does too.

On the other hand, his performance against some current Kangaroos in the Manly team defeated at the beginning of the year suggests that even Wollongong University might not be too proud to consider him worthy of a place in their current line-up. :)

#27 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:57 AM

i posted a thread back in i think march saying briscoe was wanted by cronulla but i got shot down over it . seems i was not far off the mark
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#28 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,782 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

i posted a thread back in i think march saying briscoe was wanted by cronulla but i got shot down over it . seems i was not far off the mark

To be fair mate, there's been a few threads and speculation about him going to the NRL. Yours was probably not the first so folk will just say that it's the same rumours being meted out again and again.

This latest thread has been borne out of Adam Pearson's comments from last week when he simply said they were looking to tie Briscoe down to Hull FC with a well deserved contract, but Pearson is well aware of Briscoe's previous comments about his desire to try his hand in Oz.

I'm not saying his agent isn't constantly on the look out for an opportunity to line his own and Briscoe's pockets by securing a deal over there, it's just that it's often the same rumours without foundation, other than what Tom himself stated last year or whenever it was.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#29 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

To be fair mate, there's been a few threads and speculation about him going to the NRL. Yours was probably not the first so folk will just say that it's the same rumours being meted out again and again.

This latest thread has been borne out of Adam Pearson's comments from last week when he simply said they were looking to tie Briscoe down to Hull FC with a well deserved contract, but Pearson is well aware of Briscoe's previous comments about his desire to try his hand in Oz.

I'm not saying his agent isn't constantly on the look out for an opportunity to line his own and Briscoe's pockets by securing a deal over there, it's just that it's often the same rumours without foundation, other than what Tom himself stated last year or whenever it was.

fair enough but when the rumours are coming out of his family i take a bit more notice of them . anyway good luck to him whatever he ends up doing

#30 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,782 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:18 PM

anyway good luck to him whatever he ends up doing

Absolutely. I'll be gutted if he leaves Hull but he'll go with my very best wishes if he chooses to do so.

He's earned them.

#31 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,414 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:35 AM

Tom Briscoe's try against Leeds last season - when he shredded half the Rhinos team from long distance - was astoundingly good and one that I find it difficult to imagine either Hall, for all his achievements and current status, or Charnley come close to emulating.

The odd thing is, I saw Tom Lineham in just a couple of games last season and thought that, in terms of raw potential, he would be my pick over the likes of Hall and Charnley...

As long as he hasn't sustained any lasting damage from the broken ankle, Lineham has a great future. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the fringes of international selection a year from now.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#32 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,414 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:39 AM

Hall is better than Briscoe though it must be said.

I wouldn't take two Ryan Halls over Briscoe.

Hall is as good as he's ever going to be. There's more to come from Briscoe. If that ends up being in the NRL then good luck to him but I hope Hull can hang on to him for another three or four years.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#33 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:20 AM

I agree that Peacock is past his best and, following his announcement that he's stepping down from international duty, I suspect that he does too.

On the other hand, his performance against some current Kangaroos in the Manly team defeated at the beginning of the year suggests that even Wollongong University might not be too proud to consider him worthy of a place in their current line-up. :)

:)

Maybe,
Not sure if the farce that is the WCC is a good yard stick though.

I do agree and think Briscoe is a really good player.

Edited by AndyCapp, 28 October 2012 - 11:24 AM.

#34 stewpot01

stewpot01
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

Tom Briscoe's try against Leeds last season - when he shredded half the Rhinos team from long distance - was astoundingly good and one that I find it difficult to imagine either Hall, for all his achievements and current status, or Charnley come close to emulating.

Don't make me laugh :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#35 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:44 PM

Don't make me laugh :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Why not? Laughing isn't a bad thing to be doing on glum Sunday mornings/early afternoons... (At least, it's glum where I am).

Ryan Hall is a high achiever and a good all-rounder but, despite his current status in the game, it doesn't mean that his position in the England team should be automatic. He's reliable under the high ball, has physical presence and finishes well and has few, if any, weaknesses.

On the other hand, I don't sense any great anticipation that something special is about to happen when Hall has the ball in his hands deep in his own half - he's not the kind of player who can produce something from nothing in the way that greats of the past were able to do: he's not got the acceleration, change of pace and bewildering footwork of a Jason Robinson or the outside swerve and killing, sustained pace of a Martin Offiah. There was an electric charge in the air when they had the ball and, for all his achievements, I don't think Hall has that kind of effect on spectators of today.

Briscoe has a long way before being ranked alongside the aforementioned greats but, when he's in receipt of the ball, I do have a similar feeling that he might just produce something very special... like the try v Leeds posted above.

#36 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:11 PM

Why not? Laughing isn't a bad thing to be doing on glum Sunday mornings/early afternoons... (At least, it's glum where I am).

Ryan Hall is a high achiever and a good all-rounder but, despite his current status in the game, it doesn't mean that his position in the England team should be automatic. He's reliable under the high ball, has physical presence and finishes well and has few, if any, weaknesses.

On the other hand, I don't sense any great anticipation that something special is about to happen when Hall has the ball in his hands deep in his own half - he's not the kind of player who can produce something from nothing in the way that greats of the past were able to do: he's not got the acceleration, change of pace and bewildering footwork of a Jason Robinson or the outside swerve and killing, sustained pace of a Martin Offiah. There was an electric charge in the air when they had the ball and, for all his achievements, I don't think Hall has that kind of effect on spectators of today.

Briscoe has a long way before being ranked alongside the aforementioned greats but, when he's in receipt of the ball, I do have a similar feeling that he might just produce something very special... like the try v Leeds posted above.

Well put :)
Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#37 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:41 PM

each to there own opnion i think there both first rate wingers

#38 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:03 PM

Was that about the same time the Rovers' fans stopped phoning in pretending to be Hull FC fans? :P

I remember leaving a Rovers game about 5 years ago and in the car on the way to pub a caller live on air says he had ripped his Hull season pass up, burnt his shirt and will start to support Rovers as he was getting bullied for being a Hull fan. I thought, 'I know that voice'; It was one of my best mates. Gwilym cut him off eventually. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users