TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Billy Boston honoured amongst greatest black athletes of all time.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

#21 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

I'm confused, does Black mean African?

well in that case zola budd would have been in with a shout so i guess not
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#22 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:12 PM

well in that case zola budd would have been in with a shout so i guess not

Or in RL terms Tom Van Vollenhoven and a host of others.

#23 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:55 PM

Billy was hounded out of Cardiff RFC because he was black and had to go west to play for Neath RFC who were very accepting. On realising he wouldn't get picked for Wales, he accepted Wigan's offer and the rest is history. He was an ambassador for sport in a time that was still a fairly racist society.

He didn't accept Wigan's offer, his mother sold him.

He didn't want to go North.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#24 DimmestStar

DimmestStar
  • Coach
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:05 PM

Billy Boston was a great athlete.

Great black athlete? What's that about? Why not great black with stocky legs athlete?

Do people think his skin colour was part of his athletic greatness? Not for me, great player end of.

Long way to go.

#25 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:23 PM

I think Boston's achievements and fame put him ahead of Sullivan in such a list, as great as Sullivan was Boston still has to be surpassed.

Great recognition from a great man, on and off the field,

billy will probably take it in his usual manner, "I don't deserve it", he, as usual, wouldn't be more wrong.

disagree sullivan was the first black person to captain a great britain team in any sport. and therefore shuld be on the list.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#26 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 309 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:35 PM

This list is the equivalent of apartheid , athletes are good or bad, leave race and colour and all that aside.

Lists like these seek to create racial divides in sport.

#27 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 853 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:43 PM

This list is the equivalent of apartheid , athletes are good or bad, leave race and colour and all that aside.

Totally agree

#28 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:46 AM

Not at all.

In an age where black athletes were either not selected or had to face huge obstacles simply to achieve anything approaching parity, then of course their struggle should be acknowledged.

It's ludicrous to suggest otherwise.

#29 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 309 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:35 AM

Struggle? Nothing like te oppression the French game suffered under the Vichy regime, the the game in Yugoslavia, the struggle you talk about is irrelevant, the fact is, these people were allowed or chose to compete, they should be noted as great athletes, but relating it purely to skin tone is simply racial selection, the very thing they were supposedly trying to stop.

#30 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:03 AM

Struggle? Nothing like te oppression the French game suffered under the Vichy regime, the the game in Yugoslavia, the struggle you talk about is irrelevant, the fact is, these people were allowed or chose to compete, they should be noted as great athletes, but relating it purely to skin tone is simply racial selection, the very thing they were supposedly trying to stop.

Are you seriously comparing RL being banned in France and Yugoslavia with segregation or apartheid? I think you need to re-assess what is really important in life pal.

#31 gnidir

gnidir
  • Coach
  • 309 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:47 AM

Yes, yes I am, Yugoslavia and France torn apart by dictatorial regimes who wouldn't allow equal opportunities for all.
Back to my initial point, I think that these athletes should be recognised as great athletes for no their reason than that's what they were.

If I were to compare these things in a way that were not serious, I may have quoted any of the following; unicorns, moomins, elves, oompah loompahs and the dictatorial regime of the willy wonka corporation, I could go on, but I can feel you compiling a list of the greatest oompah loompahs ever to create a chocolate bar.

If you don't like my opinion, perhaps you could add me to your list of the 10 totalrl posts which you disagree with most.

#32 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:49 AM

Er, ok. :unsure:

#33 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:54 AM

Good grief!

1. The existence of such a list is wrong
2. The wrong people are on the list
3. The people who are on the list are in the wrong position

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the world of Rugby League.

#34 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:01 AM

Yes, yes I am, Yugoslavia and France torn apart by dictatorial regimes who wouldn't allow equal opportunities for all.
Back to my initial point, I think that these athletes should be recognised as great athletes for no their reason than that's what they were.

If I were to compare these things in a way that were not serious, I may have quoted any of the following; unicorns, moomins, elves, oompah loompahs and the dictatorial regime of the willy wonka corporation, I could go on, but I can feel you compiling a list of the greatest oompah loompahs ever to create a chocolate bar.

If you don't like my opinion, perhaps you could add me to your list of the 10 totalrl posts which you disagree with most.

1. Do you seriously think that in a war-torn starving France of 1939 to 1945 anyone seriously gave a ###### about Rugby League?
2. All these athletes have indeed to my knowledge been recognised as great athletes for no their reason than that's what they were.
3. Its not a matter of liking or disliking your opinion, its a matter of believing that your opinion is based on a false and specious premis

#35 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:17 AM

It's usually a black leaning organisation, dedicated to producing content for the interest of blacks, that propagate these lists in the first place. This has a link to the past when if they did n't push their own stars, nobody in the white world would.

That's why they had the Negro league baseball in the US and had their own all star games, statistics etc. They were excluded from major league baseball even though on exhibition tours around the boodocks they often competed against and beat teams of white major leaguers. Today the stars of the Negro league get inducted into the hall of fame. Better late than never you might say.

That is why Jackie Robinson is on the list under discussion. He was the first black to join the club, was greeted with unbelievable racism and, and still over achieved.

That is why Jesse Owens is so important. He shoved Hilter's ideas on white supremacy back down his throat in Berlin no less.

Billy Boston, Johnny Freeman, Colin Dixon, Frank Wilson, Clive Sullivan all had the ability to play for Wales at RU but were never going to be picked because of their race. Wasn't Billy left off a lions RL team playing an exhibition game in apartheid South Africa because he was black.?

Today, such things would not happen. Most US sports are dominated by black athletes and Wales would pick those black Welshmen like Boston for their team in a heartbeat.

Today such lists are counterproductive in achieving racial harmony in society but I understand the historical underpinnings to the existence of the list.

#36 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:18 AM

disagree sullivan was the first black person to captain a great britain team in any sport. and therefore shuld be on the list.

Read what I posted, then get back to me.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#37 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,398 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:07 PM

Read what I posted, then get back to me.

I think Clive Sullivan was a great player, and as the first black man to captain a British international team deserves some recognition. However, Billy was a fantastic sportsman and deserves the honour - I write as somone who saw him play. However, what I ask is why isn't Ellery on the list? A great footballer and considerable athlete.
As for colour prejudice in Wales, Colin Dixon, Jonhnnie Freeman, Danny Wilson and Clive Sullivan, could all be added to the black Welshmen who came north presumably because they saw no future in playing Union in South Wales in the fifties, sixties and seventies. If you played Union in those days and were any good, you could look forward to a secure future one way or another - provided of course you weren't black.

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#38 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

I think Clive Sullivan was a great player, and as the first black man to captain a British international team deserves some recognition. However, Billy was a fantastic sportsman and deserves the honour - I write as somone who saw him play. However, what I ask is why isn't Ellery on the list? A great footballer and considerable athlete.
As for colour prejudice in Wales, Colin Dixon, Jonhnnie Freeman, Danny Wilson and Clive Sullivan, could all be added to the black Welshmen who came north presumably because they saw no future in playing Union in South Wales in the fifties, sixties and seventies. If you played Union in those days and were any good, you could look forward to a secure future one way or another - provided of course you weren't black.

So do I.

Boston couldn't even get a sniff in at Cardiff, the club he really wanted to play for, as at that time they weren't to keen on anyone sporting a tan.

#39 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:43 PM

So do I.

Boston couldn't even get a sniff in at Cardiff, the club he really wanted to play for, as at that time they weren't to keen on anyone sporting a tan.

that was the culture of the time in all sports and other ways of life not just for black people but anyone not fitting into the strait jacket of the times .
i wonder what they would have made of gareth thomas ?
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#40 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,398 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:04 PM

that was the culture of the time in all sports and other ways of life not just for black people but anyone not fitting into the strait jacket of the times .
i wonder what they would have made of gareth thomas ?

It may have been the culture in the fifties and sixties, but surely not in the seventies - when Danny Wilson and Colin Dixon signed. At that time black players were starting to make their presence felt in soccer and the England cricket team, so why not in Rugby Union - lets face it almost until its demise Union tacitly supported the apartheid regime in South Africa.

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014