TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Billy Boston honoured amongst greatest black athletes of all time.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

#41 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:36 PM

Are you seriously comparing RL being banned in France and Yugoslavia with segregation or apartheid? I think you need to re-assess what is really important in life pal.

Maybe they really are THAT deluded? Flabbergasting. There are just no words for some people... Just ignore him/her.
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#42 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:55 PM

It may have been the culture in the fifties and sixties, but surely not in the seventies - when Danny Wilson and Colin Dixon signed. At that time black players were starting to make their presence felt in soccer and the England cricket team, so why not in Rugby Union - lets face it almost until its demise Union tacitly supported the apartheid regime in South Africa.

think you will find colin dixon signed for halifax in the 60s and in the early 70s at least then yes it was still the culture of the time not until the mid 70s did it really start to change to any degree at least not in west yorkshire . fair enough the eletist ruby union held out longer than most but just how intergrated was tennis back then for instance
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#43 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,406 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:23 PM

think you will find colin dixon signed for halifax in the 60s and in the early 70s at least then yes it was still the culture of the time not until the mid 70s did it really start to change to any degree at least not in west yorkshire . fair enough the eletist ruby union held out longer than most but just how intergrated was tennis back then for instance

I think Arthur Ashe won Wimbledon in 1975

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#44 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:56 PM

I think Arthur Ashe won Wimbledon in 1975

and which english players of black skin have we heard of until the last couple of years
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#45 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,406 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:22 PM

and which english players of black skin have we heard of until the last couple of years

I think Heather Watson is "black" looks a bit like Jessica Ennis
http://www.redonline...itle-since-1988

#46 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:43 PM

I think both Jessica Ennis and Heather Watson are both mixed race.

http://en.wikipedia..../Heather_Watson

I think celebrating black sports people is fantastic as there has been an horrific amount of oppression of people of African and Aboriginal/Indigionous decent in professional sport throughout the 19th 20th centuries. Would the prejudice idiots have a problem if it was Greatest Chinese/Indo-Pakistani/Asian/European/British sports people? No. We don't need 'Greatest White Sports people' as Caucasions haven't had to go through hardship to become greats in their sports. Nothing wrong with Greatest Sports people from a Country or Continent, however the reason for 'Greatest Black Sports people' is because of oppression towards black people in Sport. Think about it 25 years ago neither Jessica Ennis or Heather Watson would have been able to compete in South Africa if their was an Olympics or Tennis tournament out there.

Edited by HappyDave, 28 October 2012 - 10:47 PM.

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#47 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,406 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:48 PM

I think both Jessica Ennis and Heather Watson are both mixed race.

http://en.wikipedia..../Heather_Watson

I think celebrating black sports people is great as there has been an huge amount of oppression of people of African and Aboriginal decent. Would the prejudice idiots have a problem if it was Greatest Chinese/Indo-Pakistani/Asian/European/British sports people? No. We don't need 'Greatest White Sports people' as Caucasions haven't had to go through hardship to become greats in their sports. Nothing wrong with Greatest Sports people from a Country or Continent, however the reason for 'Greatest Black Sports people' is because of oppression towards black people in Sport. Think about it 25 years ago neither Jessica Ennis or Heather Watson would have been able to compete in South Africa if their was an Olympics or Tennis tournament out there.

But in terms of this thread they are black - let's face it most of the Afro Caribbeans in the UK are mixed race.

#48 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:59 PM

But in terms of this thread they are black - let's face it most of the Afro Caribbeans in the UK are mixed race.

Yep, I agree, in terms of this thread they are black sports women.

By the way, Heather Watson's mother is Melanesian [from PNG] not the Caribbean if that's what you meant?

Edited by HappyDave, 28 October 2012 - 11:03 PM.