Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Pre-season friendlies

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:14 PM

I wonder what pre-season matches we will have next year? As it would appear that the NR cup is no longer to be the first matches it is imperative that we are up to speed for the first match and JK is happy that he knows his best 17. To lose the first couple of matches would mean us playing catch up and may be a step too far.

#2 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:02 PM

Just curious, who do batley have for pre season friendlies apart from us on boxing day?
"Are you tryin' to mug me off in front of my pals?"

#3 Keep The Faith

Keep The Faith
  • Coach
  • 793 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:15 PM

i'v heard castleford saints and maybe wakefield or warrington today but i don't think we will.

#4 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 665 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:09 AM

Saints at the mount? Would love to see that one!

I wonder who would get walmsley for that game?

Edited by M Hopkins, 29 October 2012 - 08:10 AM.

#5 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:28 AM

i'v heard castleford saints and maybe wakefield or warrington today but i don't think we will.

I still think the clubs are missing a trick. I reckon the dogs and the rams should play each other twice over the christmas and new year period, cumulative score to decide the RP trophy. Given that the matches always generate a good gate, it would be a real cash injection pre season. Both gates should be shared so that both clubs benefit from the higher BD crowd. I'd limit the matchday squad to the usual 17, and it would still give the supporters the chance to see all the players in a slightly more meaningful match. I'd also give a cash prize to the winning team (as opposed to club) to generate a bit of - ahem .... enthusiasm. ;)

#6 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,471 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:31 AM

I still think the clubs are missing a trick. I reckon the dogs and the rams should play each other twice over the christmas and new year period, cumulative score to decide the RP trophy. Given that the matches always generate a good gate, it would be a real cash injection pre season. Both gates should be shared so that both clubs benefit from the higher BD crowd. I'd limit the matchday squad to the usual 17, and it would still give the supporters the chance to see all the players in a slightly more meaningful match. I'd also give a cash prize to the winning team (as opposed to club) to generate a bit of - ahem .... enthusiasm. ;)

Yep. I'd vote for that.

Even better why not resurrect the real traditional games - Christmas Day pm first match, Boxing Day 12.00 second match? A little bit of Christmas spice!!
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#7 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:37 PM

In all honesty I can't see saints or wire at the mount, unless batley go over to their grounds?
"Are you tryin' to mug me off in front of my pals?"

#8 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:49 PM

In all honesty I can't see saints or wire at the mount, unless batley go over to their grounds?

Why would that be? We have had Hull KR over for friendlies and the distances must be roughly comparable. I would reckon St Helens might be a possibility due to the Walmesley deal. Not sure about Warrington as I cannot see a reason or a connection. And it tends to be, though not exclusively, the SL teams that travel for friendlies.

#9 Keep The Faith

Keep The Faith
  • Coach
  • 793 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:58 PM

saints at home would be a cracker also maybe hull kr due to brown and green? also castleford at home would be a good test as was wakey last year we could beat them again

#10 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,577 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:03 AM

Saints at ours was a pre-requisite of the alex deal i am lead to believe.

The robins may not be so clear cut but a cas or wakey fixture would be a decent test

The most unfashionable yet over achieving mutts around

#11 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,804 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:25 PM

Saints at ours was a pre-requisite of the alex deal i am lead to believe.

The robins may not be so clear cut but a cas or wakey fixture would be a decent test

From what ive been told, part of the deal was a friendly at Langtree Park not at the Mount, with a shared gate, it wa done this way as it was felt more St Helens fans would go to a friendly game at Langtree Park against us than would travel over to the Mount.I heard a date of January 13th being mentioned, but could be wrong.Makes sense really sharing a bigger gate than we'd have had at home.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#12 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 665 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:59 PM

That does make more sense. I hope we get a big local team like the rhinos at home in the challenge cup this year

#13 Sir Jekyll Stocking

Sir Jekyll Stocking
  • Coach
  • 887 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

That does make more sense. I hope we get a big local team like the rhinos at home in the challenge cup this year

... but not until the QF :)

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur

#14 frank

frank
  • Coach
  • 758 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:28 AM

I'd go along with that.It would be a good move financialy and a darned sight more interesting than Huddersfield.How many do they bring to the Mount.They can't even get a decent gate at the Galparm.

#15 Keep The Faith

Keep The Faith
  • Coach
  • 793 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:32 AM

I'd go along with that.It would be a good move financialy and a darned sight more interesting than Huddersfield.How many do they bring to the Mount.They can't even get a decent gate at the Galparm.

about 200 if you're lucky and yeah it would be a brilliant move financialy on both sides maybe a tie at mount and one at rams? play 17/18 players a decent crowd of 3,500+ plus hopefully both sets fans would travel to both grounds

#16 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

I see Fax are saying that they are playing us at the Shay on 20th January, subject to RFL approval.

They are also playing Keighley on Boxing Day and he Rams on 6th January.

#17 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

halifax away on jan 20th 1230 ko been confirmed
Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#18 Batley Bob

Batley Bob
  • Coach
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

Has any one thought , last few seasons , Super league teams sent out 2 teams per weekend a mixture of first team squad and there under 21sin mixed in each team , this season they only have there first team squad , meaning they can only field one team per weekend , resulting in super league fixtures becoming hard to get , unless we wanted to play some ones under 18,s , so fax n dews are two really good fixtures for us , we just need a third friendly to get us up and running

#19 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

What about Fev? We have had some good games against them this year. Or why not play two local teams One first half and then a different one second half such as Batley boys and Shawcross. It would be a stern test for the dogs who's superior fitness would be negated by the oposition only having to play 40 mins (or play 4 x 20 mins each way). The local support might turn up in bigger numbers as a decent number turned up for Maun's testimonial.

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users