Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

signings

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:32 AM

http://www.swintonli...sh-watkins.html

Hope Hulme is as good as his dad,Mills proves us all wrong and has a season like his dad and that Kash reveals the potential he gave a glimpse of a few years ago and turns out as good as his brother! Keep it in the family.

#2 PaulT

PaulT
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:03 PM

...And Callum Watkins scores for England as I read this! :lol:

Posted Image

#3 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:01 AM

Very happy to see Mills back on board. While his contribution in the early part of 2012 was disappointing, towards the end of the season he was far more effective. Hopefully Steve McCormack has now worked out how to get the best out of him and it will be his good form that continues into 2013.

The squad still needs an Adam Walker type (or two) joining him to give a competitive front row.

The other two definitely have potential, but the Championship will be a step up. They might prove good enough, only time will tell.
Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#4 Furryenzo

Furryenzo
  • Coach
  • 913 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:07 PM

Agreed about adam walker. Bit of an unsung hero last year, made a real impact in our front row, scored a fair few tries as well. I imagine with the Warrington connection we will be seeing more of Glenn Riley also.
Im only smiling because `no-one`'s found the bodies yet.

#5 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:54 PM

I remain to be convinced on the supposed benefits of the "partnership" - its very noticable that several of the most promising young Warrington players from last season have preferred to join other clubs rather than be part of it. eg Brooke Broughton, who has gone to Doncaster.

The forward line up still needs serious reinforcement.

#6 GLENNGARY

GLENNGARY
  • Coach
  • 233 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:20 PM

Philh, the Warrington youngsters you have quoted as moving on could be surplus to Warringtons requirements. According to our meeting at Swinton Legion Dual reg. players will be paid super league contract wages by Warrington. Any player leaving to go to championship clubs would be stepping down to semi-pro wages I can't see them doing that, but there again i might be wrong.

#7 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

I dont think theyll have any rubbish replacements either! Its fair enough not being convinced about the partnership its all new and could be a disaster a roaring success or fair to middling,but Warrington dont do poor players .

I agree about our forwards ,we need some more big uns. Adam Walker would be great but I fear too expensive. PJ surely must be a target for us.

#8 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:05 PM

Philh, the Warrington youngsters you have quoted as moving on could be surplus to Warringtons requirements. According to our meeting at Swinton Legion Dual reg. players will be paid super league contract wages by Warrington. Any player leaving to go to championship clubs would be stepping down to semi-pro wages I can't see them doing that, but there again i might be wrong.

Matty Blythe hasn't stepped down to semi-pro wages, but he's gone to Bradford on a one-year loan. That instance is easier to live with, as the player is taking a chance of first team rugby elsewhere in Super League - that's obviously something Swinton Lions cannot offer.

What is disappointing in my eyes is to see young players that fall into the bracket of too old for the new academy set up chosing to leave Warrington and join other sides in the Championship, ahead of being part of this partnership with Swinton.

#9 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:53 PM

There could be a number of reasons why players have left Warrington for other clubs. It could also be that our coaching team has already identified the players who they want on dual reg next season and it didn't include any that have moved elsewhere. I get the feeling you are angling at fashioning a problem that may not exist.
This has to be given time to see if it will be of benefit to Swinton.

#10 Furryenzo

Furryenzo
  • Coach
  • 913 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:54 PM

In relation to PJ, can we afford his wages anymore?

#11 lions4eva

lions4eva
  • Coach
  • 371 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:30 PM

Bemused by the re-signing of Mills. People are saying near the end of the season he looked much better, but he was still terrible IMO.

#12 BROADEDDIE

BROADEDDIE
  • Coach
  • 154 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:52 PM

the reason a lot of players are leaving SL clubs, they have been told they are not required and advised to find another club, they do not have a choice in the matterlets hope some of these "cast offs" make it and come back to haunt thier original clubs

#13 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 379 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:49 PM

I have to say I too am not a fan of Mills - he just did not do enough often enough for me - sorry but thats my - I do hope he proves me wrong in the coming season.

Does anyone have any news on Morty - or have I missed something ?

#14 bigtony

bigtony
  • Coach
  • 122 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:53 AM

I have to say I too am not a fan of Mills - he just did not do enough often enough for me - sorry but thats my - I do hope he proves me wrong in the
Does anyone have any news on Morty - or have I missed something ?

i believe morty is off to oz with dale

#15 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

I have heard similar.

#16 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,581 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

Higson signed for Leigh according to Twitter

#17 parky

parky
  • Coach
  • 281 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:28 PM

Phil Joseph it appears is having trials with Widnes.

#18 Furryenzo

Furryenzo
  • Coach
  • 913 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:09 PM

Im not going to get all doom and gloom at this point, but I hope mac has something up his sleeve, because the way I see it, at the moment we have a very skinny squad that I wouldnt say has anywhere near the quality of last years. And there is relegation this year in case anyone forgot...

Edited by Furryenzo, 05 November 2012 - 01:09 PM.

#19 bigtony

bigtony
  • Coach
  • 122 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

Im starting to fear for swinton, only 16 players signed up and pre-season already underway a lot of the better players will be signed up by now.

#20 kitey

kitey
  • Players
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

Hurst gone to Broncos on months trial

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users