Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

signings

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 bigtony

bigtony
  • Coach
  • 122 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:37 PM

I to am worried i think it could turn into a relegation fighting season, i did say swinton missed an opportunity last season to build a squad to compete this season, but relied to much on d/r players

#42 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

I fully understand the loss of players, and as much as I dont like seeing our best players leave for pastures new, ive gotten used to it over the years. This does not concern me (too much). What does concern me is the fact we dont seem to have replaced them with anyone at all (better or worse). Regardless of the agecroft situation, which we fans are desperately needing updates (or reassurance, or whatever you want to call it), we still need a playing squad for next year!

With regards to alex hurst, as much as I admire his loyalty and his potential, he never really did it for me at swinton, but good luck to him, Broncos might be able to get the best out of him.

Also, what position is Kash Watkins and where did we get him from?

Kash Watkins played at Folly Lane as a junior. Was in Warrington's academy for a while, joined the Lions in 2007 and showed some promise playing at centre but it was only really a short term stop gap for him as he left after a few months and tried to make it with Leeds playing alongside Kallum.

In the end it didn't work out for him at Leeds, so in 2010 he signed for Oldham and was a fringe player at the Roughyeds, played mostly in the second row there as by then he'd put a bit more bulk on.

His next stop was Eccles ARLFC, he was playing there last season.
Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#43 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:08 PM

Very constructive use of the forum again PhilH. Do you have severe social skills which make you provoke argument in order to have some form of reply from other people?

Why amongst numerous comments from different people showing similar concerns at the strength of the current squad should only 1 be singled out?

#44 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:37 PM

Not one mention of the word struggle apart from your own. They all have an opinion of the squad thus far but without equating that to the new seasons struggle.

#45 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:41 AM

Why amongst numerous comments from different people showing similar concerns at the strength of the current squad should only 1 be singled out?

Dry your eyes Phil,after years and years maybe you could consider that whilst your content is often superb, your tone does not strike the right note with some.
You`re not shy at saying it as it is so expect the same in return.
There are many many threads that deteriorate into a bash the club and each other argument and its something I have consciously avoided for some time now.
As I said previously I started this thread to discuss new signings. Its not about planning permission. Its easy to start a new one just click "new topic" and Ive got the option then not to read it.

#46 bigtony

bigtony
  • Coach
  • 122 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

Adam walker as signed for hull kr

#47 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:48 AM

Amazing really look what I found from 51 weeks ago......
http://www.totalrl.c...-lacking-depth/

#48 Furryenzo

Furryenzo
  • Coach
  • 913 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:38 AM

Despite it being quite sad that you've found this mark :lol: it does raise a very valid point that we should all just probably have faith in Steve Mc. hes not let us down yet.
Im only smiling because `no-one`'s found the bodies yet.

#49 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

Despite it being quite sad that you've found this mark :lol: it does raise a very valid point that we should all just probably have faith in Steve Mc. hes not let us down yet.

I know I know....ha ha :D

I think its easy for us to get into a spiral of doubt and worry. I have eternal optimism and faith. Call it blind stupidity but I dont care.

#50 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

I thought "blind optimism (leading to stupidity)" was one of the tick box questions you had to choose to become a Swinton fan.

Maybe it was just me and you Mark.

#51 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

What is being overlooked is that aside from the 15/16 already signed up we have the choice of 5 players each week from Warrington that makes a squad total of 20/21. If the squad was to sign anymore players on, then at some point we would have lads who are not going to get games.

I have already said it but SM hasn't let us down yet and I doubt he'd start now.

Besides he strikes me the kind of man that if he wasn't receiving the backing from the club in terms of player quality or strength in depth then he would make sure his feelings were known.

#52 bigtony

bigtony
  • Coach
  • 122 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

What is being overlooked is that aside from the 15/16 already signed up we have the choice of 5 players each week from Warrington that makes a squad total of 20/21. If the squad was to sign anymore players on, then at some point we would have lads who are not going to get games.

I have already said it but SM hasn't let us down yet and I doubt he'd start now.

Besides he strikes me the kind of man that if he wasn't receiving the backing from the club in terms of player quality or strength in depth then he would make sure his feelings were known.

So what happens if you get 5/6/7 injuries to your 16 squad players

#53 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

You could say that every season though. We'd probably just sign a few more players.

I don't think the squad building is over yet though, so let's see what Steve can do.

#54 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:22 PM

I accept Tony you have that possibility of injuries but to get 5 or 6 all at the same time is unusual and pretty bad luck. As Bryce rightly says in that case you recruit. It would be much harder to keep players happy when they arn't playing.

#55 bigtony

bigtony
  • Coach
  • 122 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:47 PM

Think about it tho, there is 2 signed props (mills,holland) if these 2 get injured which for props there is a good chance what do u do, no one knows whats coming from warrington or how good they are and no doubt unproven.I recall SM saying he wanted his own squad which to me consist of at least 22/23 players plus d/r,i just worry that they have only been able to sign 16/17 players and are already into pre-season

#56 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

Dry your eyes Phil,after years and years maybe you could consider that whilst your content is often superb, your tone does not strike the right note with some.
You`re not shy at saying it as it is so expect the same in return.
There are many many threads that deteriorate into a bash the club and each other argument and its something I have consciously avoided for some time now.
As I said previously I started this thread to discuss new signings. Its not about planning permission. Its easy to start a new one just click "new topic" and Ive got the option then not to read it.

No tears in these quarters, other than those caused by laughter at Alan Marshall's latest attempt to paint my views as being extra-ordinarily negative, when a quick read of this string with any objectivity shows my feelings on recent departures and replacements are: a.) Not much different to his own take, and; b.) In line with the vast majority of other supporters.

Its a very strange school of thought indeed, that other people are allowed to express concern about the quality of the squad but this has no link to prospects for next season. Not forgetting that my words were speculative, when other contributors have used far more downbeat wording. Can a squad that "lacks quality (drastically)" ever be a good omen?

No credit given either for being the lone person that has a sincerly held belief the squad is better off for having David Mills in it for 2013, when plenty of others have continued to give this player dog's abuse despite a major improvement in performance towards the end of last season. Abuse that never gets singled out by Alan. Strange, that.

So who is being the aggressor here?

There can be no real doubt the squad has lost several of its regulars and biggest talents in Adam Higson, Tom Armstrong, Karl Ashall, Mike Morrison, Ian Mort, Alex Hurst, Dale Cunniffe. In terms of D/R we should remember the guys that come in from Warrington are replacing Carl Forster, Adam Walker et al. It isn't as though the 2012 squad had no D/R players. Those 2 were quality. It remains to be seen what type of player Warrington make available, whether they will chop and change frequently, etc.

In my view last season was a better time to try unproven talents, when there was no danger of relegation. Instead we had a relatively experienced team that ought to have won a lot more than 4 games. BUT I will be more accepting than most that the number 1 priority has to be getting that new ground, so if that requires a drop in playing budget for next year then "C'est la vie".

We have heard a lot more from Paul Kidd on signings recently. Dave Rotherham was widely reported as "Scotland coach" in the recent international series. I'm starting to wonder whether Steve McCormack is possibly struggling a bit to keep all the plates spinning, especially (as everyone knows) his dad was having serious health difficulties last season.

#57 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

Adam walker as signed for hull kr

My feeling is he will make it in Super League provided his luck with injuries improves. 3 year contract too, so it was the proverbial "no-brainer".

#58 GLENNGARY

GLENNGARY
  • Coach
  • 233 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

I don't think the squad is anywhere near as bad as is being made out. Lets first take a look at the players we have lost. Adam Higson, a good centre but we had to play half a season without him through injury which was a prblam he had at Leigh. Tom Armstrong, a player I considered overrated. Played as if he didn't know he had a winger on his outside and is defence was lacking. Morrison gave 100% but his size was against him and he found it hard going against the big championship props. Cunniffe played hard but was head strong but gave away a lot of points in penalties . Mort great goalkicker but but stuggled to bring a flair to his attackin the championship. The players we have retained were our best players from last year with a question mark against a couple who have it in them to raise there game. Now to the new boys, Ballard a class player at either wing or fullback , whose goal kicking rivals Mort but whose attacking and defending prowess far excedes Morts. Josh Barlow played centre for Scotland last week so must have something about him. Don't know anything about Hulme but have been told as tons of potential same with the centre signed from Warrington. Ihonestly can't see S M, signing players he didn't think could compete in the chamiponship also knowing we can't afford to be in a relegation battle. As i see it the team is coming along nicely albeit on the slow side Two props and maybe a nother second rower and we should be about right. As for the DR players it was stated at the meeting that Warrington and Steve would sit down together and decide on the players that would be used so i can't see there being any chopping and changing.

#59 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

I didn't single it out as you put it Phil because I agreed. Mills was a big disappointment for much of the season but credit where it's due he did get better in the later stages.
But ok if you feel you was treated badly and picked on I do apologise.

#60 Barnie

Barnie
  • Coach
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:05 PM

Sorry to be a bore but does anyone know anything of our latest signing Dan Birkett?
Dont worry, it will soon be Christmas!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users