Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * - - - 1 votes

Wales v England, Wrexham. 27/10/2012 K.O. 2.30pm

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#61 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:39 PM

Wales and Ireland always but always lose to the All Blacks. But the stadiums are always full.

How come when they know they will lose ?

But have some great tussles !

14 tries is a joke!!

Union fans love their rugby more than league fans........#### that hurts to type but it true, the attendances prove it.

#62 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:39 PM

The possesion in the second half must have been 80/20 and the Welsh just capitulated. People who know RL recognise this. In fairness to Wales it was not 40-0 after half an hour and England going through the motions. Wales had a real dig for the first 50 minutes and then fell apart.

Wales last year had Briers, White, Lennon and Emmitt in that squad. All those kids in Wales jersey will be better for it 12 months down the line. As for moaners, I actually thought England were superb in that second half. Is there any team in the world with back row options better than Burgess, Westwood, Ellis and Hock? Hope they are all fit for next year.

#63 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,783 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:40 PM

Wales and Ireland always but always lose to the All Blacks. But the stadiums are always full.

How come when they know they will lose ?

Something to do with P&R?

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#64 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,219 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:40 PM

just been looking at some of the comments on the various facebook pages of RL forums/websites.. jesus christ.. people just baffle me. life must be so unenjoyable and bloody miserable for some of these 'fans'.

Edited by EastLondonMike, 27 October 2012 - 03:43 PM.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#65 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,102 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

But have some great tussles !

14 tries is a joke!!

Union fans love their rugby more than league fans........#### that hurts to type but it true, the attendances prove it.

That's not the point, they know they will lose.

Your second point is sadly too true.

#66 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,219 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:43 PM

Union fans love their rugby more than league fans........#### that hurts to type but it true, the attendances prove it

I agree..

I enjoyed watching the game, even though we all knew it was going to be a stroll..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#67 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:44 PM

If a Premier League side wins 8-1 they will put it as first game on Match of the Day. If a RL side scores some spectacular tries and get 80 we say the game is dead. I am excited about the potential of this England side and they will give it a real dig next year.

I forcast that England will trounce the Exiles next year off the back of being together this autumn and will have a real chance in the WC.

Edited by Scubby, 27 October 2012 - 03:45 PM.

#68 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,244 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:19 PM

Wales last year had Briers, White, Lennon and Emmitt in that squad. All those kids in Wales jersey will be better for it 12 months down the line. As for moaners, I actually thought England were superb in that second half. Is there any team in the world with back row options better than Burgess, Westwood, Ellis and Hock? Hope they are all fit for next year.

This.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#69 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:23 PM

The problem is you dont see enormous scorelines like todays in the six nations despite the fact that Scotland are worse than Wales at RL.

There has been an intrinsic problem with our rules since we ditched the 5m rule and competitive scrums. The best team on paper generally wins and with a large margin. You only see close games when teams are VERY evenly matched. Shocks are rarer than rocking horse ####

To be fair though the England V Wales fixture cold be compared to England RU v Canada RU which would give you a similarly lopsided score.

#70 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,244 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:34 PM

To be fair though the England V Wales fixture cold be compared to England RU v Canada RU which would give you a similarly lopsided score.

I'm also trying to think of sports in which an England v Wales fixture would be anything other than an odds-on victory for England.

So far I've come up with rugby union and Welsh baseball.

Not that that makes lopsidedness in rugby league acceptable but, you know, one country has 50 million people and the other doesn't.
- Severus, July 2012

#71 L Bow

L Bow
  • Coach
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:39 PM

It would probably not be a lopsided score in football also. RL is a very unforgiving game where even small differences in class can lead to big scores.

#72 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:48 PM

The RFL I think are making a real effort with International RL, you can't please all the people all the time and it was very one sided, BUT we had another organised international tournament, live on BBC with an England team looking in decent form.

Everything takes time to build, and this comp may not be the best format or at the right time potentially, but surely better than no RL in Oct/Nov?

I think Richard Lewis was a real asset for RL before he went and the RLEF put the Aussie counterparts to shame. Versus 10 years ago Intetnational RL is on good helath, hopefully in ten years time it will be even stronger!
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#73 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,244 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:49 PM

It would probably not be a lopsided score in football also.

I've just looked this up: England have played Wales 44 times since the end of World War 2 in competitive matches in football (qualifiers and home nations rather than friendlies).

Wales have won four times. In the four matches played this century they haven't even scored a goal.

So not lop-sided but not exactly competitive either.
- Severus, July 2012

#74 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,292 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:13 PM

Good performance by England in my opinion. Lots of promise from Wales, though and Ian Millward was complimentary about the "structure".the way the Welsh team held their positions in attack and defence.He reckoned that Wales ptb was too slow which gave the England defence too much time.

on Radio Five Live just now, Harris reckoned Wales were out-muscled, too. To me they looked short in defence on both wings.

All round good show from England. Wales though, and England need more training together and playing together before the WC or they are in danger of forgetting what they have learned.

#75 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

Good performance by England in my opinion. Lots of promise from Wales, though and Ian Millward was complimentary about the "structure".the way the Welsh team held their positions in attack and defence.He reckoned that Wales ptb was too slow which gave the England defence too much time.

on Radio Five Live just now, Harris reckoned Wales were out-muscled, too. To me they looked short in defence on both wings.

All round good show from England. Wales though, and England need more training together and playing together before the WC or they are in danger of forgetting what they have learned.

Exactly, had England stepped off the gas and it would have finished 52-18 everyone would be slating McNamara and giving things a false persepctive. The coach obviously asked the team to go full on to the end and England played some fantastic stuff.

#76 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,167 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:50 PM

Why was the Four Nations not this year?

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#77 EdinburghExile

EdinburghExile
  • Coach
  • 586 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:53 PM

The Aussies didn't fancy it a year before the WC. If we must blame someone for this uneven tournament, that'd be a place to start.

#78 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,102 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:53 PM

Because the Aussies couldn't be arsed and the Kiwis declined a tour too.

This is the Aussies that have so many good players they could fill 3 or 4 squads.

#79 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:58 PM

I've just looked this up: England have played Wales 44 times since the end of World War 2 in competitive matches in football (qualifiers and home nations rather than friendlies).

Wales have won four times. In the four matches played this century they haven't even scored a goal.

So not lop-sided but not exactly competitive either.

Now just imagine what the Welsh record would be if they had just two semi-pro soccer clubs...
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#80 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 755 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:23 PM

It looked like Wales were unable to summon the intensity of the previous week; in Lens their defence was superb for 70 minutes, this week England could score at will. There were solid performances from the English forwards and it was good to see all the backs getting involved and making the most of their opportunities. The one disappointment was Myler who probably played himself out of the World Cup squad. Incidentally why were the BBC referring to Charnley scoring four tries on his England debut? Do they not regard the Exiles fixture as a proper cap?
www.twitter.com/flyingking2