TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
* * - - - 1 votes

Wales v England, Wrexham. 27/10/2012 K.O. 2.30pm

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
185 replies to this topic

#141 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,645 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:12 PM

a tour by png would have been of more use to england and france with wales playing in theother comp against scotland ect

Why would a PNG be better, I don't think PNG have ever won in the northern hemisphere.

Wales getting beat by the knights would demoralise them even more!

#142 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,645 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:19 PM

hear hear WELL SAID THAT MAIN

But France only just beat Wales. So your thoughts would be good PMJ

#143 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,990 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:42 PM

Why would a PNG be better, I don't think PNG have ever won in the northern hemisphere.

would love to see png tour but it would cost a ton of money and see pisspoor crowds http://www.rugbyleag...S15LS0tLS0tLQ==
Im sure the moaning nellies would have lauded it as a worthy developmental enterprise -not!
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#144 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:32 PM

Gareth Walker, despite being at an event nothing to do with RL (NFL @ Wembley) still felt he had to be negative about the England Wales game. And this bloke is a so called RL fan and journo.

#145 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:34 PM

Gareth Walker, despite being at an event nothing to do with RL (NFL @ Wembley) still felt he had to be negative about the England Wales game. And this bloke is a so called RL fan and journo.

and true to form Chris Irvine felt he had to join in slagging the RL event off.

#146 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:04 PM

a tour by png would have been of more use to england and france with wales playing in theother comp against scotland ect

People seem to forget that in 2010, Wales beat France to qualify for the 4 Nations in 2011. In 2011 Wales were no more disgraced than France were in 2009. Wales went into the France game with a genuine chance this year. The difference in class between Thomas Bosc and the Welsh half-backs was marked. Wales lost the game in a 10 minute spell before half-time. They weren't a million miles away. Had it been Briers against Bosc, it might have been different.

Ok Wales were below par this year. It happens. They need to man up next year and do better. Not scrap the whole thing.

And I don't think you just get on the phone and ring the PNG RFL and set up a test series. Good grief, it was only last year when Samoa (I think) pulled out of touring here at the last moment. We're not exactly talking about dealing with multi-million pound organisations here.

Come the World Cup we'll see them come out of the woodwork. Expect Pat Richards and Damien Blanch make themselves available for Ireland again. It's not exactly hard to find an Aussie playing rugby whose parents or grandparents were from either Ireland or Scotland.

#147 sgorpioncaerdyddrob

sgorpioncaerdyddrob
  • Coach
  • 359 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:52 PM

With respect PNG are hardly a step up in class compared to Wales, you can keep looking for ways around it but the reality of fact is this,

England,Australia and NZ are substantially ahead of all other International RL sides then come Wales and France in Europe and PNG down

South a fair way behind and then Scotland,Ireland,Samoa,Tonga,Fiji and Italy well behind that.That is what we are working with currently..... !

You can try playing all sorts of antipodeon,other nationalities,dream team combinations, but it won't change a thing.

Fans didn't support the Exiles games any more than they supported England v Wales in Leigh.You just have to face the facts and then we can try

and improve it, until then....

Edited by cardifcrusaderrob, 28 October 2012 - 07:55 PM.

CARDIFF CITY RUGBY LEAGUE FOOTBALL CLUB cardiffrugbyleague.com
BLUE BLUE BLUE DRAGONS!
Rygbi Gynghrair Cymru am byth

#148 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:53 PM

png players have improved leaps and bounds in the last few years and a number now play in the nrl and especially the queensland cup which is a pretty high standard and i belive they would be a better match for england and france and lets not forget last time england played png england were lucky to win .
as for crowds i dont thnik they would suffer as the game at wrexham did no exatly draw a massive crowd and i think more people would come out to see the kumuls if only for the novelty factor
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#149 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,645 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

png players have improved leaps and bounds in the last few years and a number now play in the nrl and especially the queensland cup which is a pretty high standard and i belive they would be a better match for england and france and lets not forget last time england played png england were lucky to win .
as for crowds i dont thnik they would suffer as the game at wrexham did no exatly draw a massive crowd and i think more people would come out to see the kumuls if only for the novelty factor

Maybe they've improved, as they don't tour we'll have to wait for the WC. Talking of the last time we played them in the WC England had major issues.

Now France over Wales, why on earth do people bang on about France , recent years Wales are on par with France. .. We're in the results business and Wales / France are close in the last 5/6 years...remember Wales made the four nations France didn't .

#150 matthew walker rl

matthew walker rl
  • Facebook
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

For people moaning about the attendances, here is a comparison.

5,233- Wales v Australia (4 Nations)
4,014- Wales v England (Autumn International Series)

I'll let you decide.......

#151 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,645 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:23 PM

England are ######

#152 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,378 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:34 PM

Anyone questioning the internationals should get all the tweets I've got from Scotland squad members. Despite losing both games they've all thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

We have to keep going and show some faith in International RL. Considering that the sport itrself demands (and gets) 100% commitment on the field, never giving up etc. we seem to be very brittle when it comes to sticking with something that doesn't immediately become a raging success.

If a team went 12-0 down after 10 minutes and walked off the field because they couldn't win we'd be rightly disgusted....
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#153 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,836 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:11 PM

Instead of trashtalking Iestyn Harris over the Wales performance, English fans should be bigging up their own team ... it oozed confidence and that can be vital in a game against NZ or Australia. It was also clinical in its finishing power.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#154 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,576 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:17 PM

A SL standard team playing a mainly U20/Championship standard team. Not surprising the result look many results in the cup featuring Sl v Championship teams. The problem is most of the Welsh lads are academy and championship players. England were ALL SL players. The fitness and quality is obviously going to come through. But the problem is not going to improve- in fact I think it will get worse! The SL clubs once again think only of themselves. They get rid of the U20s and dont see how important having academy and reserve grade is not just for them but the game as a whole. If every SL Club was forced to have U23, U20, U18 then there would be more chances for a Welsh born guy to come through the system and be properly trained. Even if he is not a first grader he would be getting near full time training.The future for a Welsh born youngster to get a place at a SL club is very bleak. The SL clubs should have the Overseas quota dropped to 1. This would give maybe some of the welsh guys a chance to play regular SL rugby instead of just being farmed out to a championship club like Danny Fleming or stuck in reserve grade. The game for me has to see decisions taken away from the clubs who rightly only vote for their benefit instead of seeing what damage their selfishness can do. If we want to have a Strong Wales/France/London then we have to upset the heartland clubs or clubs that want only what they want. Sl Clubs whether they like it or not play an important role not just in Englands National Team, but others as well. If the game wants a stronger International Scene away from NZ and Australia then for me the RFL needs to take hold of the game and make decisions that benefit the game as a whole especially Internationally and not allow the clubs to just be so selfish.

The Welsh no doubt gave everything and people forget how tough playing RL is especially against 2 Nations that have most or all of their squad playing in SL and have way more experience. I am sure even the heritage players are very proud to be playing for Wales. But the people running the game need to help them as much as possible. Getting smashed 80-12 hurts but if its a one off then people wont read too much in to it. However if its a 60 plus beating whenever Wales play England then it is no good. I sincerely hope Wales improve, especially for the WC but sadly cant see it happening

#155 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:20 PM

and true to form Chris Irvine felt he had to join in slagging the RL event off.

This is because, and I don't want to labour the point, of the essential ######tardness of many who claim to support RL.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#156 AndyMW

AndyMW
  • Players
  • 98 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:34 PM

I think England played really well and by and large the series has served its purpose so far, better for all the players to have a run out than not. The moaners will never be happy whatever formula is given them, been hearing the doom and grumbles for 37 years. The game's in much better health than when I started watching it.

Edited by AndyMW, 28 October 2012 - 09:34 PM.

#157 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,518 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:46 PM

This game, lets be honest, wasn't much cop as a contest. But it has done more good than the players being on holiday.

I can only dream that it somehow affects the Aussie side who will not have been really together for 2 years come the WC.

#158 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,271 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:13 PM

This game, lets be honest, wasn't much cop as a contest. But it has done more good than the players being on holiday.

I can only dream that it somehow affects the Aussie side who will not have been really together for 2 years come the WC.

Problem is Australias spine know eachothers game far too well. Slater Cronk and Smith are togetheer all season for melbourne, and Thurston can join in for fun as he does in origin. These 4 players are the difference between the sides. They get there forwards on the front foot and people start slating our forwards saying 'we said we could match the aussies in the forwards and time and time again we don't' this isn't true its because their half backs are a class apart. We do need to find a 6 and 7 combination to go with Tomkins and Roby and get them to know eachother well enough, problem is we keep swapping them about and when it comes to the big games they are out of ideas.

The game has been criticised, some of it fairly and some of it just trolling on the internet. But I don't know of any other suggestions which we could of played this winter. Wales were poor yes, but they will learn and come back stronger next year with more talent. I think people are making too big a fuss of the crowds, this next year is all about preparation for the 2013 WC. If we win the WC RL will get a lot of publicity, the media are very quick to publicise success, just look at how much coverage cycling got when Wiggins won or when the cricket test side got to world number one. Yes the crowds need to be good for the WC next year, but there will obviously be more effort put into marketing and selling the game next year.

I think we should have a 3 game exile series next year and do whatever we can to get the NRL players in the side, first two games should be about determining the strongest side and third game we should have our strongest 17 selected and let them build up abit of chemistry together. The most important position as I say is 6 and 7. We really need to get them sorted. The backline will pick themselves based on form. I'm starting to think Sinfield may have to be an option, fair enough he won't be a threat in attack but I think we have enough threat on the edges with strike players like Tomkins, Hock, Watkins and Burgess who could burst through the Aussie line. With him at 7 and Widdop at 6 I think we could have a decent half back combination as we have pretty much all aspects covered and if they know eachothers games enough and build up chemistry then we might stand a chance.

I was impressed with England yesterday and a lot of positive can be took from it. The crowd is irrelevant IMO as we are preparing for a massive year for the sport in the 2013 WC. We can let people write what they want on twitter ect but at the end of the day the game would of been slated no matter what the result. We have a lot of build up too next year, but I do think we have a chance next year we just have to back ourselves.

#159 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:14 PM

This is because, and I don't want to labour the point, of the essential ######tardness of many who claim to support RL.

:biggrin: well put!

#160 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:33 PM

What did he say?
I must have turned it off by then.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc