Photo
- - - - -

England v France 3rd Nov

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
239 replies to this topic

#201 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,125 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:06 PM

I was wearing my old France replica shirt.
- lamentable language skills of the car park staff at the ground.

You were positively cruel, even though she was a member of Hull KR's car park staff, I actually felt sorry for her.

Lee Radford rang me the other week....I knew Hull FC were a bit desperate but I had no idea it had got that bad.

#202 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,057 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

Very enjoyable day, meet-up and game. Memories?

- unique atmosphere of The Robin's Nest

It was, indeed, a good day. The atmosphere in the Robin's Nest was bizarre! Overpowering smell of vanilla mixed with stale booze and sweaty B.O. - Weird!

Sympathy for brooza - a missed rail connection caused me to arrive with just seconds to spare.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#203 ShotgunGold

ShotgunGold
  • Coach
  • 863 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

I think the intrduction lof the Catalans probably saved RL in France. Their league was in serious decline and attendances and playing strength were in serious trouble. No team got anywhere near the 9,000 plus average attendances the Catalans are getting and no French players were playing at SL standard. Now the French members of the Catalans team are. Young Frenchmen wanting to play RL now have an avenue to the top in Catalans. I think the numbers playing the game in France are increasing. Perhaps some of the members of the forum who know about the game in France can attest to the truth or otherwise of that.

Despite the setback yesterday, the French team seems better than it was. I think they failed to get out of their group in the last WC, so if they qualify for the quarter finals or, if they are lucky, the semi finals, then this will be significant progress. England, for all their recent failings , are still in the big three and deservedly so. The fact that England can still handily beat the French therefore is not surprising.

The French have to learn to walk before they can run. However the fact that they have been to two World Cup finals and won a test series in Australia ,long, long ago shows the latent talent available in France if it does not all go to RU.

That's a fair assessment.

Actually the French team came 10th in 2008, out of 10 teams.

This is why I think Carcassonne needs to be looked at, especially compared to Toulouse, Paris or 'Aude United'

+ There is already a club in the town with a rich history since 1938
+ There is already a decent sized stadium which the club already play in. (Stade d'Albert Domec)
+ Unlike in Perpignan, the Rugby Union club are in the second division and do not play in the Heineken Cup at all.
+ The club has already produced French international players recently like Teddy Sadaoui.
+ It would not completely desecrate the Elite One Championship, whereas an Aude United would do.
+ The town is near enough to Perpignan for there to be rivalry and added attendance but not too close for it to be detrimental (it's 50 miles between them)
+ The town is near enough for all other Super League teams to use the same travel and accomodation arrangements as they already do when visiting Perpignan.
+ The town is in League heartland territory (it will not be 'expansion') and is less than 20 miles away from both Lezignan and Limoux and is 40 miles from Toulouse, Castres and Narbonne.
+ It's the least riskiest strategy Rugby League has had in years - less riskier than Gateshead, less riskier than Wrexham, less riskier than Bridgend, less riskier than London, less riskier than Toulouse and less riskier than Paris!!

Get them in and we could be seeing France actually beating England in a few years time.

Edited by ShotgunGold, 04 November 2012 - 04:17 PM.

#204 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,062 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

Are Carcassonne expressing any interest in making a SL application ?

#205 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,407 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

The Refs are decided by a three man panel in the 4 Nations.
I think if the game was referred the same in England, Australia and at Test level you would not see any issues.

Four Nations 2009
Oct 31st 2009 Game 2 England 16 Australia 26 S. Ganson Wigan
Nov 14th 2009 Final England 16 Australia 46 L. Williamson Leeds

Four Nations 2010
Oct 31st 2010 Game 2 Australia 34 England 14 T. Archer Melbourne
Nov 13th 2010 Final Australia 12 New Zealand 16 T. Archer Brisbane

Four Nations 2011
Nov 5th 2011 Game 4 England 20 Australia 36 H. Perenara London
Nov 19th 2011 Final England 8 Australia 30 M. Cecchin Leeds

Just make sure the Video Ref is not English eh..... that can be costly if your an Aussie.
:)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
After Elland Road in 2009 I don't know how you dare. There was an Aussie ref sat next to the English video ref and it was clear from the time taken that he was questioning every decision and changing some of them.

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#206 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,543 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

Wasn't Henry Perenara in charge of the 2011 4N Final? :unsure:

#207 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

Great day out, with grand company and a fairly decent game.

The day will linger with me for some time - the odour in the Robins Nest will sadly last years!

Had to laugh at the floodlighting being on on what was probably the sunniest & brightest day of the year :)

Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#208 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,756 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

You were positively cruel, even though she was a member of Hull KR's car park staff, I actually felt sorry for her.

I should apologise, really. On the plus side for me at least,, she didn't hit me.

#209 brooza

brooza
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:20 AM

That Sinfield has to play out of position to fill a half back shortage just shows how weak we are.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Sinfield been playing there all year?
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#210 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,756 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:46 AM

I thought were looked pretty strong. Big, strong and mobile forwards, fast and physical centres and wings I thought Myler was OK but I'd rather see McIlorum at acting half back..its a wast having fast and tricky players like Tomkins and Myler in that position just tossing the ball to the next player.

#211 Marty Funkhouser

Marty Funkhouser
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

I really enjoy my international RL however this game was like watching paint dry. Really just a glorified friendly and the French seemed to treat it as such.

I remember when every game against the French was a battle and whilst we generally won the scores were much closer. The modern ,sanitised ,10 metre version of Rugby League does not seem to suit the French at all.

We now do have some genuinely top class players in the team, the forwards look as strong as ever especially when Burgess, Roby and Graham are available. Watkins, Hall and Tomkins are sublime talents in the backs but the dearth of half backs is our achilles heel. Whilst Myler is good at what he does he is not a scrum half per se and to have everything thrust upon Sinfield is not going to provide the break through we need against the Green and Golds. We are still waiting for someone to match the level of Andy Gregory who probably our last very top class scrum half although Goulding and Long had their occasional days.

Perhaps this needs addressing by the RFL , an elite coaching camp set up to promote the virtues of dominant half back play. The Australians , and Kiwis to an extent ,seem to have no problem reeling them off but we seem to be struggling to provide the next Murphy, Millward, Myler , Gregory or even Schofield. It pretty much shows the dearth of them coming through when Wigan are having to sign ex Saints and NRL fringe players to fill their spots and our best team of recent times using a loose forward in the halves with great success.

Looking forward to the World Cup but with expectations set firmly at nil.

#212 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,543 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:24 AM

Watched this last night on record and even though I knew the result and had read a few slatings of it on twitter etc, I wasn't expecting much. It wasn't all that bad though.

Its definitely better than not having any games, regardless of what the clever dicks say.

#213 IM2

IM2
  • Coach
  • 907 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

i thought it was good

Season Tickets 2014
- �85 - season ticket
- �125 - family ticket
- �30 - 4 game pack

skolars shop here:
http://www.skolarsrl.../match-tickets/

Haringey Team of the Year 2014 Skolars U19s

Haringey Club of the year 2011
London RL Club of the year 2011

Skolars if Carlsberg made rugby clubs! Perhaps Leagues most progressive club!

#214 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

Are Carcassonne expressing any interest in making a SL application ?

I dont think its on their agenda at the moment. They're quite close to the Dragons. They've already hosted Catalans at Domec in their first season and I keep asking people why they don't host a game again especially as Domec's had a face lift and looks good. Capacity now 10,500. For me the best run club in France after the Dragons. They are inviting the Dragons to some type of gala evening I think before Xmas.

But they're just too close geographically to Perpignan aren't they. Catalans have official supporters groups around Carcassonne. Lots of cars around town display both ASC & Dragons stickers. People in the know say its Toulouse next up. Even if that failed I'd still go next up to Provence and Avignon a good 2 hours by train from Perpignan. Another region & different market. Carcassonne-Aude-Tarn would be my next stop after that.

Edited by audois, 05 November 2012 - 02:09 PM.

si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#215 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,893 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

It was an okay game, but without the intensity or tension of a 'Big three' match-up. Here's hoping France learn from this match and up their game for the final. But the game in France needs a bigger talent pool of professional and semi-pro players, which a 2nd SL club would bring.

What would also be wonderful for the French game is more SL clubs taking a punt on talent from across the channel. It could be argued that the increase in Kiwis playing for Australian RL clubs has been as much of a factor in the RWC and 4 Nations wins as the creation of The Warriors - there is now loads of eligible talent to pick from.

An Aussie referee like Tony Archer would be rubbing his hands with glee at the thought of Hock having a few disciplinary brainfarts. And, let's face it, whoever's announced as neutral ref for our next match against the Kangaroos, pressure will be brought to bear 'til an Aussie is inevitably handed the job.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#216 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

I dont think having the Catalans in Super League is only to aid the national team. In their own right a positive addition to the competition. A wider and richer profile.SL is now seen on French television and reported on in 'L'Equipe' - the national sports daily. The hope here is that Bein Sport TV will in time invest more & more in the game. Through Catalans the game has been played in Spain in 2009. That year the RFL congratulated themselves that their elite competition was being played in England, Wales, France, Scotland & Spain. The game needs to have more of that.
si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#217 brooza

brooza
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

Ouch! Bad luck.

I don't suppose it will make you feel any better if I tell you we rolled up 5 minutes before kick off and still got tickets for the East Stand.

Not really!

I ended up costing me £25-30 to watch half of the match in the pub. I left at halftime as I'd dressed for standing outside in Hull and ended up nearly falling asleep due to how warm I was in the pub!
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#218 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:33 PM

Not really!

I ended up costing me £25-30 to watch half of the match in the pub. I left at halftime as I'd dressed for standing outside in Hull and ended up nearly falling asleep due to how warm I was in the pub!

:) :)
Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#219 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,243 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

It was an okay game, but without the intensity or tension of a 'Big three' match-up. Here's hoping France learn from this match and up their game for the final. But the game in France needs a bigger talent pool of professional and semi-pro players, which a 2nd SL club would bring.

What would also be wonderful for the French game is more SL clubs taking a punt on talent from across the channel. It could be argued that the increase in Kiwis playing for Australian RL clubs has been as much of a factor in the RWC and 4 Nations wins as the creation of The Warriors - there is now loads of eligible talent to pick from.

An Aussie referee like Tony Archer would be rubbing his hands with glee at the thought of Hock having a few disciplinary brainfarts. And, let's face it, whoever's announced as neutral ref for our next match against the Kangaroos, pressure will be brought to bear 'til an Aussie is inevitably handed the job.

you are harry potter and i claim my £5, just where are these players going to come from??
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#220 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:19 PM

you are harry potter and i claim my £5, just where are these players going to come from??

I've been asking this question for months on several occasions, I've never got an answer.