Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

England v France 3rd Nov

• Please log in to reply
239 replies to this topic

#221 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:24 PM

as if by magic they will appear.....................
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#222 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,767 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

I'm not claiming that they will magically appear out of the aether, and it is deliberately disingenuous to claim that I am, but:
  • There are players of good quality who, for personal or political reasons, will not sign for Catalans. Anyone who follows the news from France on TRL knows about the rivalries and tribalism involved.
  • There are semi-pro players who would improve under a full-time professional régime. Catalans have done this already. Even if it is just in terms of fitness, a French team that can compete for 80 minutes without wilting will be a better team.
  • There will be imports, which we all know isn't ideal, but the new franchise will have to be pragmatic.
  • There are the young, up-and-coming players. Catalans can't afford to sign every promising youngster, and those that don't get picked will, if they are any good, end up being poached by Union.
The last point will take time, but the longer it is put off, the longer it will take to achieve. But, no doubt, it will take less than a season for the Jonahs to say "it isn't working, FACT". :rolleyes:

Edited by Futtocks, 06 November 2012 - 10:28 AM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#223 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

Just on the way back from the game, thoughts......

5. The East Stand have some quality songs!

Thought the game lacked a bit of intensity and we were always going to win, but enjoyed seeing some live RL.

You're welcome! :)

We do make some daft stuff up. Personal favourite: 'You wat, you wat, you wat you wat you watkins!'.

#224 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

It was, indeed, a good day. The atmosphere in the Robin's Nest was bizarre! Overpowering smell of vanilla mixed with stale booze and sweaty B.O. - Weird!

Sympathy for brooza - a missed rail connection caused me to arrive with just seconds to spare.

The cleaners just threw a bucket of water over the flooring and now it is stale underneath. It stank of puke and has been noted!

#225 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:02 AM

Also caught up with HKR Away Days in the bar before the game. The future of Hull KR and RL in general is in good shape if people with his enthusiasm are involved with the game, top lad.

Hi OF,

It was a pleasure to met you, John and Rob.

The Movember 'tashe is coming along, although it does need a bit of work. Will have to catch up with you for a pint in Cross Keys next season. All the best.

#226 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,993 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:48 PM

Hi OF,

It was a pleasure to met you, John and Rob.

The Movember 'tashe is coming along, although it does need a bit of work. Will have to catch up with you for a pint in Cross Keys next season. All the best.

Good stuff, although I'm the one called Rob and the mouthy one you thought was called Rob is actually called Roy.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#227 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

Good stuff, although I'm the one called Rob and the mouthy one you thought was called Rob is actually called Roy.

Sorry mate, a typo, I mean't Roy!! :)

#228 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:04 PM

I'm not claiming that they will magically appear out of the aether, and it is deliberately disingenuous to claim that I am, but:

• There are players of good quality who, for personal or political reasons, will not sign for Catalans. Anyone who follows the news from France on TRL knows about the rivalries and tribalism involved.
  • There are semi-pro players who would improve under a full-time professional régime. Catalans have done this already. Even if it is just in terms of fitness, a French team that can compete for 80 minutes without wilting will be a better team.
  • There will be imports, which we all know isn't ideal, but the new franchise will have to be pragmatic.
  • There are the young, up-and-coming players. Catalans can't afford to sign every promising youngster, and those that don't get picked will, if they are any good, end up being poached by Union.
The last point will take time, but the longer it is put off, the longer it will take to achieve. But, no doubt, it will take less than a season for the Jonahs to say "it isn't working, FACT". :rolleyes:

spout all you want mate, surely we should be concentrating on a strong england team.......just face the facts the french are just not good enough and live with it!!!!!
perhaps if catalans didn't spend so much on imports they would be able to sign the promising young french players as alexander orlov says................................................simples.

Edited by Viking Warrior, 07 November 2012 - 10:06 PM.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#229 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:37 AM

Supporting France IS developing a strong England team.

We have the players, we need to opposition to test us regularly.

Don't you get it?

#230 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,305 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:36 AM

Supporting France IS developing a strong England team.

its certainly a part of it. A regular and reliable programme of Internationals is important for media attention and spectator interest, helps challenge the weaker national teams and provides a much needed opportunity for teams like England to train together and play together as well as providing an opportunity for players to compete for selection.

I'd like to see some more games squeezed in somehow between now and the WC, which is a year away. too big a gap.

#231 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,767 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:48 AM

spout all you want mate

Charming - not sure why I bother discussing things if that's the best I get back.

surely we should be concentrating on a strong england team.......

I think we should be concentrating on strengthening the sport as a whole, and France need improvement even more than England.

just face the facts the french are just not good enough and live with it!!!!!

Resign ourselves to the international scene never getting any better, ever? Great idea! You go straight on to Garry Schofield's Christmas card list.

perhaps if catalans didn't spend so much on imports they would be able to sign the promising young french players

So you didn't even bother reading points 1 and 4, then?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#232 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 498 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

I'd like to see Toulouse in for next season as all clubs struggle in their first season so they may as well get it over with now. The chance of showing an all French derby game would be enough to get a profitable TV deal for the French.
waddell

#233 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:45 PM

so you want a club that couldn't hack it in the championships and received regular drubbings home and away given a place in super league? they were dreadful and their ground although pretty is about the standard of your average cc1 club..............

#234 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,305 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:58 AM

Like Widnes?

#235 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

Like Widnes?

Touche :D :D
Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#236 ShotgunGold

ShotgunGold
  • Coach
  • 858 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

I dont think its on their agenda at the moment. They're quite close to the Dragons. They've already hosted Catalans at Domec in their first season and I keep asking people why they don't host a game again especially as Domec's had a face lift and looks good. Capacity now 10,500. For me the best run club in France after the Dragons. They are inviting the Dragons to some type of gala evening I think before Xmas.

But they're just too close geographically to Perpignan aren't they. Catalans have official supporters groups around Carcassonne. Lots of cars around town display both ASC & Dragons stickers. People in the know say its Toulouse next up. Even if that failed I'd still go next up to Provence and Avignon a good 2 hours by train from Perpignan. Another region & different market. Carcassonne-Aude-Tarn would be my next stop after that.

How many Carcassonne fans actually make the journey to Perpignan though??

Consider how many Super League teams are so geographically close in the UK, could that not be the same for France.

I just think getting two heartland clubs up and running in SL (Perpignan and Carcassonne) would be easier than getting one heartland and one expansion club (Perpignan and Toulouse)

Edited by ShotgunGold, 10 November 2012 - 04:07 PM.

#237 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:08 PM

You're welcome! :)

We do make some daft stuff up. Personal favourite: 'You wat, you wat, you wat you wat you watkins!'.

That was quite good, but my favourite was the Sinfield vs Tomkins song to the tune of No Limit! Low point was the Jimmy Saville one ....!
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#238 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,993 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

Low point was the Jimmy Saville one ....!

Bit childish wasn't it...

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#239 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

The Sinfield/Tomkins one was my brother's idea. I don't remember a Jimmy Saville one, although the John Barnes rap was quite funny!

#240 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:05 AM

Like Widnes?

have you got a thing about widnes? did someone from the town run off with your missus or something?, mind you keep talking about us all you want, we are here and we are here to stay....................