Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Let's big up England a bit

Exciting times

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,673 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:13 PM

This England side did not play today

1. Sam Tomkins
2. Tom Briscoe
3. Ryan Atkins
4. Jack Reed
5. Chris Riley

6. Gareth Widdop
7. Danny Brough

8. James Graham
9. James Roby
10. Luke Burgess
11. Ben Westwood
12. Chris Heighington
13. Sam Burgess

14. Rangi Chase/Danny McGuire/Jonny Lomax
15. Liam Farrell
16. Ben Harrison
17. Danny Houghton

Does this mean we have actually got some competition for places?

#2 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:15 PM

It means we can put out 2 or 3 sides to beat the Aussies. ;)

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#3 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:14 PM

1. Sam Tomkins
2. Tom Briscoe
3. Ryan Atkins
4. Jack Reed
5. Chris Riley

6. Gareth Widdop
7. Danny Brough

8. James Graham
9. James Roby
10. Luke Burgess
11. Ben Westwood
12. Chris Heighington
13. Sam Burgess

15. Liam Farrell
16. Ben Harrison
17. Danny Houghton

Add Ratchford to that list.

The depth of talent and competition for places is looking good, although the games against Australia and NZ will be the real test.

#4 faz'_nose

faz'_nose
  • Coach
  • 326 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:04 PM

1. Sam Tomkins
2. Tom Briscoe
3. Ryan Atkins
4. Jack Reed
5. Chris Riley

6. Gareth Widdop
7. Danny Brough

8. James Graham
9. James Roby
10. Luke Burgess
11. Ben Westwood
12. Chris Heighington
13. Sam Burgess

15. Liam Farrell
16. Ben Harrison
17. Danny Houghton

Yes.

#5 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,624 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:08 PM

The headline sports item on the BBC national news just now: this game.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#6 snapski

snapski
  • Coach
  • 922 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:25 PM

You better believe if Rangi Chase is fit, he will be starting.

#7 DimmestStar

DimmestStar
  • Players
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:30 PM

Yes there is no doubt England could field 2 or 3 teams equally capable of losing to Australia.

We are in the period of denial that follows the period of navel gazing that follows the beatings.

#8 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 596 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:31 PM

1. Sam Tomkins
2. Tom Briscoe
3. Ryan Atkins
4. Jack Reed
5. Chris Riley

6. Gareth Widdop
7. Danny Brough

8. James Graham
9. James Roby
10. Luke Burgess
11. Ben Westwood
12. Chris Heighington
13. Sam Burgess

15. Liam Farrell
16. Ben Harrison
17. Danny Houghton

Thats a pretty impressive team thats missing ,if i was a betting man i'd bet it would beat the England team that played today

#9 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:33 PM

I am not sure how Chris Riley got into the first selection, but I agree we had plenty if talent not playing today. I am much more confident about our prospects after today. Sinny looked completely at home for once, and Watkins looked superb. Hardaker gives us something extra. He did appear to drop the only high ball that came his way, but I must have imagined that, because surely an England full back dropping a kick would have lead to page after page of comment.

#10 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,673 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:49 PM

I am not sure how Chris Riley got into the first selection, but I agree we had plenty if talent not playing today. I am much more confident about our prospects after today. Sinny looked completely at home for once, and Watkins looked superb. Hardaker gives us something extra. He did appear to drop the only high ball that came his way, but I must have imagined that, because surely an England full back dropping a kick would have lead to page after page of comment.

Riley is only in there as he was in the Knights squad. Could have put in Broughton or Ratchford. What it shows is that when everyone is fit we are going to have to pick on form. I was really impressed with the guys that turned out today. If we can get the half-back combination right then we have potentially our best back line for 15+ years. Having Burgess, Westwood, Ellis and Hock fighting over back row places isn't too shabby either.

#11 Emosi Koloto

Emosi Koloto
  • Coach
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:54 PM

Also i would add Crabtree to the above list of players who didn't play v Wales but would be an option for the top England squad.
Everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

#12 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 596 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:01 PM

Also i would add Crabtree to the above list of players who didn't play v Wales but would be an option for the top England squad.

yeah forgot about him,obviously its doubtful all would be fit/available for the WC,but the pool of players SM has at his disposal is very encouraging

#13 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:02 AM

Yes there is no doubt England could field 2 or 3 teams equally capable of losing to Australia.

We are in the period of denial that follows the period of navel gazing that follows the beatings.

Be fair, 10 years ago, we could have put 1 side out that would lose to Australia in the last 15 minutes and 2 that would lose to Australia in the first 15 minutes.

We now have 2 sides capable of losing to Australia in the last 15 minutes.

#Progress

Cummins Out.

#14 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:25 AM

Be fair, 10 years ago, we could have put 1 side out that would lose to Australia in the last 15 minutes and 2 that would lose to Australia in the first 15 minutes.

We now have 2 sides capable of losing to Australia in the last 15 minutes.

#Progress

What about the previous 20 years that never won either?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#15 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:10 AM

Why are you people even commenting? Either it's flat out trolling or you don't actually give a monkeys about these internationals

In either case why not sod off.

#16 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,673 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:54 AM

Why are you people even commenting? Either it's flat out trolling or you don't actually give a monkeys about these internationals

In either case why not sod off.

I care about Internationals more than I do the club game. I don't live near a SL club so, for me, England is my team. This thread is to highlight how many tools McNamara now has at his disposal. If everyone is fit we have got our best squad since the early 1990s. This is good news - why make any more of it?

I can't wait for Saturday's game and hope France give England a fright. If they don't I will be rubbing my hands waiting for England to try and knock off the Aussies at Cardiff next October.

#17 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:44 AM

As posted a few days ago

http://www.totalrl.c...m/page__st__120

Arguably a better England team sat on the sidelines today.

Tomkins
Briscoe
Atkins
Reed
Broughton
Widdop
Brough
Crabtree
Roby
Graham
Westwood
S Burgess
Harrison

Ratchford/Lomax
Farrell
Carvell
L Burgess

Edited by OMEGA, 29 October 2012 - 09:48 AM.

#18 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,151 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:56 AM

i think our potential forward pack looks awesome, with players like Sam Burgess, James Graham, James Roby, Gareth Hock, Gareth Ellis, Sean O'Loughlin, Ben Westwood and Michael Mcilorum.. throw in support from the likes of Crabtree, Mossop, LMS, JJB, Luke Burgess, Chris Heighington..

We are looking in pretty good shape.. and in any other era we would be shouting from the rooftops about the potential of our backs too.. its only when you compare them to the awesome back line Australia has at its disposal that a few of their short falls become more apparent. That being said, i still think we have some awesome potential in our backs.

Sam Tomkins, Kallum Watkins and Tom Briscoe could be as good as any..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#19 AuroraXIII

AuroraXIII
  • Coach
  • 137 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:11 PM

For all the talk of Origin games, Exiles etc, as a way of testing the players, I'd genuinely like to see the side that didn't play against the side that did. Not likely to happen, but as an old-fashioned Probables v Possibles test trial it should shape up to be a cracker.

#20 Mushy

Mushy
  • Coach
  • 287 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:12 PM

As ever on the forum things are either brilliant or awful. England are never without hope against NZ and Aus despite what some people suggest, although we have under performed horrifically in recent years. That being said, we have played some guys are are some way off intentational pace (4N down under, Exiles). However, the performance against Wales was very good and very well balanced, with enough players who looked every bit international class. England can win the world cup on home soil, although this team would only be perhaps joint second favourites in the comp. A fully fit squad and a couple more players to step up to world class and we would be even better placed of course, and don't forget we only need to win two crunch games next year to lif the cup! Bring it on!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users