Exciting times

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,723 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:18 PM

As ever on the forum things are either brilliant or awful. England are never without hope against NZ and Aus despite what some people suggest, although we have under performed horrifically in recent years. That being said, we have played some guys are are some way off intentational pace (4N down under, Exiles). However, the performance against Wales was very good and very well balanced, with enough players who looked every bit international class. England can win the world cup on home soil, although this team would only be perhaps joint second favourites in the comp. A fully fit squad and a couple more players to step up to world class and we would be even better placed of course, and don't forget we only need to win two crunch games next year to lif the cup! Bring it on!

Agreed 100%.

#22 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:59 AM

As ever on the forum things are either brilliant or awful. England are never without hope against NZ and Aus despite what some people suggest, although we have under performed horrifically in recent years. That being said, we have played some guys are are some way off intentational pace (4N down under, Exiles). However, the performance against Wales was very good and very well balanced, with enough players who looked every bit international class. England can win the world cup on home soil, although this team would only be perhaps joint second favourites in the comp. A fully fit squad and a couple more players to step up to world class and we would be even better placed of course, and don't forget we only need to win two crunch games next year to lif the cup! Bring it on!

If England are to really challenge in the WC the first choice team hopefully will bear little resemblance to the one aginst Wales - If that team takes the field against the Aussies or Kiwi's they're in for a real hammering.

Tomkins is a cert for the full back role you would think, We've got a choice of some decent wingers to compete with the best in Hall, Briscoe & Charnley. Watkins is the only centre in the current squad with the potential to match it with the best but seriously needs to work on his defence, and you would think Reed would be the logical choice for the other. Forget about the halves we have no-one anywhere near International class and the chance on unearthing anyone in the next 12 months is unlikely.
If England are to really stand a chance they need to play to their strenghts which for me is the pack. Burgess, Roby, Graham, Ellis, Westwood, Hock, Crabtree, O'Loughlin can all match it with the best the other nations can put out and Hill looks like he's ready to take that next step up as well

#23 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,257 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

We have Widdop who is international class.

#24 brooza

brooza
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:26 AM

This may be controversial, but I'm actually feeling quite confident about next year. I'm sure that we can make it to the final, and possibly even win
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#25 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

We have Widdop who is international class.

I wouldn't say he is just yet. He's had 2 pretty good seasons at the Storm as a 1st team regular but the role he has there is likely to be somewhat different to the one he may have to play for England. Smith & Cronk do all the organising & kicking at the storm and Widdop is very much a link & support player. He hasn't successfully managed to take on those extra responsibilities for the storm at Origin time so it remains to be seen whether he can do it for England.
Having said that he would still be my 1st choice for the number 6 shirt

#26 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,257 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

I also think we can. The Aussies are only better in a few key positions that's it, they arnt supermen. Player by player in the forwards I think we cancel eachother out.

Graham and Gallen get through similar amounts of work. Taylor and Thaiday vs Ellis and Westwood cancel eachother out also. Sam Burgess is probably slightly better than Shillington whilst Luke Lewis is better than O Loughlin. So we don't do to bad there.

Then we have lots of young strike players who could do a lot of damage and will only get better in the coming season. Widdop and Reed will have another season in the NRL which will likely develop there games even more. Then how good will Briscoe, Tomkins, Hardaker, Watkins, Charnley, Ratchford, Broughton, Dixon or even Ward be with another season under there belts. All these players will have the ability to post points against the Aussies as all are exciting players.

On home turf with decent support and with everything clicking we can definitely win it. Fair enough we don't have the same strength in depth as Australia but our first teams arnt far off, plus we've already proven we can beat NZ. We just need to back ourselves.

Edited by barrowraiderskid, 01 November 2012 - 12:14 PM.

#27 brooza

brooza
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

Tomkins is a cert for the full back role you would think

Hopefully not.

I'm fine with him playing, but I want Hardaker to be pushing him for the position!
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#28 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,257 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

I wouldn't say he is just yet. He's had 2 pretty good seasons at the Storm as a 1st team regular but the role he has there is likely to be somewhat different to the one he may have to play for England. Smith & Cronk do all the organising & kicking at the storm and Widdop is very much a link & support player. He hasn't successfully managed to take on those extra responsibilities for the storm at Origin time so it remains to be seen whether he can do it for England.
Having said that he would still be my 1st choice for the number 6 shirt

I realise that, he plays similar to how Danny Mcguire has done for Leeds. His kicking game isn't bad, but not on the same level as Cronk and Smith so therefore rarely gets the chance. His passing game is pretty much spot on, he can also beat a man and has half decent pace. I feel with another season he will be there ready to take them on and won't be afraid of Thurston and Smith ect. He's a much better player than Chase and Lomax ect though.

#29 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

Strangely our best halfback has been ignored for some reason

#30 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,597 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:00 PM

No, Danny McGuire still needs rehab on his injured knee.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#31 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

And who might that be ?

#32 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,597 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

And who might that be ?

Clues;played for Scotland,changed allegiance back to England,plays for Huddersfield.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 01 November 2012 - 02:41 PM.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#33 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:49 PM

Will there be neutral refs for ALL games in the World Cup or will the Aussies cry and moan until they get one of their pet refs?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users