• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,169 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:06 PM

http://www.nwemail.c...ath=home/2.4892

Apparently the Barrow clubs are fed up of travelling to Lancashire lots with few home games happening in return and the West Cumbria teams want more strength in depth than Cumberland division 1 can provide.

The following are rumoured to be the likely participants:

5 West Cumbria sides:
Cockermouth Titans
Distington
Glasson Rangers
Maryport
Seaton Rangers

5 Barrow sides:
Barrow Island
Dalton
Roose Pioneers
Ulverston
Walney Central

Seems a positive development if it happens (seems likely) and appears to be genuinely a local move rather than imposed by either the RFL or BARLA

#2 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:18 PM

This I think has came from a steering group that consists two RFL guys (Ant Atherton and Alan Davidson), Barrow league and CARLA and West Cumbria youth who from the outside looking in seem to get on great. It looks the league will get off the ground and wont be subject to the RFL/BARLA politics.

This is a vital step forward in finding everyone a level of rugby league to play and enjoy within the county

Edited by gillmeister, 27 October 2012 - 08:23 PM.

Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#3 shawy13

shawy13
  • Coach
  • 242 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:27 PM

Not quite how I understand it Bowes

#4 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,169 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

Not quite how I understand it Bowes

Okay looks like I was wrong about it not coming from the RFL (though a Cumbria League was originally a BARLA idea that never lasted IIRC) though still looks like they'll happily work with the RFL and BARLA? Which seems positive.

What are Hindpool's reasons for sitting out and what are your plans instead?

#5 shawy13

shawy13
  • Coach
  • 242 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:42 PM

We haven't decided to join or sit out

#6 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,169 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:45 PM

We haven't decided to join or sit out

Fair enough I was just going on what was in the article but I'll take your word over its.

#7 shawy13

shawy13
  • Coach
  • 242 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:48 PM

You don't wanna believe anything written in the NWEM. A few years ago they printed something about Hindpool doing a tour of Siberia

#8 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:00 PM

Okay looks like I was wrong about it not coming from the RFL (though a Cumbria League was originally a BARLA idea that never lasted IIRC) though still looks like they'll happily work with the RFL and BARLA? Which seems positive.

What are Hindpool's reasons for sitting out and what are your plans instead?

In all fairness the "RFL" involvement is through a superb guy who also does massive ammounts for Wigan St Pats and a fella who was involved in the grassroots, BARLA coaching etc before he got a job with the RFL so they are men who just want the amateur game to do well with no other motive for it doing so

#9 usain bolt

usain bolt
  • Coach
  • 948 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:02 AM

http://www.nwemail.c...ath=home/2.4892

Apparently the Barrow clubs are fed up of travelling to Lancashire lots with few home games happening in return and the West Cumbria teams want more strength in depth than Cumberland division 1 can provide.

The following are rumoured to be the likely participants:

5 West Cumbria sides:
Cockermouth Titans
Distington
Glasson Rangers
Maryport
Seaton Rangers

5 Barrow sides:
Barrow Island
Dalton
Roose Pioneers
Ulverston
Walney Central

Seems a positive development if it happens (seems likely) and appears to be genuinely a local move rather than imposed by either the RFL or BARLA

summer season march to october ish or winter season september to april ish?

#10 Gonch

Gonch
  • Coach
  • 349 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:10 PM

We tend to get on with things up here and try to do what's best for everyone with the odd spat here and there. As gilly says Ant seems a genuine guy who helps a lot.
We try to keep out of the Barla/Rfl stuff
We're Cumbria we do what our clubs want

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

#11 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,169 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:34 PM

We tend to get on with things up here and try to do what's best for everyone with the odd spat here and there. As gilly says Ant seems a genuine guy who helps a lot.
We try to keep out of the Barla/Rfl stuff
We're Cumbria we do what our clubs want

I think the fact that the clubs both play BARLA's Cumbria Cup and the RFL's Community Shield is telling. Best way to be IMO. If everywhere thought like Cumbria the game would be much better

#12 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:50 PM

I think the fact that the clubs both play BARLA's Cumbria Cup and the RFL's Community Shield is telling. Best way to be IMO. If everywhere thought like Cumbria the game would be much better

Why has the game gone down the road it's at now.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#13 Gonch

Gonch
  • Coach
  • 349 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:58 PM

You really are strange marauder are you trying to change a Cumbria thread into another us and them diatribe butt out of this one

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

#14 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:04 PM

You really are strange marauder are you trying to change a Cumbria thread into another us and them diatribe butt out of this one

No I'm not on either account, but some people seem to think the Cumbrians are not longer part of BARLA just because they have decided to trial the summer season.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#15 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:34 PM

On this one I think Cumbria get the best of both worlds as we are still very much part of BARLA and have guys who really do fight our corner on that front but also have good guys locally from the RFL all of whom care about the grass roots first and foremost the only downside being those higher up the RFL food chain charged with identifying the elite

Everyone is just focused on the rugby rather than being bogged down in politics and thats how it should be...

#16 Gonch

Gonch
  • Coach
  • 349 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 06:48 PM

Correct Gilly lad that's the only issue up here

#17 LeeF

LeeF
  • Coach
  • 850 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:50 PM

On this one I think Cumbria get the best of both worlds as we are still very much part of BARLA and have guys who really do fight our corner on that front but also have good guys locally from the RFL all of whom care about the grass roots first and foremost the only downside being those higher up the RFL food chain charged with identifying the elite

Everyone is just focused on the rugby rather than being bogged down in politics and thats how it should be...

Out of interest were there more matches defaulted this summer than the last winter season?
I noticed that Red Rose folded and Seaton missed some first team matches and both are considered top teams

#18 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:56 PM

Saturday was the first game Seaton have defaulted on this season and was a dead rubber. Were struggling more now because our lads are maimly family men who are wanting to do overtime etc at the weekend. The game in West Cumbrias been struggling for ages and our mid season break was too long so id say the ammount of call offs are about the same as they were in winter

#19 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,169 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:25 PM

Saturday was the first game Seaton have defaulted on this season and was a dead rubber. Were struggling more now because our lads are maimly family men who are wanting to do overtime etc at the weekend. The game in West Cumbrias been struggling for ages and our mid season break was too long so id say the ammount of call offs are about the same as they were in winter

Were most of the called off games after the midsummer break?

#20 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:51 PM

On a personal level as a club we had two teams operating in the first division, however injuries didnt help and the six week break has made it really difficult to get people motivated again. The decision to call all games off for Cumbria v South sydney ambassadors was ridiculous aswell - Some clubs have had more than one prolonged break in our season BUT lessons have been learned and we will move forward and do it better next year

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users