Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

New Cumbria League next season?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:19 PM

most of the league games were called off after the summer break, there were cup games called off in the first half of the season but they tended to be games that on paper looked to be one-sided. Salterbeck would probably have finished the season if they had played right through but were reliant all season on rugby union players making up the numbers, so the chances are they wouldn't have started at all if we had stayed in winter, similar problems for Hensingham as well as they seemed to be sharing players with St. Benedicts and Whitehaven rugby union sides.
Looking at the league table Seaton Rangers, Hensingham, Glasson A and Egremont all forfeited their last league game when there was nothing to play for. Broughton, Seaton and Hensingham were the only first teams to throw games.
The break was too long and I've noticed on this forum that some posters seem to think a break will be the answer to their problems, they should talk to the Cumbrian clubs as they will probably argue against having the break if they go with this next season.

#22 LeeF

LeeF
  • Coach
  • 782 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

It seems to support the argument that players (and fans) want regular games ie every week without breaks

It's a shame that clubs like Seaton, Hensingham and Broughton Red Rose have struggled for players. Hopefully they can all bounce back

#23 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,764 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:28 PM

It seems to support the argument that players (and fans) want regular games ie every week without breaks

It's a shame that clubs like Seaton, Hensingham and Broughton Red Rose have struggled for players. Hopefully they can all bounce back

I think that was one of the problems with the Yorkshire league.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#24 LeeF

LeeF
  • Coach
  • 782 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:38 PM

I think that was one of the problems with the Yorkshire league.

That and poor management

#25 bazza_merged

bazza_merged
  • Coach
  • 645 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:15 PM

would spreading 2 rounds over 4 or 5 weeks be a better option then a straight break.
Teams could use this time to re-arrange any postponed fixtures as well

#26 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

I think the proposed fixtures allow for the odd week break and it seems they have allowed for flexibility. It's based on a summer season with no big breaks from what iv heard.
If all 10 clubs agree to it I certainly can't see it being any worse than what they are doing now, my feeling is that it would be an improvement by some way on what try are doing now.
waddell

#27 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

Barrow island and walney are for it from what i know, I just hope the other Furness clubs see the sense in it

Edited by joe elliot, 04 November 2012 - 11:29 AM.

waddell

#28 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:58 AM

Out of interest, does anyone know how many home games were canceled for the Barrow based clubs over the last season by teams not traveling?
Also, how many forfeited games did Ulverston have enroute to winning the league?

#29 shawy13

shawy13
  • Coach
  • 225 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:36 AM

Ulverston and Hindpool both had about 6 in division 3. Roose and Walney both had at least 2 each in division 1.
There has been plenty of games forfeited and not all involve Cumbrian sides. I think that we need to give the NWML at least another season so teams can be placed at the appropriate level.

#30 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,886 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

Division 3 was a nightmare this year by all accounts, it seems to have had by far the most 24-0s.

#31 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:07 PM

It looks to me like it could work and be a very good venture, but realistically it needs 10-12 teams to work. The biggest gripe in west Cumbria is from clubs not having regular games, mainly caused by gaps due to the number of cup games. If the league could get up and running with 12 teams, Cumbria Cup and one local competition for each end, then I think we could see a fantastic level of competition.
I can't see why the Barrow clubs are so apprehensive if it didn't work they could always go back to the NWC

#32 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,886 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:17 PM

NW Men's premier will be interesting with the loss of up to 5 clubs to the NCL, the potential loss of Barrow clubs, the loss of Rylands and Golborne Parkside to winter and the problems at Halton Simms Cross, Widnes St Maries and Clock Face Miners.

#33 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:42 AM

If that's going to be the case in the NWC then surely its better to form our own Cumbrian based competition with established sides who will oprovide a more even level of competition?
I think we are in danger if missing a fantastic opportunity here to give Cumbrian RL some identity

#34 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

I think the same, it looks like the Northwest mens league is going to be even weaker than it was this year.
waddell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users