Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The city or countryside!

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:39 AM

Although I like visiting cities and what they have to offer, it's the countryside and coast that pulls the heartstrings for me. I do know of people who hate the countryside and wouldn't dream of living anywhere else other than in a city. Some city dwellers have never even seen farm animals apart from on TV.

What's your preference and what attractions do you enjoy?

#2 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,074 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:44 AM

I would like more or less everyone to live in the city. There are a number of advantages

- all services within a short distance
- reduced nee for personal transport except bikes
- generally three or four degrees warmer than the surrounding countryside

I prefer living in the country, though
- largely because most others live in the city! :)

Edited by JohnM, 28 October 2012 - 09:44 AM.

#3 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:49 AM

I would like more or less everyone to live in the city. There are a number of advantages

- all services within a short distance
- reduced nee for personal transport except bikes
- generally three or four degrees warmer than the surrounding countryside

I prefer living in the country, though
- largely because most others live in the city! :)

John, just wondering if you own a beach hut that are now very popular. I'm sure I saw some very colourful ones on TV in your neck of the woods.

#4 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,082 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:27 AM

I grew up in the South Wales countryside and will go back when I retire.

Till then there's so much more to do in the city.

One thing I regret is that, because I got divorced, my kids went to school in the city. I think it's far better for kids to be educated in a more rural and quieter environment. They grow up and can get disillusioned too soon in the city.

Having said that, Bradford is the world's biggest village; it's very friendly and there is countryside surrounding the city to the north, south and west. Beyond the ring road, most of its suburbs have also managed to retain their individual character. I live three miles from the city centre and there are fields on my road ... with grazing cows, horses, a donkey and two llamas.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#5 heartofGold

heartofGold
  • Coach
  • 289 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:55 AM

I think my daughter summed it up perfectly when we were in the country. She said "I hate being somewhere where I don't know the name of anything"

oy shked helwa el horiya

#6 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:03 AM

City. This country has some of, if not the best, countryside/green views in the world. For me, walking around somewhere like Bath with its richness of history and architecture, amazes me far more than the countryside ever could.

#7 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,870 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:10 AM

I grew up in the countryside. It was alright but not a lot going on. I now live not far from a city centre and in 15 minutes can be in the countryside. Work is what dictates were most people live. I am not going to spend a few hours each day commuting into work just so that I can live in the countryside.
Fides invicta triumphat

#8 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,074 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:27 AM

John, just wondering if you own a beach hut that are now very popular. I'm sure I saw some very colourful ones on TV in your neck of the woods.

I'll steer away from getting one Someone has got into the habit of torching them. Something like 20 have been burnt down in the last 5 years. . We live only 700 yards from the beach in any case.

The local council ran a competition to find some innovative beach huts eg.http://www.architect...5212829.article

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,210 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:29 AM

Like someone once said - I don't really like the countryside, but I know it's necessary to keep all the towns apart.

LUNEW.jpg

#10 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,925 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:14 PM

lived in the countryside for over 30 years, but always handy for the city-Norwich and Leeds.
Woiuldn't want it any different.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#11 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

I was born and brought up in Leeds, I have lived in Philadelphia,now I live about 20 munites from "center"city Philly. I love the country side,but living where I live now I am thankful for a mall just close by,so we can go and see and be among people
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#12 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:26 PM

I grew up in the South Wales countryside and will go back when I retire.

Till then there's so much more to do in the city.

One thing I regret is that, because I got divorced, my kids went to school in the city. I think it's far better for kids to be educated in a more rural and quieter environment. They grow up and can get disillusioned too soon in the city.

Having said that, Bradford is the world's biggest village; it's very friendly and there is countryside surrounding the city to the north, south and west. Beyond the ring road, most of its suburbs have also managed to retain their individual character. I live three miles from the city centre and there are fields on my road ... with grazing cows, horses, a donkey and two llamas.

I enjoyed a memorable holiday walking the coastline in St David's, South Wales. For me, the peacefulness and beauty of the countryside is so uplifting.

#13 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,312 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:35 PM

Live in the centre of Swindon, well in an SN1 postcode, but within 5mins walk of the countryside so not too bad.

Want to live within a 5min walk of a good surf break so my order of preferance is

Coast
Countryside
City

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#14 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,870 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:44 PM

Live in the centre of Swindon, well in an SN1 postcode, but within 5mins walk of the countryside so not too bad.

Want to live within a 5min walk of a good surf break so my order of preferance is

Coast
Countryside
City

But its still Swindon :P
Fides invicta triumphat

#15 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,926 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:50 PM

I was born and brought up in Leeds, I have lived in Philadelphia,now I live about 20 munites from "center"city Philly. I love the country side,but living where I live now I am thankful for a mall just close by,so we can go and see and be among people

Even though those "people" are Yanks? :blink:

Drove through Philadelphia once, it's an interesting place of extremities, probably like most big American cities. Centre is very modern, clean and well looked after. The rest isn't.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#16 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,082 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:08 PM

Swindon has Avebury, which is awesome.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#17 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,312 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:18 PM

Jealousy is a terrible thing!

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#18 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:19 PM

Urban or rural? I've lived in both and it has to be the countryside for me.

I need the space for both my mind and body to roam, and I have that in abundance here. I can be out of the village within a couple of minutes and them I've got practically unlimited terrain to explore and exercise in. Farmland, forestry plantations, tracks, footpaths, hills, valleys - space! And the great thing is that it feels as though it is there just for my enjoyment. Although stunningly beautiful in parts, the area around Methven remains unvisited by tourists, and even largely unknown by locals. I could visit one of my 'special places' - a particular spot by the River Almond, the woodland at Keillour, Methven Loch - sit all day and not see another soul.

Cities and towns are fine for some things, but then I've got Perth and Dundee just down the road, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen just a bit further out, so I don't feel as though I'm missing out.

No, give me the open spaces any day.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#19 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:50 PM

Drove through Philadelphia once, it's an interesting place of extremities, probably like most big American cities. Centre is very modern, clean and well looked after. The rest isn't.

yes from centre city just go down 19th street you will go throu an area worse than any estate you see in Britain.Yes I am gregarious even if there are some annoying yanks.Ive started going to the bar at a different time to avoid one of em,but there are ok ones
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#20 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:38 PM

Do you live in Hull?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users